Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert)
Quote | Reply
I really want to feel happy and celebrate Bettiol's win - seemly hard working kid, being close to winning a few times, riding for a team I liked, the audacity of riding solo away from all the faves, etc. - but somehow, I can't. It's almost like my self defense mechanism of not wanting to be "hurt" again kicked in. Is this just me, or is this the state of affair?
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not following you? It would seem that if the other contenders weren't sitting up and looking at each other they would have brought him back??
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
I really want to feel happy and celebrate Bettiol's win

Then do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not too sure about that: GvA chased hard, so did van der Poel but he was unlucky, van Aert blew up and was gapped on the final climb, Sagan and Velverde didn't have it yesterday. Yeah maybe Kristoff and Matthews weren't doing a lot of work, but they really couldn't; their only chance was a bunch sprint. What EF did right was having Langeveld slow down the chase multiple times on the climbs, and kudos to Vanmarcke for all the hard work. So, I wouldn't say the favorites were playing games and let one get away.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [mpquick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess we all did when Lance ... nevermind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
I am not too sure about that: GvA chased hard, so did van der Poel but he was unlucky, van Aert blew up and was gapped on the final climb, Sagan and Velverde didn't have it yesterday. Yeah maybe Kristoff and Matthews weren't doing a lot of work, but they really couldn't; their only chance was a bunch sprint. What EF did right was having Langeveld slow down the chase multiple times on the climbs, and kudos to Vanmarcke for all the hard work. So, I wouldn't say the favorites were playing games and let one get away.

Watch the final 15k again. Plenty of opportunity for them to work together. Was a great race though. Van Der Poel was an animal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am not too sure about that:

Did you watch the last 10-20k? The group simply wouldn’t work together. If they had, race over. Good on him though to take advantage of the situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See my post above: first off, what makes you so certain that even if they work together they had enough gas in the tank to bridge the gap? Most of them were cooked, like van Aert. Also tactics is a big part of the race, just as important as the physical ability. So kudos to Bettoil having the audacity to attack. BTW, with Kristoff and Matthews in the chase group, it was hard to justify for all others to work together in the final kms to chase down Bettoil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:

No doubt. When Vanmarcke was drilling it on the front into near unconsciousness, I was thinking, "Bettiol had better pull this off or Sep's going to be pretty pissed."
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
I am not too sure about that:

Did you watch the last 10-20k? The group simply wouldn’t work together. If they had, race over. Good on him though to take advantage of the situation.

This was it. No one in that chasing group was going to work to help another team win. The teams that had more than one person to lead the pull (DQS, LottoS), didn't have a sprinter. None of the sprinters (Sagan/Kristoff) had a teammate to burn.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this take any thing away from Bettoil's win? IMHO, not at all. In fact, very few UCI races are won or lost because of pure physical ability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not at all. This is a cycling monument FFS. Any way to win is worth celebrating. Because Bora or Sunweb or UAE didn't have strong enough support to make it to the finale with more than their sprinter isn't EF's or Bettoil's problem. That's all part of race strategy and tactics. I would say they worked that race perfectly. They didn't have a sprinter and went for it at the time when the sprinter teams didn't have someone to pull for them. They pretty much beat DQS at their own game.

How would you have felt if Stybar or Jungels had won in the similar manner instead of Bettiol?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you watch any sort of athletic competition without that thought in the back of your mind? I don't. I still try to enjoy the events and try not to dwell on the fact that it might have been aided. The two other options as far as I can tell are stop watching or bury your head in the sand.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some I can, but cycling is especially difficult, e.g. I have no problem with soccer (football) when my favorite team wins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Some I can, but cycling is especially difficult, e.g. I have no problem with soccer (football) when my favorite team wins.

Just to clarify, what's the problem exactly? Are you concerned that we'll all find out later that he was cheating in some way?

I don't know, i guess i just don't take it so personally. I watch and enjoy the spectacle, and it was great. Really amazing and exciting race, the whole day long. And i was rooting for him to stay away.

If he later gets popped, like yeah it sucks for the clean riders who maybe could have made a result in an alternative universe but I don't think i'd be "hurt" by it emotionally.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. That little doubt in the back of your mind prevents you from actually feeling happy and celebratory. If someone I liked gets popped, you felt like that you made an emotional investment into a fraud, and that kind of "hurts".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of like how all the Ironman records have been broken several times over, over the past few years?
Must be the shark fin Zipp wheels...................... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to feel good about racing, watch this:

https://www.facebook.com/.../?v=2344120618955191

"Full gas into the Kwaremont, and then:
PAM!!!!
Let's Put The HAMMER DOWN!!!!"

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Watch the last 75 km's of the women's race.

Oh ! True, forget it (with that frame fo mind), the winner got busted a few years ago...... meeeeehhhhh !!

Louis :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
I really want to feel happy and celebrate Bettiol's win - seemly hard working kid, being close to winning a few times, riding for a team I liked, the audacity of riding solo away from all the faves, etc. - but somehow, I can't. It's almost like my self defense mechanism of not wanting to be "hurt" again kicked in. Is this just me, or is this the state of affair?

Sagan, Valverde, MVDP, Wout, GVA, Kristoff don't give a crap about Bettiol winning Flanders.....they would rather he win then drag one of the others to the line. DQS could have shut it down as well with three guys at the end, but again why help the others? There was no real chase and he had a tailwind. It's like Vansummeren winning Roubaix in 2011, Cancellara could have shut it down but he would have been dragging Hushovd to the line, so he sat up and let Vansummeren win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:

If you believe footie is clean, there is really very little hope of winning you over with a rational argument.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:

At this point cycling is likely one of the cleaner sports out there. And one day racing is likely the cleaner end of the sport, since tactics have such a big part to play (versus grand tours which are so attritional).

Personally I mostly manage to willingly suspend disbelief in athletic performances unless it's becoming too blatant to ignore. Cycling in the 90s and 00s was unbelievable - top guys getting busted left, right and centre, performances so dominant it was like men vs boys, riders dying in hotel rooms, etc. These days I'm sure it's still going on but it's at least being done more subtly and therefore it's easier to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the racing.

Current sports I struggle with? Tennis and football. Massive money sports so plenty of incentive to dope, and big advantage to be gained in doing so (the athleticism of modern football/soccer and tennis players is incredible). Fairly lax testing regime. And nobody ever seems to get busted. Also struggle with certain individuals e.g. find it hard to believe somebody like Gatlin is clean having been busted twice already and seemingly getting better in his 30s when sprinters normally start to slow down. Mind you, we have a world champion in cycling with a similarly questionable past who also seems to have discovered the fount of eternal youth!
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asgreen, who finished second, has never won a pro race either. The gall.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devolikewhoa83 wrote:
Just to clarify, what's the problem exactly? Are you concerned that we'll all find out later that he was cheating in some way?

Bettiiol does have double letters, so maybe he cut the course, or used someone else's bib

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Apr 9, 19 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: Am I too jaded to feel happy? (Tour of Flanders Spoiler alert) [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
dalava wrote:

If you believe footie is clean, there is really very little hope of winning you over with a rational argument.

basically this

one wonders why there was such a protracted battle over the Operacion Puerto blood bags; my bet is that too many in La Liga were involved

the OP has some serious cognitive dissonance. Only reason why footie has a veneer of being clean is that they don't go through the more rigorous testing that cycling undergoes; out of sight, out of mind.
Quote Reply