Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ammonia sweats...
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve been plagued by calf strains the last few seasons, almost to the point of binning tri altogether. Iā€™m building volume slowly following BarryP program with daily runs. In order to keep disciplined and not over do things, Iā€™m running mainly on the treadmill at the prescribed speeds and distances.

Iā€™ve aimed to maintain ā€œrunā€ fitness by doing HIIT work on the elliptical cross trainer. Iā€™ve been doing five gym days a week with a 32 minute HIIT elliptical, ~40 minutes of weights and then the treadmill running on the end.

I get a really strong ammonia smell when Iā€™m doing the HIIT workout, but not during normal runs. My longest run is only 50 minutes at the moment, so probably not long enough to force the body to scavenge aminos, but the HIIT workout does.

How much pre-workout feeding will help avoid this? A sandwich an hour before the gym? I donā€™t really use much in the way of energy drinks when training, but do use amino acid infra-workout drinks. Iā€™m also running a calorie deficit and cleaning up my diet as I start being more focussed on my main race goal. Anyone else had this?
Quote Reply
Re: Ammonia sweats... [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's pretty common, not to be an ass but try googling it and you'll find a ton of info.
Quote Reply
Re: Ammonia sweats... [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Iā€™ve googled. Iā€™ll just experiment with a pre workout feed. Was trying to keep a good calorie deficit but probably gone a bit far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me regardless of calorie deficit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
Yeah, Iā€™ve googled. Iā€™ll just experiment with a pre workout feed. Was trying to keep a good calorie deficit but probably gone a bit far.

It is very difficult to have a high training load and also run a significant deficit. Your performance is going to be suffering greatly.
Determine if weight or fitness are more important at this time and play to that.
More often than not weight loss is best done in the off-season with only moderate training loads.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ammonia sweats... [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Iā€™m trying to get the weight loss done during the initial base period before moving onto higher intensity build phase. Got some time to get this done.

I find the biggest challenge is keeping the deficit small enough to hang on to as much muscle mass as possible. Was worried the ammonia smell was heralding too great a deficit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
Yeah, Iā€™m trying to get the weight loss done during the initial base period before moving onto higher intensity build phase. Got some time to get this done.

I find the biggest challenge is keeping the deficit small enough to hang on to as much muscle mass as possible. Was worried the ammonia smell was heralding too great a deficit.

Except you're doing HIIT in your low intensity base phase...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Ammonia sweats... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the crosstrainer... to counteract this, Iā€™m super slow everywhere else... ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you smell like ammonia, you could be catabolizing and burning muscle. My shoes and I used to smell like that when I was overdoing it. You might want to change something.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect the elliptical might be adding to your calf problems. Most people I know who've used one say that they end up with calf/achilles problems. Maybe try biking instead?
Quote Reply
Re: Ammonia sweats... [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ll be your n-1. Itā€™s been great for me; allowed me to crank out some good work and focus on a really slow, controlled build of my running on the treadmill after.

Also training on the bike; following TR half mid-volume base, and their associated swim/run suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Donā€™t mind it but my daughter will tell me I stink when I get back from runs. Happens on normal runs for me if on low carb or fasted run - eg 10 mile run on empty stomach and no sugars. I do try to increase electrolytes so will use Nuun or something else. Hope that help.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply