Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners (who pretend they qualify) = lame [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel pretty confident that most people ( way greater than 90%) are not even aware that Boston is a qualification event, vs. just a famous marathon you sign up for and run for fun.


Tsunami wrote:
guessing 90% of the US population surely does not know "what it takes" to "run Boston". Let alone if you cast a larger net.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners (who pretend they qualify) = lame [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my brothers is recently retired US Army SF and the BAA used to give his group I guess what you'd call "charity" slots to Boston. A couple of years they had slots leftover and he asked me if I wanted to take one of them. I always declined. Not on some moral high ground but because the race was always the week before/same week/week after the Texas 70.3... and I'm more triathlete than I am runner. I regret not taking up the offer at least one of those years. While I've run my fair share of IM marathons, I have zero desire to run a stand alone marathon because I know I'd want to qualify for Boston if I did one and the thought of running that hard for 26.2 miles sounds about as appealing as jerking off with a fistful of glass. So doing Boston without actually putting in the qualifying effort sounds like a way better option. :-)

To address the OP and topic at hand... who gives a shit how or why people are running Boston? Posts like these or non-qualifier posts about Kona are asinine. Anyone who starts these topics comes off like a first class dickwad.

2018 Races:
INJURED

Favorite Gear: Dimond Bikes | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners (who pretend they qualify) = lame [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude sounds like a douche. Over/under on him walking the last 6 miles?
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners (who pretend they qualify) = lame [jjoseph49] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjoseph49 wrote:
what the f is your problem..

Evidently you are a runner that either has made Boston qualifying, or feels you would.

Let's be real -- Not everyone is a runner capable of qualifying for Boston -- no matter how many things they might do -- they might get their weight down, run copious amounts of hours, and do all the right things possible --- but yet based basically because of past physical fitness, genetics, or a host of possible factors -- have no chance whatsoever to ever meet a Boston qualifying standard.

I didnt realize that it was an obligation to make sure everyone gets a chance to participate. I have no issues with people overcoming obstacles and doing their best, theres tons of of marathons and races where this can be done at. But lets not lie to ourselves, people raise tons of money to race Boston only because its Boston. If these people are so altruistic why not raise money at one of the thousands of other races? I get that some people will never be able qualify for Boston regardless of what they do. What can i say, life isnt fair and sometimes sucks. Im super thin, so no matter how much i love football and basketball i accept the fact that it isnt in my genetics to play competitevely. Fair or unfair thats how it is. Only in running and triathlon some people feel that they should be allowed to paricipate in every race. Reading some of these posts make me realize why playing dodgeball isnt allowed in many schools and why youth sports leagues dont keep score so that everyone can be a winner. Anyways, go ahead and flame away and tell me how im a dick for thinking that some things should be earned.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners (who pretend they qualify) = lame [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners (who pretend they qualify) = lame [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bloodyshogun wrote:
I feel pretty confident that most people ( way greater than 90%) are not even aware that Boston is a qualification event, vs. just a famous marathon you sign up for and run for fun.


Tsunami wrote:
guessing 90% of the US population surely does not know "what it takes" to "run Boston". Let alone if you cast a larger net.

A month or so ago, people started coming up to me - I've been accused of being a marathoner, and people have said I do ultras - saying "Didja know Tony was running the Boston Marathon?"

I think their impression was that it was "invitation only" ... which is kinda correct, from a certain point of view

Blessed are the Nobodies, for Theirs is the Kingdom of Fascinating Stories
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners (who pretend they qualify) = lame [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Dude sounds like a douche. Over/under on him walking the last 6 miles?

Um, running 20, then walking 6 does NOT necessarily make one a douche

People have bad days

However, a douche may run 20, and say "That's close enough. I'll get my medal. I'm good" and walk the final 10K and be perfectly happy with it

Blessed are the Nobodies, for Theirs is the Kingdom of Fascinating Stories
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners = lame [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Why do you care about what other people do?

If qualifying for Boston is the important thing to you, then you can simply "not" sign up to get in via charity.

I have yet to meet anyone running on a charity bib that hasn't been up front about it. I even just donated to someone's charity bib this morning to make sure she could run on Monday...

And yes I am running on Monday. And no I don't give a crap that somewhere, behind me, is a wave of people who raised money to get in.

Edit to add: whenever I meet someone who says they are running Boston, instead of asking what their qualifying time is, I ask them what race they qualified at. Not because I am trying to sniff out if they are running on a charity bib, but because I am always curious. I have had a handful of people answer straight up that they are running with a charity bib - they weren't trying to hide that fact.

i ran boston for the first time this year and used that question to generate small talk (not to vet charity vs BQ'ers). i was surprised after the first few people mentioned charity and realized maybe i should stop asking the question.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners (who pretend they qualify) = lame [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Said





STConcierge wrote:
wintershade wrote:
rrheisler wrote:
You're attempting to solve for a problem that simply does not exist. There will always be non-qualifiers at Boston.


Yeah, I get it. And like I said, I'm at peace with it now. Thanks for all including yourself for enlightening me. I'm not longer on a rampage to humiliate all charity runners.

I still kind of question the motives of some Boston charity runners though, especially from those who are from out of state. Why not raise the money for your local or nearest "big city" marathon (like Chicago, or NY, or even Disney for that matter)? Perhaps they're clinging to the more "elite" status of Boston because in the mind of most, you have to qualify to participate. I don't know, I've just met too many fakers. But I suppose it's the peril of living in Silicon Valley, where you have to "fake it till you make it" apparently.


People fundraise because Boston is Boston, the grand-daddy of them all and where the "modern" fascination with marathons began. It's legend, and that million spectators roaring the whole way is incredible. You raise your hand going thru Framingham... "ROAR!" you run along Comm ave to slap hands with the spectators... "ROOOOAR." You make that left hand turn onto Boylston, wave your hand, and the cheering is so loud you can feel it come up through your feet and through your whole body. Hands raw from high fiving everyone you see.
Those people lining the course cheer louder for the folks at the back because they know a marathon is really hard work, no matter how you got there.
Why do people want to do Boston so badly?
Do you want to make the right turn from Hualalai onto Alii, take the little jog under the banyan tree and run towards the bright lights, high fiving every little kid along the way?
Why Boston because Why Kona.

___________ https://www.instagram.com/toothengineer/ https://www.strava.com/dashboard https://slfmotion.com

2019: IMTX, Rookie, 70.3 Worlds, Lifetime Oly
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners = lame [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
rrheisler wrote:
Yeah, you're completely missing something. Namely that without the tens of millions of dollars that these runners raise every year, the city wouldn't give two shits about the event anymore.

It doesn't cheapen shit. The vast majority of the field qualifies. The charity field is a staple of the event. Heaven fuck forbid that you somehow feel slighted that this part of the field exists when it's incredibly important to the fabric of the event. Learn some history of the race and why those bibs exist.


You raise a good point. Though what if you made qualifiers also raise some money? So everyone both has to qualify and raise money for a charity of their choice?

I personally don't feel slighted by the fact that there are charity runners. I just feel annoyed by people who "brag" about running Boston in a way that puts themselves and their supposed athletic accomplishment front and center, rather than the charity they're supporting. For example, the CEO I spoke with today could have said "I'm running Boston to raise awareness of XYZ issue." My reaction to that would have been, "cool, now there's a stand-up guy, working hard to support a cause."
I don't think you're thinking straight!

Firstly: You want every runner to be required to raise money for charity just because of your fear that charity runners might steal a little of your imagined prestige?

Secondly: You think that because someone raises money for charity as part of their participation in an event they are then obliged to wave that charity's flag at every opportunity?


Sure, if someone intentionally implies they have achieved a qualifying time, that's rather dishonest. But ultimately it's just a bit pathetic and it's their own problem. I struggle to see how it undermines anyone else's achievement's or aspirations.

Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks. Run because you enjoy it, not because you think others are impressed. It's extremely unlikely anyone cares a whole lot about your athletic ability besides you.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners (who pretend they qualify) = lame [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything in today's universe has been made for the masses so what is the big deal?

If you have a $35,000 Tesla and someone asks "what kind of car do you drive?"....do you demand the person to say "I have a Tesla or must he state "i have the cheap $35,000 Tesla"?

If a person qualifies for the Olympics from a small country does he must state "I am only at the Olympics because no one else from my country is fast or strong?"

You sound like you have your own "EGO" problem if you say someone must state "I am a Charity Boston runner not a BQ". Does that make you feel better about your own accomplishment so people think your so great?

I have raced Kona, Boston, Spartan Championships and plenty of other big name qualifying championships and have finished in upper 10%. I used to buy tshirts and jackets (thankfully i never got an IM TATOO) to let people know how great I am so they could admire and only dream of being like me.

The more success and wisdom you have the less you care about what other people are doing and saying.

If it makes some feel good about themselves telling people they are running Boston let them raise money and run 26.2 miles. If it makes you feel better looking at their slower results and thinking they shouldn't be there go ahead but keep it yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners = lame [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Why do you care about what other people do?

If qualifying for Boston is the important thing to you, then you can simply "not" sign up to get in via charity.

I have yet to meet anyone running on a charity bib that hasn't been up front about it. I even just donated to someone's charity bib this morning to make sure she could run on Monday...

And yes I am running on Monday. And no I don't give a crap that somewhere, behind me, is a wave of people who raised money to get in.

Edit to add: whenever I meet someone who says they are running Boston, instead of asking what their qualifying time is, I ask them what race they qualified at. Not because I am trying to sniff out if they are running on a charity bib, but because I am always curious. I have had a handful of people answer straight up that they are running with a charity bib - they weren't trying to hide that fact.


i ran boston for the first time this year and used that question to generate small talk (not to vet charity vs BQ'ers). i was surprised after the first few people mentioned charity and realized maybe i should stop asking the question.

Honestly I am always impressed by anyone that can raise that kind of money to get a charity bib. As I said earlier in this thread, running a BQ, to me, is much easier than getting a bunch of people to give me money.

I am glad there is a way into this race that doesn't involve qualifying, but does involve doing something that is equally, if not more difficult.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant: Boston charity runners (who pretend they qualify) = lame [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey You named your own attributes -- not me.

Let's be real -- there's 2 basic types of people among those who've qualified for Boston on time...
1. Those who know that they have the genetics, time available for training, luckily no physical problems, etc.
When you meet one of this group -- they bend over backwards to say how thankful they are, they note they have family/friends/group runners/etc that help them out, and that 'their' accomplishment was possible only through a lot of factors. They do most of their running, without making any kind of bit deal about it -- such that one might never know they are a runner.

then there are:
2. Those who think that having qualified for Boston makes them God's gift to the rest of us. They wear their finisher shirt not with pride, but with arrogance. They tell everyone every day what their workouts will be, and everyone knows that running is 'their' thing-- and make sure we know they are damn fast. And yes, many of them have a problem with those 'ugly' people who dare to run in the same race as them --- via any kind of exception (celebrity, charity, or otherwise).

Let's face reality -- the people in group 2 are the same people who generally have an opinion about every other person in society who doesn't meet 'their' standards for living (or whom they'd like to see in society).

"Oooo -- you couldn't play a sport as a kid because you were thin/small --- so now you'll show people since you can outrun most!". I would suggest some therapy for your past/continuing issues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next