Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They changed from first come-first serve to self-seeded in 2017. Now you can walk straight to the front if you want to.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
The first in the water thing.... If you want to start first in the swim at Louisville or really anywhere that does the self-seeded start, just walk all the way up to the front of the line and start first. You do not need a special lane to do it. Just be prepared to be swum over if you do not belong there.

If you want to be one of the first in the swim line at IMLOU you have to get there around 4AM and claim your spot. The line get's very long as the morning gets later. So yeah, it's a big perk!

You can just walk up to the front. You don't have to get there first. I saw several people do that in 2017. No one is going to stop you and why should they? It doesn't affect them and it's better for everyone if the self seeding is done correctly.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
The first in the water thing.... If you want to start first in the swim at Louisville or really anywhere that does the self-seeded start, just walk all the way up to the front of the line and start first. You do not need a special lane to do it. Just be prepared to be swum over if you do not belong there.

If you want to be one of the first in the swim line at IMLOU you have to get there around 4AM and claim your spot. The line get's very long as the morning gets later. So yeah, it's a big perk!

You can just walk up to the front. You don't have to get there first. I saw several people do that in 2017. No one is going to stop you and why should they? It doesn't affect them and it's better for everyone if the self seeding is done correctly.

Ah, times have changed. In 2012 era, if you "cut the swim line" a brawl might have ensued... For the IMLOU swim I don't think time seeding is as important as there is a lot of water space!
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
Then, when it was moved to October, the weather has been cold and miserable.

I'm thinking you might have some recency bias here. While last year was about as miserable as it could have been, the previous couple of years it's been fantastic weather.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I mean most people who are 1-2 slots out in the AG 25-55 probably race an ironman once a year. I would describe myself as slightly off the bubble but would hope to contend. Usually I score high enough in a single 70.3 that I have AWA status for the next year.

I was planning on targeting IMchoo again this year and hadn't signed up yet, but after the announcement I've considered dropping back two week.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you wonder if others would be doing the same making it actually harder?
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
Would you wonder if others would be doing the same making it actually harder?

I've done two "enhanced" slot races. One was a 70.3 and the other an IM. The IM wasn't a regional champ race like IMTX but a race they threw 100 slots at. My personal experience with those two race were they tend to get real top heavy and the placing was harder. It can be hard to compare the same race times from one year to the next but weather was similar-ish enough for times to be in the same ballpark, and participation numbers were also similar.

The 70.3 with enhanced slots I came in 21st in my AG. The next year that same time would have had me in 10th or 11th.

My IM time at the next year's race would've placed me at like 40th AG instead of like 115th or whatever it was the year I raced. I had a decent time and saw my placing and was like, "Wow... all the fast dudes showed up." I'm better at 70.3 than 140.6 so it wasn't like I was chasing a KQ slot anyway.

Both races in M40-44 AG.

The male AG's are so competitive now that you can no longer cherry pick races to KQ at if you're a bubble KQ'er. Unlike the female AG's were one can still cherry pick races.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a video of Ironman explaining the system.

https://www.facebook.com/...ts/2109524495830701/

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Ay Wah”? WTF?
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta say I am still somewhat confused about how the slots will be allocated. The dude's explanation is a bit vague... but it seems that the AWA folks will essentially have their own rankings that will exclude the AWA racers that have been allocated a slot through the normal process of qualification or via a rolldown. Am I getting this right?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to disagree with your comment that women can cherry pick races to KQ. Women’s age groups at the pointy end are pretty competitive and we are also dependent upon who shows up on the day.

Last year I picked Chatt as my hopeful KQ race and based on past results and start lists thought I’d achieve it but a fast former pro who was not on the psych sheet showed up and won the age group. I got third just missing the KQ.

I then turned around and raced AZ which historically is a very fast race likely leaving me out again but it was a slightly slower field and I got 2nd plus a ticket to Kona.

