Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My First Triathlon - Bag Situation
Quote | Reply
I am doing my first triathlon an Ironman 70.3. I was wondering about the bag situation on race day. I will be taking an Uber and leaving my car with my wife and girls so I will have a backpack with my stuff in it when I arrive on race day. Is there a place at the race were you can check in bags to be picked up after the race?

I know you usually drop off your swim to bike and bike to run bags the night before but do some races have you make and drop off those bags the day of?

I know these are probably ridiculous questions but just something I do not know since I have never done this before.

I appreciate the help. Thank you.
Last edited by: SoonerBorn: Apr 9, 19 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: My First Triathlon - Bag Situation [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of that is race-dependent. Most 70.3s only make you drop off your bike the day before.

You DO get these bags back at the end. So whatever you put in them will get back to you.

Are you doing a race with two transitions? Most 70.3s only go through that bag process if there are separated transition areas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which 70.3 are you racing in? There is probably a few on here that have done the race before that can help you out with logistics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of the Ironman-brand 70.3 races I have done require bike check-in the day before the race. The nut is that it is a logistic nightmare to get 2,000+ bikes in transition on race morning. Smaller races with fewer than 1,000 entrants often let you setup your bike race morning.

I use a De Soto transition pack to haul all of my stuff to transition the morning of (bike already there from the day before). Make yourself a very good checklist. I bring my pump too, because you cannot always count on a reliable pump. Though, many races do have many pumps on hand.

I can usually get lucky and stack my transition bag under the rack with my bike. If not, then I have found good places nearby to stash it. Don't forget that you will need your transition bag to get all your junk out of transition at the end of the day, so do not put it too far away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you check in, you will be given 3 bags: Swim-to-bike bag (T1), Bike-to-run bag (T2), and a Morning clothes bag. The morning clothes bag you will hand in just before starting the race and can pick up after finishing. It is the same size as the other bags so a pump or backpack wont really fit in. The bag check won't take anything but these bags (typically). Often you can leave you bag along the fence lines at smaller races if you bring a backpack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The athlete guide will usually give you some insights as each race is different (e.g. some races like Indian Wells have a split transition, etc.). Not silly questions at all as it can be very confusing.

Last year I did two 70.3s (Texas and Indian Wells). As part of the swag you got a backpack from Ironman. That comes in handy.

Day before the race you dropped off your bike in transition. For Texas 70.3 you just left the bike. There were no gear bags. For Indian Wells since split transition you dropped off you run gear in T2 and you hung up you bike gear bag on a hook in the T1 change tent when you dropped off your bike. This all happened the day before the race (not too mention dunking your wetsuit in chlorine). This is an example why you read the Athlete guide because each race is different.

Now, let’s assume it is like Texas and you do not need to drop off gear the day before, just the bike. Then you just bring all your gear in the back pack, set up transition, and leave your backpack there (put it under your bike and make it as small as possible not to interfere with other racers). You will be given a morning clothes bag - use it for stuff you need the moment you finish the race - like dry clothes or a jacket - as you will not be able to get into transition for a while at larger races.

Now, let’s assume Indian Wells or place with split transition. After the swim you will leave your swim stuff at T1 and they will bring it but IT HAS TO BE in the Bike Gear bag. In addition, you may be on a bus, etc. However, you will have a Morning Clothes bag. So here is what I do, use the backpack they gave you as swag. Put all your stuff in it to take the the start that is not already dropped off (e.g. nutrition, etc.). Get into your swim stuff and put everything (including that backpack - it rolls up well) into your Morning Clothes bag. When you finish go get your morning clothes bag back. Now you have a backpack that can help carry all your other stuff as well.

Hope that helps but again the easiest is read the Athlete Guide then talk to the staff at the expo race briefing and they can answer questions. Good luck and enjoy the day!

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply