Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Most Comfortable Road Helmets
Quote | Reply
Three years ago, I bought a Giro Aeon from my LBS when I got into the sport. It is what they had on the shelf that day, and it turned out to be the first nice helmet that I have ever owned in my life. It was light and incredibly comfortable compared to my previous inexpensive and pedestrian helmet I had for family bike rides.

Sadly, a few rides later I landed on my head in a crash and totally destroyed the Aeon. Turns out that it did a great job protecting me too.

I drove from the crash site back to the same LBS and bought the next nicest helmet they had-- a Bell Gage. (They did not have another Aeon.) The Gage was supposedly a very good helmet in Bell's lineup, but it has never been as comfortable. I want to dump it and get something that may be more comfortable.

So, I am curious what others think are very comfortable road helmets. I do not care at all about aero. I have a dedicated TT helmet for that. I think that weight may be a big factor-- the Aeon was advertised at around 200g. My Gage is probably 35% heavier. Or, it could just be the contact points on my noggin and strap design that made the Aeon comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Comfortable Road Helmets [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although it’s an aero helmet....the speci evade sits very nice (at least on my pumpkin) and is kinda light. Bought some Carnac road helmet at Planet X which is very light (cause of less material though) which sits good since I use it for commute but at about 8% of the evade price.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since head shapes vary so much the experiences are unique. But I went from a Giro Aeon to a Bontrager Ballista
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comfort is head shape dependent. Some helmets fit oval heads better than round heads and vice versa. I find the Bontrager Ballista and MET Manta very comfortable for my round/slightly oval head. On the contrary, the Giro Synthe exerts some pressure on my temples.
Quote Reply