Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help on wheel set: 60/60 or 60/90
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am about to buy new wheel set for my tt bike. Currently I am riding 30mm training wheels and have never experienced deep section wheel.
I have good price on new set of FFWD. Today tested 60 front / 60 back, awesome. 60/60 seems to me versatile option for every day training and racing.

Should i consider 60 front and 90 back? Are there real benefits of having 90 vs 60 at the back?

What could be disadvantages of 90mm on the back wheel for every days use and racing rolling hills?

I am riding flatish terrain, with some hills and rolling hill local races in south east asia.

Price difference is very small, weight wise 150gr 60/90 heavier.
Last edited by: SM14: Apr 13, 19 3:13
Quote Reply
Re: Need help on wheel set: 60/60 or 60/90 [SM14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I bought my first set of wheels, I bought 60/90. I had never ridden anything deep before. I chose the 60 front because I was worried about handling in the wind. I had no handling issues at all, and regretted not starting with a 90/90. I rode those as everyday and race wheels. Now I am on a 90/disc set that are my everyday and race wheels.

You will not notice the difference between a 60 or 90 on the back. In fact, a 90 on the back will probably make the bike more stable by moving the center of wind force rearward. And of course, the 90 is probably a tiny bit faster. And faster is better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The next person to come on will tell you to buy the 60/60s but get a disc cover for racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of riding are you buying them for?
Quote Reply
Re: Need help on wheel set: 60/60 or 60/90 [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
The next person to come on will tell you to buy the 60/60s but get a disc cover for racing.

This is what I am facing when talking to few guys who has been riding for a long time. They have disk, and said for pan flat course will throw a disk. and 60/60 is more practical for daily training and riding.

with 90 mm on the back wheel, I am trying to capture most aero I can get without spending too much and having different racing wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help on wheel set: 60/60 or 60/90 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
When I bought my first set of wheels, I bought 60/90. I had never ridden anything deep before. I chose the 60 front because I was worried about handling in the wind. I had no handling issues at all, and regretted not starting with a 90/90. I rode those as everyday and race wheels. Now I am on a 90/disc set that are my everyday and race wheels.

You will not notice the difference between a 60 or 90 on the back. In fact, a 90 on the back will probably make the bike more stable by moving the center of wind force rearward. And of course, the 90 is probably a tiny bit faster. And faster is better.

Thanks exxxviii - read and heard that 90 has disadvantage of slower acceleration and going uphill could make it a big harder. But I guess for hilly course selection of right cassette plays more important role then additional 150-200 gr of the back wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: Need help on wheel set: 60/60 or 60/90 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am buying them for training and racing. Living in warm climate I have a luxury of making most of the outside riding. So my training rides are 75% outdoor with some indoor session when I need to safe time or do specific training on turbo. Training ground is flat with small hills.

I am doing 70.3 distance only. Racing contortions are rolling hills elevation ranging from 800m to 1500m over 70.3 distance. Some courses has brutal hills at the begining, but nothing crazy in terms of Alps or big climbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went down this road before and came away thinking that a 90 in back makes very little sense. Not great for cycling and slower than a disc for tri (and bad in wind). I would go 60/60 or 60/disc. Disc cover is annoying to add and remove constantly. if money is an issue, get it; otherwise just get the full disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help on wheel set: 60/60 or 60/90 [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:

Because this is the best advice.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SM14 wrote:
read and heard that 90 has disadvantage of slower acceleration and going uphill could make it a big harder. But I guess for hilly course selection of right cassette plays more important role then additional 150-200 gr of the back wheel?
The weight of the 90 vs. the 60 will probably have no material impact here. Remember that you will gain advantage with the wheels from both the mass and the better aero-ness when going back down the hills. So net, the delta because of weight may not be measurable.

Soon after I got my carbon clincher 60/90 set, I rode a century on my TT bike with 12K feet of climbing. I never thought it was hard because of the wheels. :)
Quote Reply