Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

STAC Zero Halcyon
Quote | Reply
Thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these bad boys as they are so quiet in use. Suits my needs at home perfectly. I understand the limitations with them not being able to replicate 'road feel' so well. Sticking big weights on my back wheel does not seem ideal but not a deal breaker for me. Looking to see if any ST'ers have bought one and if so what are your experiences of using one? I am thinking of linking it up to grand road tours for some graphically powered riding indoors. Anybody got any words of wisdom for connecting to an online training platform? Thanks!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: STAC Zero Halcyon [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have one but wanted to pointed out that I have an elite direto which is a reasonably quiet direct drive trainer and my fan is louder than the trainer. so quiet is all relative I guess. My trainer could make know noise at all and I would still hear the fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the standard STAC and it definitely is quiet. It can be a bit of a pain getting the weights on and off, so I'm planning on building up a rear wheel for dedicated trainer use. Another thing is any rocking or flex in the back triangle/rear wheel will change the resistance. It's not a huge problem, nut just something to be aware of.

As for road feel, I haven't had to tune my much, juat kind of picked a spot for the magnets when I first got it amd reset them to the same spot when I put a new bike on. I'm prettu sure STAC has some videos/tips on how to better tune the feel of your trainer.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the STAC for 2.5 years. I live in a condo with not-so-well built floors, and with my Elite direct-drive, I would wake up the downstairs neighbours when pumping out high intensity intervals.

The STAC is completely silent – the only noise is your drivetrain (this is great as it forces you to keep up on maintenance, you will notice immediately when your chain needs a clean or some lube). What really makes noise for your neighbours, is the vibration through the floor. There is no vibration with STAC since the wheel is suspended in the air.

The weights are really easy to put on and take off, but it's ideal if you have a training wheel that you can leave them on permanently.

Road feel is a silly notion. I have used about seven different trainers and rollers and nothing ever "felt like the road." Get on there and push the watts. If you want road feel, get outside for a few rides before your next race.

I use it with Zwift on my Apple TV. Works great. If your devices support Bluetooth and Ant+, you'll be fine to use it with any software.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: STAC Zero Halcyon [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, rather than putting the weights on and off, which is a big nuisance, i use a dedicated wheel. For that purpose, the heavier the wheel, the better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the basic one since I'm perfectly capable of switching gears and adjusting my own output. I'm not sure I understand the 'road feel' argument. It's a trainer and I've never experienced a 'road feel' on any trainer. Of all the trainers I've tried, this one's my favorite and I wish I'd bought it sooner.

The weather pattern here is a bit wonky and I can get my ride in outside every once in a while. I recently tried a trainer ride without the weights ('cause I was lazy and didn't want to put them on). Yeah, I probably won't be putting them on ever again. I didn't really need the weights since they don't affect the resistance.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like a decicated back wheel is the way to go. No problems I can use my old power tap wheel now the power tap has died!!! Sounds like connecting to an online platform is no problem which is nice to know. Think I will pull the trigger come pay day and give my pain cave a boost. Thanks!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had one since last September and LOVE mine. It’s marvelously quiet but as others have said, my fan and drive train are louder. I had used a gen one kickr and the halcyon is smoother in erg mode and more responsive too. I primarily use TrainerRoad and the jump in power during intervals is perfect for longer segments but I still prefer resistance mode for short intervals and sprints. I particularly like how you can calibrate the power on the unit with a second power meter like a Quarq or P1 pedals. I did this and the power readings are now spot on regardless of cadence or intensity.

I am not sure how much you travel but my trainer and bike always come with me on longer trips. I like how it’s light and slim enough to pack without issues.

The extra wheel is a great idea. Just get a cheap one off eBay and put the weights on it. You don’t even need to put a tire on it. The weights are not essential but do help a lot

On Zwift, I don’t particularly like how on steep declines the resistance completely stops but I guess this is more like outside. Steeper inclines are also not “realistic” but realistic enough.

I have not played around with some of the other app features like being able to load courses but I will have to play around this season
Quote Reply
Re: STAC Zero Halcyon [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a halcyon... do your halcyon magnets hit the wheels when you first start spinning? I've noticed that on two different wheels it has taken maybe 5 seconds for the magnets to stop hitting, but once I get rolling and pushing 150w or more they don't hit. Is that normal?
Quote Reply
Re: STAC Zero Halcyon [nogluten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since this thread came around the first time, I've since updated to the smart version of the Halcyon. To wake the device up, I swish the wheel magnet back and forth in front of the sensor arm. The device wakes up and auto-calibrates. I've not had any wheel rubbing ever.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that should be happening.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It goes through a calibration cycle when you first start spinning the wheel. It squeezes the wheel a few times, then backs off. Could this be what's happening? Best practice to get a good calibration is to give the wheel 3-5 rotations, then completely stop the wheel until it's done going through the calibration cycle. It's not necessary on the new firmware (if you've got it), but it's probably good practice anyway.