Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BarryP recovery question
Quote | Reply
STers,

Last year between aug-oct I dealt with a bone bruise caused by missmanagement of my running trainning did with a local tri group. After my last race of the season in late Oct I quited and started tooking care of myself.

I made my way from nothing, while doing the TR Traditional Base Mid Vol, to 40k @ 220'' this week, whichcoincide with my 7th week (the last one before recovery) of TR Half Tri High Volume Plan. Until now everything was fine, didnt miss a single trainning day and I'm feeling fit, BUT after my last long run (12k @ 5'30''/km) I started feeling that small pain in the inside part of the lower leg. My PT says I'm fine, but I want to back it off next week and start the build totally fresh.

So my question is: how do I do a recovery week in a BarryP trainning schedulle? Should I cut off some days, reduce the volume but mantaining 6-5 days/week? Move back to the training from a few weeks back? And after that, how do I come back? Can I go more than 10% or should I keep following the "rules"?

Any tips are appreciated.
Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: BarryP recovery question [binhopires] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always kept the 6 days a week but reduced volume of all runs. But that was in an attempt to reduce fatigue, not let an injury recover. In your case I think a few days off running first would be good, then starting back with reduced volume as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm my experience, taking days off completely led to worse injury and longer recovery time. In your situation, if not in pain, I would do some super duper easy runs, maybe only 15 minutes to keep things flowing.
Quote Reply
Re: BarryP recovery question [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I always kept the 6 days a week but reduced volume of all runs. But that was in an attempt to reduce fatigue, not let an injury recover. In your case I think a few days off running first would be good, then starting back with reduced volume as well.

Nice. How much do you used to reduce during these days?

nickwhite wrote:
I'm my experience, taking days off completely led to worse injury and longer recovery time. In your situation, if not in pain, I would do some super duper easy runs, maybe only 15 minutes to keep things flowing.[

I also think this is the best approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
binhopires wrote:
I started feeling that small pain in the inside part of the lower leg. My PT says I'm fine, but I want to back it off next week and start the build totally fresh.

There's always some niggles & sometimes it's tricky to decide if it's an injury or just a small issue.

Assuming there's no significant shooting/stabbing pains I'd continue to run, but just cut the volume down on all runs. It's fine to cut the medium/long even more than the short, your aim here isn't building anything just ticking over to help the healing.

With the spare time increase foam rolling & have a look for exercises that should address the issue, build these into your daily/weekly routine to ensure its kept on top of.
Quote Reply
Re: BarryP recovery question [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect!
Thank you very much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd take a few days off. Any bone type pain is a big red flag and the pain you're describing could be classified as the beginning of stress injury that could progress to a stress reaction or stress fracture of your tibia if you're not careful.

Do you feel pain walking?
Quote Reply
Re: BarryP recovery question [TMR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMR wrote:
I'd take a few days off. Any bone type pain is a big red flag and the pain you're describing could be classified as the beginning of stress injury that could progress to a stress reaction or stress fracture of your tibia if you're not careful.

Do you feel pain walking?

No pain. Not even running. I have to press to feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a BarryP plan recovery week I:

- Skip the long run completely
- Lower one of the medium runs by about 25% distance
- Do no speed work

Dan
Quote Reply