Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Contractor Question - Applying Knockdown Ceiling
Quote | Reply
So I committed to redoing my in laws kitchen. First step is the ceiling. Currently they have a smooth ceiling and looks like they applied semi-gloss white paint at one point. It looks ugly. I'm going to apply some joint compound and give them a knockdown ceiling. My questions are:

1) with the current semi-gloss paint should I sand it to give it some texture for the compound to adhere to?
2) If I sand it, there are chances there is lead paint under the current paint, this is a house from the 50-60's. Should I be concerned if I sand it? I'll wear a mask and goggles, kitchen will be tarped up.
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor Question - Applying Knockdown Ceiling [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sand it but don't sand past the current paint. Wear a disposable respirator either way.
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor Question - Applying Knockdown Ceiling [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is kind of what I was thinking, I was going to half-ass the sanding job just because all I need to do is create some texture and not really get the paint off.
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor Question - Applying Knockdown Ceiling [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, sand it a little.

If it's just paint, there is a chance. Lead wasn't completely removed from all paint until 78. Wear a good respirator, at least a NIOSH P100. 3M makes one that is only $25.
3M and the commonwealth of Mass each make EPA approved lead tests. The 3M one is $10 at Home Depot.
Quote Reply