Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cyclist want to try Triathlon : advice needed
Quote | Reply
This topic has probably already covered, but still I'm looking to get specific advice on how to juggle with this.
I've been doing bike training and a little racing as a masters for the last 15 years or so.
Not a top athlete ( approx. 285 FTP for 73-74 kg), I log approx. 5000 miles/year (including our very long indoor season :-/ ).

Now I want to try entering one or two triahtlons this summer (one in august- one in sept).
Swimming is not a new sport, I swam when a kid a elementary school, although I didn't swim for the last 35 years.
Running anything past 10 minutes is new to me. I entered a beginners plan at the end of last fall.

The past winter I trained approx. 3 hrs/week in each event.
NOw. The problem is my FTP went down this winter. For obvious reasons you'll tell me.
The legs are not as powerful, I can't do the workouts I'm used to do to prepare for the road cycling season.

So my question goes especially to the people doing both road cycling races, and occasional triathlons.
HOw do you separate your sports in hrs/week ? How much volume do you keep for your "better" sport ?
Maybe separate sports depending on the season (transition season for the swim for example when racing season for cycling) ? Is that possible ?

Thanks for your enlightment.

LOuis :-)
Last edited by: louisn: Apr 6, 19 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist want to try Triathlon : advice needed [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My time is more like 50% bike, 35% run, 15% swim. Which is a closer reflection of how much time is spent on each discipline during a race.

Other factor is how you train in each sport. I'm similar to you in that I have a lot of bike training and not so much running. I have to be pretty careful with run intensity as the engine I've built from cycling exceeds the ability of my legs to take the pounding. So most of my run training is at a fairly easy intensity, with only one harder interval or tempo session. And nearly all my bike sessions have intensity in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many hours / week do you plan to train?

I used to do about 50% bike, 30% running and 20% (if that) swimming

But that was 5 years in tri, so I had a base to build from

Your top end cycling power should go down when you focus on tri, but your FTP should be close to the same (at least that was my experience)

I did feel I was always riding on ā€œheavyā€ legs

Triā€™s are fun. ā€œWelcomeā€!
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist want to try Triathlon : advice needed [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah cartsman, every time I wanted to start running, I hurt myself trying to run with my "cyclist"'s body.

I have approx. 10-14 hrs/week available from april to the fall.

Due to a capsulitis in one shoulder my swimming is on hold for a moment. Recovery is fine though, I found a super physiotherapist at the College sports clinic.
I want to keep just enough running to maintain what I built this winter, from zero runner in december, to achieving a 15 km race last month :-) .

I wanted to have precise goals, but there are so many unknown factors, I will just enter the events and do my best I think.
Still sad to see short interval power go down, it started to go down cause of age, now with Tri training... sob !!

That's why I'll enter Oly's for now, I still want to keep training above FTP, with many high intensity intervals. I guess it can't do much harm, can it ?

Louis :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Louisn,
The funny thing about running when you are a cyclist is you need to strengthen your lower legs. Most cyclists think their lower legs are strong but they arenā€™t ā€˜strongā€™ for running because of the limited range of motion in cycling vs running and the eccentric work in running. You need to strengthen your calves with calf raises and bent knee calf raises and hopping/jumping.
You also need to strengthen your posterior chain (hamstrings, hips, pelvis, lower back). Try single leg dead lifts, bird dog, single leg bridges, side leg raises, single leg hops, double leg jumps up stairs, hip hikes etc.
Before I did this I had injuries very regularly.
Quote Reply