Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Snowshoes
Quote | Reply
Anyone from northern climes...

After being dumped with >30cm snow this past week, I thought I'd try snowshoeing as an alternative to the frustration of trying to run in this slippery, greasy crap.

Does anyone have experience on what type of gear to use (i.e. do I need 'high performance' snowshoes, or will 'recreational' ones do?)? Also, what kind of terrain should I seek - I've heard snowshoeing really gets the HR up, so do I need 10-15km of trail for a 60min workout, or do I need less?

Thanks -

"Snowed in triathlete"
Quote Reply
Re: Snowshoes [triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did a 10k snowshoe race last weekend and it took me 1:02:42. The winner (a 20 something XC runner looking kid) did it in 52:58, so you don't need a lot of trail to get a good hour workout in. The organizers did say that the course was long before the start though. The conditions make a big difference also. The race was probably 90% 'off trail', essentially, a couple guys stomped down a narrow trail the day before, and 10% on groomed XC ski trail. On hard packed or well groomed trails, you are going to be much faster, pretty close to running speed, but on anything resembling fresh snow, prepare for a log of hard work. You probably won't be able to 'run' very far in anything more than 6 inches of fresh. As far as equipment, I'd recommend a pair of 'performance' or 'running' snowshoes, around 20" size. The bindings on these shoes are made to work with running shoes, instead of boots. The bigger recreational shoes are more for walking in deep snow with boots on. I have a set of older Redfeathers that are great, and the new ones look pretty good to. The new Atlas Dual-Trac looks interesting also. Tubbs also makes a running specific model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snowshoe is a great workout. I've been doing it about a year. I have mixed feelings about how fancy to get with the snowshoes. I've been using a recreational model as we have had some dry winters and I didn't want to tie up much money in a toy that might see limited use. Since my snow cover is sometimes scetchy, I would hate to subject a high-zoot snowshoe to the sticks, rocks and other abuses. That said I am already looking at a racing model. My thought would be to get a lower end pair from a reputable company to see if you like it, if you do you can keep that pair for the rough stuff.

You can work out anywhere there is snow. The longer trail would be nice but I get some good workouts at the park near my home. One good one is a "spectrum". Find a snowdrift, preferably a long one. Run through it at a fast pace. Rest briefly and repeat. At first you run in deep snow which is more like cycling. As the snow gets packed down the running gets easier and more like running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought some shoes. I got an intermediate level (Atlas 830), because I was also planning on doeing some backcountry stuff. They make running specifc shoes, but they would only be good on hard pack, any powder and forget it.

Anyway, I am doing a 5K on the local cross country course on Sunday and figured I would take my shoes out for a test run (I already did one of the hig peaks in the ADK and no problem, even in 3 feet of powder), to make sure I wouldn't do a face plant if I tried to run in them. On hard pack to some frozen powder the shoes were great and pretty fast, and I don't think I will lose more than 60 seconds per mile.

Advice. Sssuming you weigh less than 180 lbs, get a mid level shoe and it should be good for some hikes and some running. I you are heavy the problem is you need the larger size, in which case they will be no good for running. I guess then you would have to make a choice between a trail shoe, or a "aerobic" or "performance" shoe that is really only useful on hard pack.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A cheaper alternative: an old pair of running shoes and a box of sheet metal screws. take out the laces and foot bed, put screws through sole of shoe, cover the screws in duct tape and replace laces and foot bed. You only want the screw to stick out a little bit. If it's really wet out then wear 2 pair of socks with plastic bags between the layers. And yes, it's a lot of work running through snow without snow-shoes but that's the point. The screws are really for ice. For snow, any shoe with a decent tread will do. The whole running-snow-shoe thing is kind of pointless( unless you're in the business of selling snow shoes) since the shoes are so small you need hard pack to run on and if it's hard pack, you don't need snow shoes.

The sheet metal screws and duct tape work well for mountain bike ice tires as well. I commuted to school in montana via bike and ran every day a lunch with this setup.

If you do decide to buy some, check out online retailers. A lot of them are clearing out winter stuff already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snowshoe running is awesome. efernand, I think I was at the same 10k last weekend, (BigFoot Boogie)great race.

If you live in a snowy climate and trail run regularly, they're a must. I run on Atlas Dual Trac's. With s.shoes designed for running you can pretty much run at a regular stride, I've done runs as long as 12 mi. on them. It's like running with leg weights! Great workout.

I've done the 'screw in the shoes' thing too. Instead of putting the screws from the inside out though, use sheet metal screws. The ones with the hex head on them. If you use 1/4 or 5/16 screws you can just screw them into the shoe lugs from the outside. It works awesome. Or you can spend a few bucks and buy a pair of "IceBugs". Carbide studs instead of screws.

Winter trail running rocks!

Rick Murray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried it. It's a good workout but for enjoyment IMO but I'll take x-country skiing any day.
Quote Reply
Re: Snowshoes [ncooksey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I would have to disagree with ncooksey's assertation that snowshoes are pointless. I have been snowshoeing for about 10 years. My wife and I bought the first generation of TUBBS running snowshoes that came out way back then. If you have been snowshoeing for any length of time, then you know that in order to get a real workout, you need real snowshoes, not just cleats on your shoes; otherwise you punch through the snow, and you will have no running rhythm making the workout really awful. Let me point out some basics of what I have gathered over the years and pass it along:

-Snowshoeing is an excellent way to train for running. It is very running specific (three separate peer reviewed articles show that athletes that traing snowshoeing increase their VO2 max for RUNNING greater than a cohort which trains only by running), and builds incredible strength, and aerobic fitness, without the pounding that running throws at you. This past year, I was able to post a 35:30 10K and a hilly 18:32 5K pushing a triple jogger with my three kids in it (about 125lbs total weight). I attribute much of it to the 'offseason' of snowshoe workouts.

-Snowshoeing gives you some variety. You are able to see something different from your normal running routes.

-You make your workouts for a certain time duration rather than distance. Since conditions can change, making for a much different time, you make your workouts last a specific time rather than a certain distance.

-You can use one pair of snowshoes for most everything. I wouldnt plan a weeklong backcountry trip with an 80lb pack using my running snowshoes, but if I was going to use them for run training, I would get a pair that is for that purpose, and they can easily accommodate most everything else. I have taken them on hikes up mountains with 3 feet of fresh powder.

-Get the smallest pair fits what you will be doing most of the time. Snowshoes come in different sizes, but smaller is lighter, and more maneuverable. On the east coast, we rarely get the dumpings that the rockies get; so most hiking and running will be on either packed trails, or just a little powder. The difference in float of a big snowshoe vs a smaller one will just not outweigh the enjoyment of having a smaller, lighter, and more maneuverable snowshoe.

-If you are going to run, get one with a fixed toe chord. Dont get the ones that have the rotating toe chord. It would take more space than I want to explain why.

-If you are going to fix your shoes to your snowshoes, I would recommend getting a pair of spikes that are on closeout one size too big, then drilling holes in the base plates of the crampons of the showshoe, and fixing the shoes in place with stainless bolts. All other methods have not worked for me (except taping shoes to bindings with duct tape; which is only a temp solution).

-You usually wind up wearing less than you think you need when snowshoeing...so dress in layers.

-You can snowshoe in anykind of terrain or snow condition. I have used mine to climb up some frozen waterfalls (small ones), across exposed boulder fields, on ice, across parking lots (devoid of snow), bushwacking, on grass (working with special olympics during a demo), and even scraping down some cliffs (a whole other story). Anyway, the great thing is that you can use them anywhere, anytime, and you dont have to worry about snow, ice, cars, etc.

I think that covers most basics. Several companies make running specific snowshoes that can be used for all snowshoeing purposes including TUBBS, Redfeather, Sherpa, and northernlites among others. I use and race in TUBBS, which have a lifetime warranty; which means if you leave your snowshoes on the railroad tracks, and they get cut in half by the 5:15 train then they will be repaired or replaced. This was the deciding factor in whose snowshoe we choose when we first bought pairs.

I hope this helps. Have fun, and enjoy the snow.

stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I will definitely try them this weekend. Local tri shop rents Tubbs, so hopefully they are the running kind.

Cereloguy, I would strongly prefer to skate ski, but two things are preventing me from diving in whole hog: (1) From Toronto, we have to drive too far to get to decent trails. Since we drive all summer long to get to decent biking (you're from Toronto, right? Who wants to ride 1h through sprawl to get to decent, quiet roads?), we'd rather not drive so much in the winter; and (2) the wife, also IM athlete, hates skiing - she's just uncomfortable on them, which discourages me from getting too into it. Hopefully she likes the snowshoeing better. No way could we do the IM thing if we didn't both train together (sort of - at least the same sport, on the same routes...).

Bring on the snow!
Quote Reply