Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Snapped quick link
Quote | Reply
So my first Tri of the season didn't exactly go to plan!

Felt great for the whole 4 minutes I was on the bike - a winter of hard training clearly pays dividends! Got the the first roundabout, bit of traffic so I tried to squeeze into a gap. Got up on the pedals, powered through and BOOM. Well, no boom, definitely more of a whimper. I initially thought my foot had come unclipped until I saw my chain sliding underneath me.

Snapping chains always worrys me, I've only ever done it once before in 7 years of riding and that was my own dumb fault for not putting the pin in right. This time the quick link had completely snapped, but I wanted to check in on a couple of things. First off, my chain was pretty greased up. Not appallingly so, but it wasn't the same kind of cleanliness I usually strive for. When a quick link actually snaps is it just a case of bad luck? I certainly can't put out massive watts, but I'm just trying to establish if there was any user error I can avoid in the future!

Secondly, if the chain had snapped anywhere else I'd be buying a new one, but as it was only the quick link that snapped would I be safe to assume the chain is ok and it wasn't wear that caused it? Tempted to get a new chain anyway (and possibly be a little more proactive in replacing older chains, especially on the road bike as I love short sharp hill sprints and today's snappage was pretty scary for a moment!)

Any advice much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Snapped quick link [Pb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Few questions:
How old is the chain?
How long since you last snapped in the quick link?
How many times have you reused the quick link?
Quote Reply
Re: Snapped quick link [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chain is probably 3 years now, but with only 150 hours or so of riding on it because I do most on my road bike. (road bike chain is 10,000 miles in so that's my worry now!)

The only other chain I've ever snapped was an older 10 speed that's been long since retired (and was purely because I didn't put the pin through all the way by accident) which actually prompted my switch to quick links.

Never reused the link or any others for this exact reason, I've always figured they are cheap enough to chuck away!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice...but how long since you installed that chain? I'm wondering whether it didn't snap in all the way. Which quicklink is it? The KMC ones snap in pretty soft but the SRAM eagle links takes a good stomp on the pedal to set. I've heard the new shimanos are the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Snapped quick link [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll see if I can get a photo of the snap on here, but that leads me to think it was set in properly because of the way it's snapped. This quick link had probably been in it 2 years from new and never reopened.

Thinking about it I wouldn't be surprised if it's a softer link. Unsure on brand but they were eBays cheapest (wrongly assumed they would all be the same!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, that sounds like the answer!

I think you got what you paid for there!

I get the kmc links off Amazon. They're about $5 a piece and I'll reuse them a few times before I toss them. (actually, what usually happens is they go in the sonicator with the chain in soapy water. Then I toss the water and the quick link with it. My quick link garden is often seeded but yet to sprout.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pb wrote:
Unsure on brand but they were eBays cheapest
Bingo!

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Snapped quick link [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet, simple mistake and fortunately I didn't come off so I'd say I've done alright there. Will get some decent ones and maybe treat myself to a new chain for the road bike just in case as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, do you think you were cross chained much when it broke? See very few failures of quick links when installed properly.... glad you weren’t injured!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pb wrote:
... (road bike chain is 10,000 miles in so that's my worry now!) ...

That is lot of miles to have on a chain. I would certainly change it but I'd also change the cassette and chain rings while I'm at it. At the very least have a bike shop look at them. If you've got a new cassette around compare the teeth on it to the old one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM and Wippermann Connex are solid. Wippermanns are also reusable and you can install/remove without any tools.

Pb wrote:
Sweet, simple mistake and fortunately I didn't come off so I'd say I've done alright there. Will get some decent ones and maybe treat myself to a new chain for the road bike just in case as well!

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Snapped quick link [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talking head wrote:
Just out of curiosity, do you think you were cross chained much when it broke? See very few failures of quick links when installed properly.... glad you weren’t injured!

Yep, not fully but I was getting towards the bottom of the cassette in the small ring. I see where you're going though, I imagine there's a lot more lateral strain that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Snapped quick link [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Pb wrote:
... (road bike chain is 10,000 miles in so that's my worry now!) ...

That is lot of miles to have on a chain. I would certainly change it but I'd also change the cassette and chain rings while I'm at it. At the very least have a bike shop look at them. If you've got a new cassette around compare the teeth on it to the old one.

Another good point, I've got some wiggle vouchers so no real excuse not to when it's a safety thing. Tbf I think the rear cassettes are all pretty good and have been changed over the years intermittently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mid range SRAM is fine, if you can figure out how to open the package. I bought some of the special pliers for working with those quick links and found that they are very helpful and encouraged me to remove the chain more often to clean it. When you reinstall the link it has to snap but it sounds like in your case it just simply failed. as others have mentioned your road bike changed interval is a little over the top
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I wanted to add something I bought some of those Chinese chains off eBay to use on junior bikes and they were such rubbish I ended up throwing them away. The quick links we're especially bad
Quote Reply