Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

training without caffeine/blood pressure issue
Quote | Reply
After discovering I have quite a high blood pressure for my age and lifestyle at 140/90, I've decided to try and cut my bad espresso/coffee addiction. This is my first full day of no caffeine (had one double shot before I swam yesterday morning), and I am dragging hard. All the typical symptoms, but I was a complete zombie on the bike this morning. It's a rest week so I only had 60 minutes at 70% on the trainer, but every piece of my body felt sore and hurt and it was all I could do for 10 minutes to come close to 50% of my FTP. Does it get easier? If not, I say hell with it and will take at least my morning espresso (down from 2 shots pre-train, 2 or 3 additional pre-lunch coffees, and at least one after lunch).

My diet is great, no added sodium, never fast food, etc. I'm 29, 14% body fat, 6' and 168 lbs. High BP runs in my family, and my mom was on medication at 31, but I refuse to give up just yet. But not drinking caffeine is putting me in a not-happy spot.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Apr 4, 19 15:45
Quote Reply
Re: training without caffeine/blood pressure issue [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No personal experience but read this the other day that suggests it can? https://www.outsideonline.com/.../overdosing-caffeine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about gradually reducing rather than cold turkey? What does your doctor say?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it absolutely gets easier. I have high blood pressure and caffeine definitely spikes it. I completely cut out the caffeine and while it took some adjusting, I got used to it. I also drink decaf at work...just the smell of the coffee and the routine of having it in the morning seems to help. If dropping caffeine completely lowers your blood pressure, you may be one of those (like me) who have a genetic predisposition to caffeine affecting your blood pressure.

Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Does it get easier?

Sure. Took a couple weeks for me to feel ok after quitting cold turkey. It's a powerful drug. A period of withdrawal is to be expected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! Caffeine-free maniac here.

It will get better. Hold the course. Start chewing gum or whittling soap or ironing your socks to get through the withdrawal. It will be around for about a week, depending on how bad your addiction was.

I went from a 4+ cup a day habit (worked in a hospital, it was as free-flowing as Ringers) to nada cold turkey, and the symptoms completely subsided in about two weeks. I did feel like death warmed over at first, but then I started noticing the positives. I slept better! I wasn't twitchy anymore! My resting HR went down! And as much as I miss the coffee, I don't miss how it made me feel once I realized HOW I was feeling when I drank that much.

Good luck. All I can say is hang tight, and feel free to PM me if you need to vent it out.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have similar experience of needing to quit cold turkey for a medical reason. In spirit of full disclosure i will tell you the embarrassing story: I had injured my taint while mountain biking and as a result my prostate swelled up, pinching the nerves (important nerves!) that run through the prostate, and it apparently takes a looooong time for that swelling to go down. In the meantime, caffeine made it flare up such that whenever I would ride my bike it felt like someone was stomping on my balls (and not in a good way).

So, for a good couple months, coffee had to go.

It definitely gets better, but it took a good week or two to start feeling normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is quite the caffeine habit and definitely going cold turkey from that will make you feel pretty crappy.
The reality is, at your age and with your blood pressure and with the more aggressive normalisation of blood pressure which is targeted these days, you are heading for medication relatively soon. I doubt that even with completely stopping caffeine you will normalise your blood pressure enough to avoid being on medication.
A few bits of advice:
1. Taper down the caffeine-adverse effects of blood pressure take many years to develop, there is nothing to be gained from simply going cold turkey if you don't need to.
2. Make sure your blood pressure is being properly measured (ie not a simple home self testing device or a quick single reading from the GP). You should have multiple consecutive readings after a period of rest before being labelled as hypertensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is it always high? the reason I ask is that I at one point thought I had high BP and it was, during allergy season in TX, ie cedar fever(xmas-march) jacked me to 160/100. when cedar not blowing in wind 110/70. not living in hill country anymore has solved that issue for me. just an n=1 anecdote and also family history of high BP
Quote Reply