Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

46mm/disc vs. 88mm/88mm
Quote | Reply
Recently did my first TT (duathlon), and already looking to go faster. Had four people pass me on bike portion, all in full TT setups, I was on my road bike (aero bike, but drop bars and alloy wheels). Without buying a dedicated TT bike, looking to make some changes so I can get a lil more speed out of my road bike.

It's a Fuji Transonic, which tested about the same as an S5 as far as aero goes, so not horrible. First step is to fix my position, so I'm putting a set of aero bars on. I have a cheap aero helmet that will do for now, and some shoe covers. San Remo speedsuit is coming as part of my team kit. I have a set of 46mm carbon wheels that I wasn't able to use for my first race, they are 28mm wide with 23mm GP4Ks, so decent aero and rolling resistance. Thinking about swapping in some latex tubes and TT tires for race days.

I'll work on my position, and do some races on the 46's for now, but looking ahead, if you had to pick one (I realize 88/disc would be optimal), which would be faster, 46mm up front and disc on the rear, or 88mm front and rear? The 88s would be 25mm wide, and I'd run a 20-22 tire up front (prob Conti Attack).

I'm thinking the aero gains of narrower/deeper up front would trump the gains of the disc in the rear, but I'm curious to see what those of you with more experience think, maybe someone has even run similar combos.
Quote Reply
Re: 46mm/disc vs. 88mm/88mm [rides4beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In windy conditions I think the 46+disc combo may have an advantage both in terms of front wheel stability and disc benefit. Otherwise, I don't know. You didn't say what specific 46mm/88mm rims and disc wheels you are choosing between. It's not as simple as just rim depth and width dimensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
46mm front and disc rear would be my choice. Much better handling in crosswinds... probably a wash to slightly faster in terms of aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like running a disc cover and using your current 46mm front/rear would be the cheapest option (by a mile), and likely the fastest, with the best handling.

I also don't understand why an 88/disc isn't an option. This seems like an artificial set of constraints. But your order of operations should be: 1) buy disc cover, 2) buy 88 front, 3) buy 88 rear (for races where you can't run disc and run disc cover on that), 4) buy a real disc.... as budget allows.
Last edited by: wintershade: Apr 10, 19 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: 46mm/disc vs. 88mm/88mm [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just trying to be reasonable with how much money I put into this hobby. Didn't really look into disc covers, I'll check them out. Was just looking at 88s and discs from Farsports. I like my LB wheels, but they don't make discs or anything that deep.

Maybe I'll see if I can borrow a disc and see just how much time it saves me on the 14 mile TT loop I just raced.

My 46mm wheels are from Light Bicycle, their 56's tested well in the Hambini report, and these are basically the same profile, just not as deep/wide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If keeping your costs down is key, then I'd buy a set of 46s and a wheel cover.

Would you provide a source on the Transonic testing vs. the S5?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 46mm/disc vs. 88mm/88mm [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already have the 46's. Gonna check out some disc covers, anyone know if they have a tendency to scratch the wheel?

It was a Tour magazine aero test, I'll see if I can find it again, it was from '15 or '16 when the Transonic first came out, so I guess last gen S5?

Found it, it was a thread on here:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._Cervelo_S5_P5451240
Last edited by: rides4beer: Apr 10, 19 11:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had a cover scratch my wheel. It did scratch a decal once, though.

No need to search for Tour magazine for me. That's close enough.
Quote Reply
Re: 46mm/disc vs. 88mm/88mm [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
I've never had a cover scratch my wheel. It did scratch a decal once, though.

No need to search for Tour magazine for me. That's close enough.

Good to know, thanks. My decals are under the clearcoat, so should be ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rides4beer wrote:
Recently did my first TT (duathlon), and already looking to go faster. Had four people pass me on bike portion, all in full TT setups, I was on my road bike (aero bike, but drop bars and alloy wheels). Without buying a dedicated TT bike, looking to make some changes so I can get a lil more speed out of my road bike.

It's a Fuji Transonic, which tested about the same as an S5 as far as aero goes, so not horrible. First step is to fix my position, so I'm putting a set of aero bars on. I have a cheap aero helmet that will do for now, and some shoe covers. San Remo speedsuit is coming as part of my team kit. I have a set of 46mm carbon wheels that I wasn't able to use for my first race, they are 28mm wide with 23mm GP4Ks, so decent aero and rolling resistance. Thinking about swapping in some latex tubes and TT tires for race days.

I'll work on my position, and do some races on the 46's for now, but looking ahead, if you had to pick one (I realize 88/disc would be optimal), which would be faster, 46mm up front and disc on the rear, or 88mm front and rear? The 88s would be 25mm wide, and I'd run a 20-22 tire up front (prob Conti Attack).

I'm thinking the aero gains of narrower/deeper up front would trump the gains of the disc in the rear, but I'm curious to see what those of you with more experience think, maybe someone has even run similar combos.

Not to sidestep your wheel plan, I’d recommend the first change you make is the switch to latex tubes. Depending in your weight, and the speeds you ride, this update could challenge the power savings from going with more aero wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: 46mm/disc vs. 88mm/88mm [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Not to sidestep your wheel plan, I’d recommend the first change you make is the switch to latex tubes. Depending in your weight, and the speeds you ride, this update could challenge the power savings from going with more aero wheels.

That's what I was thinking too, I already have the 46mm wheels, was thinking about running latex tubes and TT tires for events (currently running butyl tubes and GP4Ks for everyday use). I'm 185lbs and did the bike portion at 22mph coming off a run, so should be faster in a dedicated TT (especially with adding the aerobars).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Bruh, Go tubeless. IRC Pro on eBay. 2. Get 88’s front n back, keep 46 for wind. 3. http://Www.wheelbuilder.com makes an “AeroJacket” u can pop on and off. And it looks ands sounds Fantastic... $173 otd. That includes a $25 parktool u need to install it... altho u can find it on Amazon cheaper/ i didnt know what i was doing.

just Raced HITS Palm Springs 2019, won my AG!?!
Last edited by: Verve4000: Dec 1, 19 15:29
Quote Reply