Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Forest Question - dead trees?
Quote | Reply

On the right they have spent six years removing trees, that I assume are completely dead

It's mid April and many other trees also appear to look less than healthy with zero signs of life

Are there diseases that wipe out connifers or ever greens, I guess it would take decades to regrow?

For those in mountainous areas is this really common?

Surely with massive areas of exposed surface not being held in place by tree routes these areas are subject to erosion?
Quote Reply
Re: Forest Question - dead trees? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mountain pine beetle, spruce bud worm etc in my area, basically that photo looks like what I see every ride in BC.

Re growth depends on planting and management, IIRC 25 years ago we would do first and second lift pruning to 9 and 18 feet.

IE you cut everything off to promote both upward and downward (roots) growth.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Forest Question - dead trees? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what it is, but there's been no replanting for at least six years and it seems to be spreading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is that?

Replanting usually depends on who has the licence etc and within what timeline and budget that cut block fits. It could be still diseased so planting new trees would just add to the problem.

Basically if people were living at the bottom of the slope (or water shed) it would have been re-planted right away, for slope stabilization.

We have a community here which has been evacuated for over a year due to fire and now slope instability.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in Austin we have patches of dead trees and, like the previous post, it is largely due to beetles.
Now if only we could train our bat population to go after beetles...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.sanluisobispo.com/...rticle214901930.html

It's a huge problem in California due to bark beetles. They've always been here, but a combination of drought and higher temperatures has made it difficult for the trees to keep them in check. Apparently, a healthy tree can produce resin or something like that that can kill off the beetles or at least keep them in check.

Huge amounts have been spent on tree removal, but given that we're dealing with up to 200 million dead trees, many of which are in remote areas, removal is a nearly insurmountable task.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Colorado has a huge pine beetle problem. It has killed and is killing millions of trees. It’s not terrible where I live yet. But the little bastards are nearly impossible to kill and jump from one tree to the next and just keep moving. They are getting closer. It’s sad, and creates a tinderbox for lightning strikes and careless humans to start horrible fires.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Forest Question - dead trees? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
https://www.sanluisobispo.com/...rticle214901930.html It's a huge problem in California due to bark beetles.

Will sweeping the forest floor like the Finns also help with the beetles or only prevent forest fires?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
North Vancouver island?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mountain pine beetle has ravaged the forests here in BC...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chamonix, it's been like it for years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s interesting to see regrowth after cutting in CO. We actually have gorgeous Aspen groves sprouting up where ~7 years ago it was all dead trees that they aggressively cut and removed. It looks a ton healthier than the forests where they left the dead trees. Much less scary to hike through in a wind storm too.

People were really mad they cut down so much - and required home owners to do it at their own expense- but most people are pretty happy with the results now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was riding in our local mountains and met up with some forestry workers that were cutting down trees.

They said something too the extent, that they are thinning the heard. In the old days a fire would start usually by lightning and the forest would burn down, but the strong vegetation would survive or new fresh vegetation would grow.

Now a days most fires are put out pretty quickly, this causing too much vegetarian that is fighting for under ground water.

These trees are dehydrated so they don't put out enough sap to defend against the bark beetle.
Quote Reply
Re: Forest Question - dead trees? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd understand that but they have removed all this dead wood, and I think that barren section is roughly 2-300m in height and its directly behind houses and apartments. Less than 30m from property to that slope

Seems like a hazard
Quote Reply
Re: Forest Question - dead trees? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big pines use an incredible amount of water (30 plus gallons per day). It is cool to look at photos of the black hills from when photography first started to now. 100+ years ago only certain slopes had heavy trees. Now the whole damn place is packed with trees. It can really put the hurt on aquifer recharge zones.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea that pine beetle has been around for a while now and is pretty rough on the trees. The dead trees are being harvested and milled. The wood is actually kind of pretty, it has a blue stain to it. We sort of looked into buying blue pine boards for finishing a room in our basement, but it worked out that sheetrock and paint was cheaper and more in the mainstream.

I have a bit of a problem with people building homesites in forested areas, not leaving a fire break and having pine trees close to the house. I understand the privacy issues, but having grown up in timber country, I know how hot and fast a wild fire can get. It is sort of like the folks who build their house on the beach and wonder why the hurricane blew their house down. Who is paid to do the thinking in those outfits?

Leaving all those dead and dying trees is pretty scary in the wildfire department. Glad to see them harvest them. They don't pay those fire crews enough in my humble opinion.
Quote Reply