Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, how did the interview go? Anything interesting or that stands out for you in what she said?
Quote Reply
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interview went great. She's clearly had some media training and taken to it well. I have even greater respect for her after the chat.

There are some things that stood out to me...
  • Races sans watch - this is probably a carry over from ITU days, but clearly her races are all about going for the win and more about mental drive and moving forward than anything else. This came up because I asked her about her first Kona when she got 2nd to Mirinda Carefree 2014. Daniela was describing the out-n-back in the Energy Lab and that's where she got passed. I asked if she took a split at the turnaround cone to judge the gap and she revealed that she races without a watch.
  • We spoke of earlier years when she was racing draft legal in the Olympic Pipeline for Switzerland and she spoke of her coach by name on a few occasions. Later when she shifted to non-draft, long course, she changed coaches and referred to "her coach" and left his name off. I found that to be a smart choice.
  • She's seems very loyal and loving to her home nation - she won some very big races in Lausanne, she rides on DT Swiss wheels, she's sponsored by what seems to be a Swiss national energy company.
  • She studied food science at the university level and it makes her a great partner for any nutritional company
  • She's funny, articulate (in this second language), attentive, a great interview in the sense that she has no agenda to push, she's a soft seller of her partners, she's willing to answer questions.
  • I was pleasantly surprised that she down plays some of her income - I asked her about winning $1 mil in the Triple Crown and she's - very smoothly - guided us off that.
  • Also, she rests HARD and LONG in her off seasons: she puts on weight, often does little to no exercise for sometimes a few months. That struck me.
  • When she trains at altitude she regularly sleeps 10 hours a night + two 1 hour naps each day
I should have the video up soon.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the interview
https://www.youtube.com/...v=2lhRnEZvsP8&t=

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Apr 29, 19 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI you timestamp linked to the end of the interview
Quote Reply
Re: Interviewing Daniela Ryf for the LA Tri Club - what should I ask her? [ryla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fixed. Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next