Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone ever sign up for an Ironman without consulting the wife? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
There will always be other races but you only have one wife.

Many who raced IM St George back in the day would probably disagree on both counts.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever sign up for an Ironman without consulting the wife? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
She did let me do Texas and Louisville alone since they were bleh destinations in her view.

She let you do? Adults don’t need permission.

Adults don't quibble over my point.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever sign up for an Ironman without consulting the wife? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
She did let me do Texas and Louisville alone since they were bleh destinations in her view.

She let you do? Adults don’t need permission.
There's a difference between needing permission and seeking agreement.
It seems pretty clear that post refers to the latter.
The fact that you responded as you did suggests you don't really understand that - for your sake, I hope you figure it out!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever sign up for an Ironman without consulting the wife? [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
I signed my wife up for an Ironman without consulting her years ago. I think after her 15th she has finally forgiven me.

Best post in the thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever sign up for an Ironman without consulting the wife? [guy2600] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummmmm..... I'm not proud of it but I did in lie in order to do IMTX this year. My kids are in high school and middle school and my wife asked me in '16 to give it up till the kids graduate. So I did... Until my persuasive friends started needling me and golf just wasn't very much fun. So I signed up for IMTX in late December with my business card and told my wife I was training for 1/2 IMTX on 4/26. She was happy and oblivious to the difference in training until about 3 weeks before the race during one of my peak training weekends. She asked if I was going to be home before 11am and I said 'No'. She asked before noon and I said 'No.' She then said 'are you doing a @#$%ing Ironman!? I didn't reply. And then all of a sudden all the training I had been doing in the Winter and Spring became totally unreasonable, excessive and selfish. Thankfully I had just enough fitness to barely KQ and now my kids are excited to be going to Hawaii! So, yes, I lied but sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever sign up for an Ironman without consulting the wife? [rockchalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tactics you adopted to KQ AND to maintain your relationship were both skillfully played. All will be forgotten on a Sunday in October after another peak month for training in September. Well done!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever sign up for an Ironman without consulting the wife? [guy2600] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up for Ironman Canada (2012) while living in Japan with a toddler. My wife seemed ok with it at the time, but as a Japanese wife, she had no idea the training or money required to do the race. Those 4-6 hour Saturday and Sunday bike rides took their toll on our marriage. Planning on signing up again for 2022 (I do the race every 10 years to prove my worth as an athlete). Not married anymore, so I have nothing to worry about next time (unless I get remarried by then).
Quote Reply

Prev Next