Pick a course that suits you, show up, race your race and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After listening the video explanation: 1 slot extra per AG for the first AWA not classified within the normal 40 Kona Slots. So, it is a loyalty gift specially for any of the AWA athletes from low participants AG.

Let's say that this Ironman takes places the same weekend of Kona, so I think is also an extra motivation for AWA athletes (specially from AG with less participants) to go to Lousville. An extra motivation for AWA athletes who didn't qualify for Kona during the year for a second chance...

Theoretically many of the "top AG" would be racing in Kona...
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. That thought has entered my mind. IMTX usually seems like a blood bath for people showing up for that "extra" slot. Honestly, I probably won't change my plan. I'm doing IMFL too (I have signed up for that) and Louisville is a little too close, I'd have to skip some personal stuff, and IMchoo I can train on the course since it's so close to me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What counts as AWA? I had a less than stellar performance in one race last summer in Tremblant and ended up as a bronze athlete ranked 7?? in my old man age group. Does this mean I am actually eligible for one of these slots or do I have to do some 2019 qualifying races? I just signed up regardless of the rules anyway so that I feel I have something to focus on after having to pull out of Boston due to injury.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you are AWA Bronze you are eligible. It is explained in the video that it will be by fastest finish time, not based off AWA points. If you are bronze and finish 2nd but the next guy behind you, in 3rd, is Gold, you get the Slot.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [abrowntd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abrowntd wrote:
Sorry, I don’t know how those additional slots work!
DBF wrote:
If there are 4 kona spots, and 2 awa dudes get 3rd and 4th, do they both get spots and 5th and 6th get spots also?

Okay so this is how they work.

If there are 4 spots in say the men’s 40-44 the first 4 get the spots.
Then if there are 2 away slots in the 40-44 then the next 2 highest awa people get them.

Simple really.

I still think it’s BS. They should just make all the other spots lottery spots to all finishers and do a random draw at the awards and you must be there to claim your spot.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
I still think it’s BS. They should just make all the other spots lottery spots to all finishers and do a random draw at the awards and you must be there to claim your spot.

That would have the downside of Kona dilution without the upside of monetization. What would be the point in that? They already have a yearly lottery anyway
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
PJC wrote:

That would have the downside of Kona dilution without the upside of monetization. What would be the point in that? They already have a yearly lottery anyway

My point if you are going to just hand out more spots, let it be a bloody party.

Imagine the feeling at awards with peoples numbers called out randomly

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
PJC wrote:

My point if you are going to just hand out more spots, let it be a bloody party.

Imagine the feeling at awards with peoples numbers called out randomly

Just to provide another perspective, as a bubble guy, this is nice.

I made AWA this year, but not because I raced a ton. I was barely off the podium for my AG for my only two HIM's last year, so I made AWA. I'm racing Louisville this year, and made that decision before this AWA stuff. I think there's cases where it's a "pay to play" here, but for plenty of folks like me it's not. The shitty part could go like this:

- In my AG, 1 and 2 get normal slots.
-3rd place beats me by 5 minutes, misses slot because they aren't AWA.
- I finish in 4th, and get an AWA slot.

That seems a bit shitty to me. I still feel like I'd want to be right off the podium (no gaps) to actually earn a slot.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [travisfodor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then go ahead and feel shitty about it.....for exactly 10 seconds! Then jump around because you just EARNED a golden ticket by playing the game the way the rule makers made them.

Those who poo poo a KQ because it didn't come via straight up "qualifying" have no idea what they're missing. Kona is AWESOME however you get there! Nobody there asks/cares how you got there.

I did KQ in Louisville in 2017. Its a great race venue. Good luck to anyone taking a shot. Be unapologetic about your goal.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to it this year as a legacy qualifier but I will be highly surprised if it makes my top five list. The one I want to really do and possibly be my last is IM Wales. It just seems so much more epic. Hopefully Kona will prove me wrong!
Quote Reply

Prev Next