Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: More Americans dont go to church than those that go every week [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
About time.

I assume by your comment you think things are better in America due to a declining church attendance. Given that, I'd be interested in hearing what exactly is better in society as a result.

The trend of a declining church attendance is consistent with most of the rest of the world but from where I sit, I don't see a positive outcome. Simple church attendance may not have relevance but for me it is a sign of a decline in spirituality and I think there is a direct link between that and the general decline in how people treat each other.

I'd like to hear why you think it's a good thing.

Personally, I believe it is a sign of a more educated, critical thinking population.
Quote Reply
Re: More Americans dont go to church than those that go every week [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
...I think there is a direct link between that and the general decline in how people treat each other.

Yes, because people treated each other so great in the dark ages or even Victorian age. You know, when there was extreme poverty, slavery, serfdom, debtor's prisons, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
About time.

I assume by your comment you think things are better in America due to a declining church attendance. Given that, I'd be interested in hearing what exactly is better in society as a result.

The trend of a declining church attendance is consistent with most of the rest of the world but from where I sit, I don't see a positive outcome. Simple church attendance may not have relevance but for me it is a sign of a decline in spirituality and I think there is a direct link between that and the general decline in how people treat each other.

I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of church-going people are good, decent people. Likewise, the vast majority of non-church-going people are good, decent people.

I think a sense of community is a very good thing, and churches and other organizations provide that are doing a service. Churches and other organizations that do charity work are also doing a service.

Where I see a drawback to religion in a very general sense is that it promotes a reduction of critical thinking skills. That is not to say, in any way, that any given member of a religion is lacking critical thinking skills, but that it gives cover to those members who do not possess those skills by saying there are certain things you don't question, or that certain feelings are acceptable as evidence in assessing something.

I think that lack of critical thinking ability, coupled with the internet's easy access to loads of information that can reinforce any position, has led to the rise in the belief of things like Q Anon, anti-vaccinations, flat Earth, climate change denialism, moon landing hoax, etc.

That doesn't mean religion directly causes these beliefs, but it does reinforce the idea that critical thinking can be legitimately suspended at times, and that, I think, is detrimental to society on multiple levels.
Quote Reply
Re: More Americans dont go to church than those that go every week [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes yes. also dont forget the crusades or reformation. All show how incredibly polite and kind people used to be.
Quote Reply

Prev Next