Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Minoxidil/Rogaine and exercise performance?
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

Quick question for those in the forum that have ever tried rogaine (midoxinil). I'm a 30's guy who was recently advised by his hair cutter to start rogaine to prevent my hair from receding. I wasn't particularly happy to hear this, but I took the advice and went and bought a bottle.

Fast forward a week later, and I've noticed that although I feel totally normal after I use the stuff during the day, I notice that I feel a bit "flat" when i'm working out. For example, my HR is harder to get up, and I just feel generally more tired/lethargic/sluggish when training. I'm not sure if this is all in my head or not, so wanted to ask if anyone else on the forum has used this stuff and noticed a similar effect? I read online a bit about it and it seems the stuff was originally used as a hypertensive and lowers BP (orally, i'm not sure about topically), so it seems like this could be a real possibility.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Minoxidil/Rogaine and exercise performance? [enduroevo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A one time bump because I have a hard time believing that many folks on this forum might not have previously experimented with using this product -- and I am very curious about others' thoughts! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enduroevo wrote:
Hey all,

Quick question for those in the forum that have ever tried rogaine (midoxinil). I'm a 30's guy who was recently advised by his hair cutter to start rogaine to prevent my hair from receding. I wasn't particularly happy to hear this, but I took the advice and went and bought a bottle.

Fast forward a week later, and I've noticed that although I feel totally normal after I use the stuff during the day, I notice that I feel a bit "flat" when i'm working out. For example, my HR is harder to get up, and I just feel generally more tired/lethargic/sluggish when training. I'm not sure if this is all in my head or not, so wanted to ask if anyone else on the forum has used this stuff and noticed a similar effect? I read online a bit about it and it seems the stuff was originally used as a hypertensive and lowers BP (orally, i'm not sure about topically), so it seems like this could be a real possibility.

Thanks!

Ask the prescribing doctor. Oh wait, your hair stylist. Well, I'm sure they covered all the potential side effects with you before recommending it so you could make an informed decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just google 'rogaine side effects' I did and decided to stay away from that crap.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 10 years ago I tried it, and after about 2 weeks I developed several of the side effects: swollen hands and feet, rapid weight gain, fatigue, and elevated heart rate. I immediately quit using it, and it took several weeks to get back to normal...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting! I did do some reading around on google and google scholar, but the results are really mixed. For example, clinical trials say that only a small percent of users (less than 5%) report any side effects at all. What's unclear is that apparently the drug was originally developed to be taken orally as an anti-hypertensive drug which lowers blood pressure -- but there isn't much info online on whether the topical formula has similar effects on BP. In cases like this, the likelihood for placebo (e.g., reading there are side effects associated so over-reporting of them) is high, so I was hoping to see if any others on the forum had experienced similar side effects so as to rule this possibility out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enduroevo wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks!

More likely than not, you're encountering a cognitive bias rather than a pharmacological effect of the minoxidil. More specifically, confirmation bias, and a nocebo effect. As nocebo and placebo effects are real it's not something that should be discounted either. In any case, topical minoxidil acts as a vasodilator and is effective for hair growth. It's a low dose as a topical agent and has a history of low/no side effects at prescribed doses. Applying it at levels higher than the directed dose increases chances of side effects. From the studies available, side effects don't seem to be a big enough factor that would prompt the patient from discontinuing use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enduroevo wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks!

Embrace being a baldie.
It happens.
Think of the $$$ saved each year not having to go to get your hair cut.
Spend that dosh and all the saved snake-oil charges on carbon fibre and aero gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Minoxidil/Rogaine and exercise performance? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:

Embrace being a baldie.
It happens.
Think of the $$$ saved each year not having to go to get your hair cut.
Spend that dosh and all the saved snake-oil charges on carbon fibre and aero gear.

I’d argue that you spend quite a bit on shaving cream and blades (which are probably as expensive as the generic brand medicines). Once you go down the path of shaving it seems like you have to be all over it because even the slightest bit of growth tends to make it look worse / older.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on it for over 25 years now. I never had an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using it about 6 months and haven't noticed any negative effects, also in my mid 30's
Quote Reply