Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Infinit Reviews
Quote | Reply
I recently listened to an Eric Schwartz Triathlon Training podcast and he interviewed the guy who started Infinit on as a guess. I have never tried it but it sounds pretty interesting (custom blends, no need for gel supplementation, etc.) and I wondered what everyone thinks of it. I have always trained and used whatever my upcoming race provides (Endurance, Clif Shots) so I don't have to worry about mixing my own cocktails and carrying my own food, but perhaps Infinit might be an option to consider...although I really am not crazy about carrying my own bottles on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Reviews [tojunialto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it. It is all I use now. I don't use their custom blends, just stock standard stuff.
On the bike I carry some caffienated Infinit and some standard, along with a concentrated bottle I can dilute as I go along from an aid station.
On the run I carry a concentrated formula and just take some water in at the aid stations.
I have never found a gel that really agreed consistently with my stomach so have just switched to Infinit pretty much these days (and some 32GI blocks).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love it. It mixes/dissolves very easily so its not a complete PITA if you want to make a concentrate bottle, and tastes great.

N=1, but I used to have major bottom of the foot cramp issues if I would run or cycle and then swim. Tried many different products that didn't fix it, but when I use Infinit I don't get that issue. A couple other people I swim with swear by it as well.

I definitely like some flavors more than others. As odd as it sounds, Dill Pickle is by far my favorite flavor when deep into a long day. Funny thing is if I sip it when not working out I don't like it.

It's worth giving it a try to see if you like it. I'm not a big fan of carrying a bottle on the run myself, but it dissolves so well you can make a strong concentrate and only need carry a small bottle. On races I used it, I tucked a 4 or 5x serving flask in the back of my kit, siped as needed and drank water from aid stations.

ETA: I don't use the custom stuff myself
Last edited by: davejustdave: Apr 11, 19 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Reviews [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those who use this at full distance as their solitary source of calories, can you explain in a bit more detail? I'm considering switching to this for going long, but as it is Norseman I'll have the luxury of a support car which can help logistically with what I need to carry.

But for general long course racing;

- what stock product do you buy, if not custom?
- how many scoops in how much water, and how many calories is this?
- how many bottles of this for the full 112 miles bike?
- do you carry both bottles or keep one in special needs?
- do you know how many calories/grams carbohydrate does this get you per hour?
- is this your only source of electrolytes?
- do you hydrate with plain water from the course?
- do you have a contingency plan? In case of doing a Lucy Charles Kona 18 stunt?

A lot of questions! Thanks :-)

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Infinit for several years. I use it as my only bike nutrition for 70.3 but for 140.6 I can't stomach it for the entire bike ride. For a 70.3 I put around 700 calories in an aero bottle - each time I take a sip I also have some water to dilute the concentrated taste.

For a 140.6 I put 1000 calories in a bottle, but also use three packs of Cliff Bloks for a total of 1600 calories. I found that I just couldn't handle 1600 or so calories of Infinit - I'm fine with it for a while, but by 3-4 hours in I wanted to be done with it. I used this fueling plan (1000 cals of Infinit and 600 from Cliff Bloks) at IMLP last summer and it went very well. Again, I always had water when I had infinit to dilute it.

On the run I never use Infinit. In an IM I use two more packs of Cliff Bloks on the run, taking one every two miles and Gatorade at most aid stations - then switch over to cola for the 2nd half. In a 70.3 I usually put three gels into a 6 oz canister that I mix with water and that along with a bit of Gatorade does fine on the run.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Reviews [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't used infinit on a full yet, only on a couple 70.3s so far, but I'll respond as best I can:

-Tripwire stock

-Scoops/water: varies. if just heading to pool or gym, 1 scoop (+/- 100 cal) in a full bottle of water. Races or long runs where I know I'll have access to water to dilute, I put as many scoops as I need into a gel flask (as an aside, I use the gel flask that came with a big bottle of hammer gels) I race at between 75 and 80Kg and personally go for about 75g (300 cal)of carbs/hr. IME, the best way to mix is to fill the flask with powder, then add a tiny bit of water. the powder will all dissolve and I can usually fit a couple more scoops in. In a single 5 serving gel flask I can get 800-1000 cal if I need it, which is more than enough for a 56 mile ride.

-For a 112 mile ride if you mix it dense enough you could theoretically get away with one fill sized bottle but might have issues with figuring how many servings/ calories per sip, which is why I like clear gel flasks with marks on them.

-carry vs special needs: my plan for an upcoming full is to just carry it all

-cal/g carbs/hr: see above. off the top of my head I want to say its about 4 cal/g of carbs and I find I do best at 1g carbs/Kg body weight/hr

-only source of electrolytes: I sometimes grab red bull, coke, or a banana on the run, but beyond that, yes.

-I use plain water from the course and bike aid stations for hydration

-Contingency plan? Panic, realize its just a hobby, calm down, switch to course nutrition and hope for the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have been using Infinit for a few years now. Three full Irons and will be using it for two fulls this year. I use their stock items in training (Mud for pre morning workouts, Jet Fuel for those days where your tired and really need a jump start, Repair protein recovery for after and I have started using Nocturne before bed which actually is awesome. I do not use my Custom Blends until closer to race day and longer workouts.

Races:
-I use a custom blend for both the bike and run. On the bike I use two scoops per 20oz bottle. Run I use a concentrate in a handheld bottle and follow it with water at each aid station.
-On the bike its a bottle an hour (three bottles on bike) and remaining bottles in special needs bag depending on how long you plan to be out there. When leaving in special needs bags, just put the nutrition in there and fill with water on the course once you pick up. Sipping every 15 minutes on the bike signaled by my Garmin.
-On the run I have one concentrated handheld waiting for the start of the run and put the 2nd bottle in my special needs bag. Because its concentrated, one bottle lasts me 13 miles.
- I do add water when necessary throughout the course, as well as some light solids normally later in the run if needed or if I am sick of the all liquid diet.

Note- if your going all liquid all day you really need to try it multiple times prior to race day and under different circumstances. Worn out, hot, cold, etc. Everyone reacts differently.

Regarding calorie intake, etc. This is all personal. I would suggest calling Infinit and speaking to them about your body make up, goals etc. and they can point you in the right direction. Takes about 20 minutes and its a free consultation. Over the last four years I have changed my custom blends three times depending on what I liked/didn't on race day.

Contingency plan? I have been pretty forunate on this front, but I have supplemented with Gatorade, salt tabs, etc. depending on what I feel my body is in need of.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used it for a year and liked it OK but found it to be a bit too sweet on longer rides/races. Switched to e-fuel from Crank Sports last year and love love love it. No flavor fatigue up to half-distance and zero stomach issues. I'm absolutely addicted to their gels too. https://www.cranksports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using it for several years, mostly for racing since it's expensive to use every day.

I use the hot weather formula but not as my exclusive source of calories cuz I just can't drink two bottles in an Olympic distance race or 4 bottles in a HIM and not have a full stomach to start the run.

I drink to thirst and supplement with GU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a custom formula very similar to their endurance formula, but with lemon line flavor, a little extra calories (around 300 cal/serving) and electrolytes, as well as a very small amount of caffeine. This is what I did the last couple times:
  • Custom serving of 300 cal Infinit in 16 oz of water in T1...this is a little overly concentrated but I found a full bottle over hydrated me early.
  • 300 cal Infinit bottle in first hour of bike. 1 caffeinated Gu at hour 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the bike, one in T2, and target one over 6 miles on the run, but I normally lose interest after the first couple. The gels help to get some caffeine and are something to look forward to and break up the time.
  • 4x concentration Infinit aero bottle (1200 cals) - sip every 5.6 miles (~15 minutes) with water...try to go through most of it. Gatorade Endurance as needed passing through aid stations (helps add a little more electrolytes and calories). Water replaced as needed and another bottle used to cool off at every aid station on the bike. The 4x concentration is about the max - you have to really mix it up well to start and then shake it during the race.
  • Hand held bottle with Infinit speed formula (endurance formula can cause stomach issues while running) for the first part of the run, with water/gatorade as needed. Coke in the latter part of the run.

Last edited by: triryan: Apr 11, 19 15:13
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Reviews [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattyboy wrote:
Used it for a year and liked it OK but found it to be a bit too sweet on longer rides/races. Switched to e-fuel from Crank Sports last year and love love love it. No flavor fatigue up to half-distance and zero stomach issues. I'm absolutely addicted to their gels too. https://www.cranksports.com/

Hows that compare in price?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it and liked it for years. I had a custom blend.
Once they sponsored the doper George Hincapie team, I boycotted it. I let them know, no response.
My personal way of protest. I know i’ll Hear crap from Sowtwitchers, but there are lots of other good companies.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply