Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Extreme Athleticism the New Midlife Crisis?
Quote | Reply
The "extreme" may not apply to many here : > but you never know

this is the clickbaity title of an article about middle-aged folks going to extremes in sport -- crossfit, running, the t-word.

https://elemental.medium.com/...-crisis-d87199a18bed

the article is good but no big reveals.

I'm well along with rehabbing out of a compensation that nearly crippled me. I intend to run again, road cycling probably not. Extreme? Maybe. It won't be fast.

Do any of you still go to max in terms of distance or lifting or whatever?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Extreme Athleticism the New Midlife Crisis? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do get caught up with Strava leaderboards etc. On vacation last year I went after (and collected) all 26 of the running KOM's in the suburb I visited (probably the cause of my torn medial meniscus).

Now i've fired back up on the bike.

I'm not sure I'll race again (because of the running related injury) but I don't like the thought of physical decline and am perhaps in denial - Do not go quietly into the night ...

It makes me feel good about myself as I'm not kicking goals in other aspects of life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always has been. Nothing new. The sagas of people on a trivial impossible mission at middle age is as old as time.

Moses. Famous mountain climbers. Race car drivers hanging on forever (Earnhardt). Etc.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. Everyone is trying to deny their mortality.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything in moderation.

(And trail running is highly overrated.)

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No individual extremes but a ton of variety at the ripe old age of 41.

Case in point I am typing this coming off of a hour long run followed by sauna/ice cold shower while waiting for my wife to drop off our 7 year old at the gym so we can do a few hours of indoor bouldering.

Tomorrow AM I will probably do an early 1.5 hour gravel bike ride.

After a few years of the T word I really enjoy mixing it up vs a set s/b/r routine.

Edit to add it may be a bit of mid life mortality realization but I'm not sure. The 2 big drivers for me are to set a good example being active and curious for the 7 year old but also it helps me mentally a good deal.
Last edited by: Skipjack: Apr 13, 19 10:04
Quote Reply