Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming near Duck Key in Florida
Quote | Reply
I sm staying for a few days on Duck Key in Florida and would love to swim some . I was told that swimming in the channels is not recommended but clearly neither the pool nor the lagoon are set up for anything other than frolicking in the water.

What are the best options near here to swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming near Duck Key in Florida [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a guy who has spent a lot of time around there both in and out of the water - you definitely DO NOT want to swim in those channels. I see tourists paddle board in there and even that sketches me out. I have caught/seen some LARGE bull sharks off those docks morning through night.

Find a pool haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam a couple k in the lagoon one evening. wasn't too bad.

edit. that was pre hurricane, so not sure of the state of it now
Last edited by: sooners175: Apr 15, 19 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I used to live just North of the Keys, it was a shorter drive to Key Largo than to Miami. That said I did not spend much in the lower Keys. I remember a lot of boat traffic in the channels between the Keys and shallow water around the Keys themselves. One evening we watched people wading in the shallows and from the bridge we were on we could see many sharks. Not big ones but many.

There is the 'Swim around Key West'.

Can you find a swimming pool?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming near Duck Key in Florida [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finding a pool has been the challenge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you staying? Hawks Cay? If so, I'm jealous. Went a few years back and love it there.

There really wasn't anything I could see when we stayed there. A guy was doing "laps" in the lagoon one day. There's an adults only pool there that might be clear very early in the morning, but it short of 25 yds by a bit (been a couple years). There's a decent amount of boat traffic in the canals. They do have some state parks that have some "beach" access that you can probably get some open water swimming in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Herbert, I know of a good OWS group in Islamorada (about 25mins away) & there's also the option of seeing if The Race Club has any public sessions as it's one of the premier training facilities in the US.

Shoot me an email/FB/text if you'd like me to get you connected w/ that crew in Islamorada as they're great people.

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply