Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cyclist wearing dark clothing on busy road [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihawg wrote:
I'm not commenting at all on whether it is easier to see someone or not. It clearly is easier to see someone wearing hi-vis and bright colors. What I'm commenting on it that it seems (to me) that no matter what I wear, drivers behave the same.
A driver who will drive dangerously when they see you is not likely to be safer when they don't.
However, even if they don't give you much space or otherwise behave badly, virtually all drivers will act to avoid actually hitting you. If they see you. Also there are in fact drivers who treat cyclists with some respect. These are certainly hampered by you making yourself difficult to see..

Claiming that being seen or not makes no difference is nonsense.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist wearing dark clothing on busy road [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

Oh, brother. Snowflakes gonna snowflake.

Funny enough, before all those afraid of their own shadow bought bikes, cyclists did not feel the need to cover their bike with Christmas lights and wrap themselves in hideous clothing.

Don't be such a turd.

Increasing visibility to avoid being killed in now way whatsoever makes one afraid of their shadow or a "snowflake". Your comment is uninformed, nonsensical, and purposefully offensive for the fun of being an asshole. Your comment has no redeeming qualities.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist wearing dark clothing on busy road [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen, that's why I have life insurance, disability insurance, and legal insurance. Funny enough, before all those afraid of their own shadows got their own cars, drivers did not feel the need to add these mirror-like monkey ears to their steel steeds , and flash their rear end like Rudolph's nose every time they brake. Drives me mad! What are they gonna do next? Tell me I have to safety signs in my factory! You know what they say, "Better dead than safe"

Arch Stanton wrote:

Funny enough, before all those afraid of their own shadow bought bikes, cyclists did not feel the need to cover their bike with Christmas lights and wrap themselves in hideous clothing.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Apr 5, 19 5:54
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist wearing dark clothing on busy road [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do think hi viz helmets and jerseys help. I've ridden a BMW GS (multiple versions through the years) motorcycle for years and always wear a schuberth hi viz helmet when I ride. You can spot the helmet far away. granted, you do look like a teletubby, but I am much more noticeable to other drivers on the road than if I were wearing a black helmet. I take the moto to my office once or twice a week, but I don't ride nearly as much as I did in the past, as it's getting worse on the roads. That said, I feel infinitely safer on my motorcycle than on my R3 or tri bike hammering away on the side of the road. Riding a motorcycle requires you to be locked in (no phones, no music, etc), however, it allows for the unique perspective of seeing almost every driver holding a phone in one hand and staring at its screen, which is absolutely horrifying. You really notice how stupid people are on a moto because you are moving at the same rate of speed. It's rare I see somebody not looking at a phone. High viz can only help. Also, motorists are much more respectful to me when I am on my motorcycle than road bike if they nearly kill me. Apologize immediately and wave, etc. It's the inverse on my road bike. I've received several f-you a few times a month and the general comments that most cyclists receive.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist wearing dark clothing on busy road [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
Riding a motorcycle requires you to be locked in (no phones, no music, etc), however, it allows for the unique perspective of seeing almost every driver holding a phone in one hand and staring at its screen, which is absolutely horrifying. You really notice how stupid people are on a moto because you are moving at the same rate of speed. It's rare I see somebody not looking at a phone.

Thanks for that info Nerd. It really pisses me off that I may end up pedaling in place staring at a screen indoors down the road (not yet) because of smartphones. Are those of us who are pissed that motorists aren't punished more severely after injuring cyclists also just as pissed that more states haven't passed laws prohibiting phone use in motor vehicles?

Also, I know that motorcyclists talk about riding as if you are invisible to other road users. I also think that is crucial for cyclists to do. Make sure you are visible, of course, but don't expect other road users to see you. Ride with vigilance.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 5, 19 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist wearing dark clothing on busy road [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Georgia recently passed such a law. Obeying that law hasn't fully caught on.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist wearing dark clothing on busy road [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
Georgia recently passed such a law. Obeying that law hasn't fully caught on.

I'm guessing it will take a movement like MADD for there to be much change in enforcement regarding phone use in motor vehicles, but passing laws are a start. Currently, it seems U.S. folks have decided surrounding themselves with more metal is the best way to deal with what's happening on the roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist wearing dark clothing on busy road [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think hi viz shoes and socks only help. Your feet and legs are in motion. That is what might catch a driver’s eye. The rest just blends into the background and is marked up by retailers to prey on safety conscious consumers.

Nerd wrote:
I do think hi viz helmets and jerseys help. I've ridden a BMW GS (multiple versions through the years) motorcycle for years and always wear a schuberth hi viz helmet when I ride. You can spot the helmet far away. granted, you do look like a teletubby, but I am much more noticeable to other drivers on the road than if I were wearing a black helmet. I take the moto to my office once or twice a week, but I don't ride nearly as much as I did in the past, as it's getting worse on the roads. That said, I feel infinitely safer on my motorcycle than on my R3 or tri bike hammering away on the side of the road. Riding a motorcycle requires you to be locked in (no phones, no music, etc), however, it allows for the unique perspective of seeing almost every driver holding a phone in one hand and staring at its screen, which is absolutely horrifying. You really notice how stupid people are on a moto because you are moving at the same rate of speed. It's rare I see somebody not looking at a phone. High viz can only help. Also, motorists are much more respectful to me when I am on my motorcycle than road bike if they nearly kill me. Apologize immediately and wave, etc. It's the inverse on my road bike. I've received several f-you a few times a month and the general comments that most cyclists receive.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist wearing dark clothing on busy road [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are right... believe I saw a study to that effect somewhere.

But the really bright flashing lights are the best. And these days they are so cheap and easy to use, there is no excuse.
Last edited by: rruff: Apr 5, 19 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist wearing dark clothing on busy road [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
It would be a presumptous wild ass guess on my part ..... so I do not know the answer .... but different studies indicate the truth is routinely 'stretched'.

Sure, but how many drivers will hit a cyclist that they actually see? And by "see" I mean it registers in their brain. Thankfully no more than a tiny fraction of people would want to kill or injure a random person, and most of those wouldn't want to get their car dinged up... even if they thought they could hit and run.

When you make yourself nearly impossible *not* to notice, you've improved your odds tremendously. Plus the "I didn't see him" defense is no longer viable.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist wearing dark clothing on busy road [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw this topic and first thought was "if front and rear lights are nice and bright then shouldn't matter".

Headed home last night after the A ride, someone not part of the group looked like a darned camouflaged forest creature. His rear blinky light had failed or was out of battery and he had the dimmest little front blinky light I'd ever seen.

He was asking to get hit. I thought I saw a random object moving in the bike lane up ahead. When I caught and passed the dude I told him his rear lamp was out. He continued on in the road anyway after I passed.

He was wearing all black/navy kit. I couldn't see him as a fellow cyclist until I was withing bike headlight distance of him.

It was bad.

So, I can see the argument for at least some subtle reflective accents on a helmet or pedals. Maybe a reflective sticker on the back of the seat tube or something.
Quote Reply

Prev Next