Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ST Powertap acquisition article...
Quote | Reply
I agree with Dan. I think Saris has neglected their hub for some time.

Some responses to Dan's article:
  • DT Swiss made the shell and removable freehub body for the Powertap G3 and GS, so Saris very much was not neglecting the quality of the hub design
  • With that said, the removable freehub body can be replaced with both a XDR and the new XTR equivalent freehubs
  • Dan failed to mention the G4 hub, which accepts a standard 6 bolt disc rotor
  • the DCR article covering this quoted the SRAM CEO as being specifically interested in the G4 hub
  • The GS (straightpull DT Swiss 240 hub) powertap sold for $300 for a good while - that was one hell of a price point

So why hub vs crank?
  • direct mount chain rings
  • Oval chain rings
  • 3T and THM cranks (that's petty, as the DUB cranks are nearly as light and half the price!)
  • Price:

While I'm a Powertap advocate, I don't think wheel swapping is much fun, so that's not an argument. But, if we're talking OEM spec'd components, if you can get a Zipp wheelset for $200 more with a powermeter in the hub, things get interesting. What may be the deal breaker there is the price of Zipp wheels. I mean, a set of Nextie/i9/Hunt rims with Industry Nine hubs are half the price and just as nice, if not nicer. Is a Zipp Cognition hub as durable and nice as a DT Swiss 240 or i9 Hydra hub??

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: ST Powertap acquisition article... [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the new DUB cranks are almost as light as THM? Wow, didn't know that. Where are the weight listed? I still haven't seen any weight specs for AXS components.

I exclusively train indoors so my rear wheel is a race-only thing for me. A hub PM is the only type I'm really interested in. If the next gen hub isn't as bulky looking as the last one, I might swap that in.
Quote Reply
Re: ST Powertap acquisition article... [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure that DT Swiss did not make the hub shell for the G3.
Quote Reply
Re: ST Powertap acquisition article... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spoke with a PT rep and he said they were involved, hence the DT swiss star ratchet freehub mech. But, maybe they were involved with just the freehub on the G3. That said, they were 100% involved with the GS hub. That is a 240s, plain and simple.

DUB crank: I too have not seen the AXS road weights. The DUB mtb crank is almost exactly the same weight as a THM M3 crankset, which is damn impressive. The AXS road GXP crankset doesn't appear to provide much weight savings

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply