Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice Needed with Bike Purchase - A Comparison
Quote | Reply
Hi all, looking for some help with a bike purchase.

Option A:
2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 0
(https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...-advanced-pro-0-2016)
Dura Ace (9070) Di2 with CeramicSpeed oversized pulley.
Condition: used frequently for training and races since 2016.

Option B:
2018 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 1
(https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...-advanced-pro-1-2018)
Ultegra (R8050) Di2.
Condition: smidge over half year fairly regular use.

Same price point, same Giant SLR wheels. Main query is whether the newer and less-used Ultegra groupset outweighs the benefits of the older model Dura Ace groupset + CeramicSpeed.
I understand there's a Trinity thread in this forum but this post relates more to the differences in performance between these particular groupsets, pulley and age of bikes.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by: strussy: Apr 7, 19 17:07
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed with Bike Purchase - A Comparison [strussy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano has been clear over the past few years that the difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra is weight. From a user experience standpoint they are supposed to function identically and I have not seen any real information to conflict this.

I would have to look up the weight difference but for a TT bike I wouldn't say it doesn't equates to a performance gain. So its hard to say what benefits you are trying to outweigh.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed with Bike Purchase - A Comparison [strussy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Between those two, I would choose the less used and newer bike. I did an Ultegra R8050 Di2 upgrade to my bike last year. I wanted to to find a reason to justify a little extra spend on Dura Ace parts, but it really did not make any sense. The only difference I could find anywhere was weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice Needed with Bike Purchase - A Comparison [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to be so careful with second hand gear. The first option worries me if it has been used that much, a lot of triathletes don't take good care of their bikes and you can uncover a lot of issues when you purchase it and get it properly serviced. I would go the newer bike/less well used where possible (granted a well serviced older bike may still be better).
No great difference in ultegra versus dura ace in real world tri conditions, I run a mix anyway on most of my bikes!
Quote Reply