Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fizik Transiro R1 Knit vs Giro SLX
Quote | Reply
Hi all, birthday present to myself is some new tri shoes. I'm currently surrounded by a number of different sizes of the two shoes and have a good fit in either.

I was able to pick up the Fizik's for a great price and have a good line on professional modification of the Giro's to make both shoes functionally the same. Once all is said and done the Giro's with elastic laces, a bit of custom paint and heel grabs will run me about £60 more than the Fiziks. My wife, who (to her own admission) knows nothing about bike shoes, says 'thats fucking stupid' when she saw the Giro's and the laces. I'm leaning towards the Fizik's given the construction and comfort as well as they'll end up being cheaper and seem a bit more comfortable without socks. I also like the idea of riding the stock shoe and if something happens I can get a warranty replacement, modified Giro's I'm out of luck. Though with the Giro's I'd have some custom shoes.... and well.. thats cool.

Thoughts from anyone who has been looking at these shoes?

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Transiro R1 Knit vs Giro SLX [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to the Transiro or SLX, but I picked up a pair of Giro Empire E70 Knit for $100 this spring. I rode in them unmodified a few times and liked the fit. So far, I've removed the tongues by cutting a few stitches and added some elastic laces. I'm still playing with lacing pattern and tightness options. I'll get rid of the excess lace and plastic lace closure once I settle on those options. I also stitched a small loop on the heel to give me something to hook rubber bands to.

If I end up not liking them for tri use, I figure I can always sew the tongues back in and go back to regular laces.

Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Transiro R1 Knit vs Giro SLX [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sort of confused as to why you'd want elastic laces on cycling shoes. Isn't your foot sliding around all over the place assuming you have a reasonably smooth/circular pedal stroke?
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Transiro R1 Knit vs Giro SLX [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm sort of confused as to why you'd want elastic laces on cycling shoes."
For flying mounts and better aerodynamics than a big Velcro flap(s) or boa dial(s) catching the wind.

"Isn't your foot sliding around all over the place assuming you have a reasonably smooth/circular pedal stroke?
Not at all. My foot is as locked in as when I had them tied with traditional laces. Both of my bikes have crank based PMs, so I have no idea what my smooth/circular pedaling metrics are...nor do I care.

The single best part of this modification is that cutting apart a perfectly good pair of new road shoes seems to really irritate my roadie friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
"I'm sort of confused as to why you'd want elastic laces on cycling shoes."
For flying mounts and better aerodynamics than a big Velcro flap(s) or boa dial(s) catching the wind.

"Isn't your foot sliding around all over the place assuming you have a reasonably smooth/circular pedal stroke?
Not at all. My foot is as locked in as when I had them tied with traditional laces. Both of my bikes have crank based PMs, so I have no idea what my smooth/circular pedaling metrics are...nor do I care.

Sorry, I get the theory. Seems much cleaner to the wind no doubt. I’ve often looked at my Velcro straps flapping beneath me and wondered if the few seconds I saved in transition are lost on the bike. The Velcro straps are kind of ridiculous really.

But the elastic laces are holding your foot nice and steady? I find I get a bit more shoe movement than I like just running, so only use them for races.

Anyhow keep us posted on results on varied courses with some clowning etc. I wonder how climbing will go, I feel like I pull up on the pedals and use my hamstrings more climbing. If you’ve discovered a hack that works well in practice, I’m all for giving it a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't discover the hack. I'm just copying what others on this forum have been doing for a few years. I guess haven't seen anyone using the knit version, so maybe I am a trendsetter.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._SLX_Laces_P6008013/

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...erodynamics.html?m=1

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ling_Shoes_P6055612/

I've done a few rides in them with the elastic laces. One for an hour at just below threshold, and didn't have any problems. I'd like to be using flat elastic laces, both for aero and for comfort against the skin. But, alas my local Wal-Mart only had round elastic, so that's what I got.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I’m wrong but I also assume the knit version would test slower than the slippery smooth regular version of the SLX because of the material, and thus may not even be that much better than some other options with a smoother surface. Would be interested to hear if anyone tested.
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Transiro R1 Knit vs Giro SLX [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure the knit material on these shoes is similar to textured speed suits, dimples on wheels, and trip strips on socks. They are gonna create a boundary layer which reattaches in the perfect place to actually propel me forward at zero watts. I've cut my bike training in half just to make it fair for everyone else.

In all seriousness, if textured material is good on suits, maybe it's also good on shoes. The knit is pretty comfy and shoe ventilation in hot races shouldn't be an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, the textured material on these shoes is nothing like dimpled trisuits. I’m not saying these shoes are slow but dimpled trisuits and other similar equipment are very smooth....the knit texture for these shoes is rough feeling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the knit material on these shoes is similar to textured speed suits, dimples on wheels, and trip strips on socks. They are gonna create a boundary layer which reattaches in the perfect place to actually propel me forward at zero watts. I've cut my bike training in half just to make it fair for everyone else.

In all seriousness, if textured material is good on suits, maybe it's also good on shoes. The knit is pretty comfy and shoe ventilation in hot races shouldn't be an issue.

I did read DFW post below, I kind of dig the the knit Giro. I bet they are comfy and breath well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I'm sort of confused as to why you'd want elastic laces on cycling shoes. Isn't your foot sliding around all over the place assuming you have a reasonably smooth/circular pedal stroke?

Fwiw, you can customize the tension to your own liking. The tighter the laces though the harder to get into the shoes.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply