Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming with a pool buoy
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend a good swim set (approx 45 mins) with a pool buoy
Have sprained my ankle so can’t use my legs but want to keep training for next couple of weeks as doing my 3rd triathlon in the summer
Also have hand paddles and a float
Thanks
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with a pool buoy [mikec27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also have hand paddles and a float//

Isn't a float the pull buoy? Anyway you can do any set you want, ones you would have done without the pull buoy, except for diving from the blocks sets. Not really great for strokes, except maybe breaststroke. I like to do longish sets of 100/150/200's on short rest, as most people swim same times with lower heart rates with the gear. Sometimes even do long TT's, like 1000/1650's...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6x 400m on 15sec rest. Use power paddles on even numbered sets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can also tie your legs together at the ankles and do pull sets that way - try some 25s, 50s, and 100s. That will really help with body position and pulling with your lats.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with a pool buoy [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
you can also tie your legs together at the ankles and do pull sets that way - try some 25s, 50s, and 100s. That will really help with body position and pulling with your lats.

Sprained ankle probably would prevent that idea. What about mixing up the laps with the pull buoy held between the calves as well as in the traditional place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I blew out my knee a couple of months ago, and essentially it was just do the normal practices, but as pull instead of swim.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with a pool buoy [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Sprained ankle probably would prevent that idea. What about mixing up the laps with the pull buoy held between the calves as well as in the traditional place.

well, put leg-band on shins then...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with a pool buoy [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is a "pull set"? Paddles with buoy?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with a pool buoy [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
What is a "pull set"? Paddles with buoy?

A pull set is any set where you use the pull buoy between your thighs or ankles, and hence do not kick. You can pull with paddles or w/o. When you swim w/o the buoy and hence are presumably kicking at least a little, then you are swimming "full stroke", but most swim workouts don't usually say that but rather just indicate pull sets and kick sets, and then everything else is full stroke. Kicking w/ or w/o the kick board is a kick set. Also, a "set" refers to two or more swims; each swim within a given set is called a "repeat" or just 100, 200, or whatever distance you're repeating. A set does not refer to one swim though many STers seem to think it does, e.g. 10 x 100 free is a set with each 100 being a repeat, vs doing a 500 free for time is a swim or time trial, etc. And then 2 x 500 would also be a set. Also, a "ladder" is considered a set, e.g where you go 50-100-200-300-200-100-50 and try to hold the first 50 pace for the whole set. A ladder can go as high as you want and include various increments, e.g. 50-100-150-200-250-300, then back down.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with a pool buoy [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Pulls use a pull buoy and paddles are optional? (If no mention of them).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
Thanks. Pulls use a pull buoy and paddles are optional? (If no mention of them).

Right, you can pull with or w/o paddles. Also, you could swim with just paddles and no buoy, which would be "swim w/ paddles". There are many options in swimming!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pulls use a pull buoy and paddles are optional?
---

It's been my experience that pull sets are just a buoy. If paddles are included the set, then it'll be specifically written. I suppose if you're self-coached, then you could easily make it optional. Conversely, in kick sets, the default is with a board. Kicking without a board is excellent practice but the set will specifically state that it is board free.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply