Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front Page: Are you ready for SafeSport asks Dan
Quote | Reply
So I read Dan's article and posted this comment:

I understand a lot of the points in this, and the need for extra guidance. It's quite clear that the focus of SafeSport is to protect minors and not adults per se. That a 45 year old dating a 45 year old in a recreating sport isn't exactly a position of power in the focus of the program. Like a 22 yr old coach and an 18 yr old athlete on a high school or college team.

However, now, if you get into real offenders...there's a coach whom we all know of that was convicted and is one of the most powerful coaches in Triathlon.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Front Page: Are you ready for SafeSport asks Dan [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious about this big announcement/update on the 15th is about. After reading through the article and going through safe sport several years now (I'm one of those coaches that does work with U-18 athletes about 40% of my coaching), it's all about best practices.

But like the whole AG doping thing a few years ago, I think "safe sport" for everyone is going to likely turn some heads realizing what type of "situations" could be sticky moving forward. And no I'm not talking about the adult v minor- that's pretty much covered and really the major objective for safesport.

But what about 2 athletes congratulating post workout.....One gives one of those baseball "butt slaps" (eta: what about a over the shoulder hug pinch or better yet a simple "high five". Which of those are violations? If I (let's say just another athlete finishing the same workout) report the "butt slap" but not the over the shoulder pinch/touch or the high five, am I now in violation? Wake up call about to turn us on our head I think.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 9, 19 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: Front Page: Are you ready for SafeSport asks Dan [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my perspective in the cheap seats, all this speculation about potential issues of adults coaching adults is much-ado-about nothing. Adult women who decide to train with a notorious, but notoriously successful, coach with a long ago conviction for abuse of a minor know the deal. SafeSport needs to keep the focus on the kids where it belongs.
Quote Reply
Re: Front Page: Are you ready for SafeSport asks Dan [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But I think like AG "doping" it now puts the onus on YOU to know you have to follow safe sport. And that means that apparently you may be in error if you see 2 adults touching each other in other ways than a potential "fist bump" (that's sorta gray area as to if this actually matters). So to me it sounds like it sorta brings in more 3rd parties who's not even apart of the equation. Is 2 adults shoulder hugging not allowed now talking post race or post workout? How many times do you see 2 athletes "hold" an high five while talking post race due to joy/fatigue/genuiness. I've seen it where athletes high five each other and sorta "congratulate" longer than a normal high five takes. Nothing malicous with it, just 2 people congratulating each other. Are those violations?

And I'm referring to specific adult v adults here (whether coach v athlete or athlete v athlete).

Of course I dont really know what the "violation" is if in Dan's example (You think a coach is coaching an "injured" athlete wrong), if you DON'T report it.

In terms of NCAA- is the 2nd year athlete on the soccer team who's 19 and an "adult" and "hosts" the star 17 year old at their apartment. Is that now an safe sport violation? That's generally how recruiting trips happen for athletes, yes?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Front Page: Are you ready for SafeSport asks Dan [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I frankly am not concerned about 2 adults hugging, butt-slapping, or whatever in triathlon, nor do I know anyone who is. But I do know a lot of AG athletes that are concerned about doping. SafeSport should be circumscribed to adult - youth coaching; and some additional verbiage in their documents could make that happen. By contrast, I support reasonable AG anti-doping measures along with the additional education that goes along with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Front Page: Are you ready for SafeSport asks Dan [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SafeSport should be circumscribed to adult - youth coaching; and some additional verbiage in their documents could make that happen.

-----

No I agree, I think the point that Dan is making and I'm suggesting is that now "everyone" is *most likely* on the hook for safesport in all likelihood with some of the "vagueness" of the wording. I was more suggesting that it's now on the record that you should/know/care; just as the case in AG doping where the 54 year old grandma who's taking doctor prescribed meds and racing her local po dunk sprint likely also doesn't "care" to follow some "WADA" rules.

ETA: So there is still "vagueness" on who's actually covered and who it can and can't apply towards (it def covers adult coach v minor athlete). Again most people agree Safesport is great for what it's likely suppose to do- keep the adult v minor relationship in check. Where the "fuzziness" occurs is when/if it starts applying to all members. Not just coach vs adult athlete but adult athlete v adult athlete.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 9, 19 12:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgive my ignorance but, I am a little confused why we need an organization for this? I understand the training/education part but an inappropriate interaction between an adult and a youth would be against the law. Isn't that what we have the police for? When this interaction is brought to someone's attention shouldn't it just be relayed to authorities and for them to handle this situation?
Quote Reply
Re: Front Page: Are you ready for SafeSport asks Dan [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, yes, we do...but like with Title IX courts...people don't go to the police for whatever their reason is.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Front Page: Are you ready for SafeSport asks Dan [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes should be always handled by the police because it's a *potential* criminal manner. Safesport also makes it that you have to report it to the corresponding NGB's.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply