Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

In good news today; offer on house & place on MBA
Quote | Reply
And I've turned one of them down, and am pondering the second

To MBA or Not, that is the question.......
Quote Reply
Re: In good news today; offer on house & place on MBA [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on your posts, I’m not sure an mba will teach you anything. In terms of adding value, the recommendation I always see is that top 10 schools are worth it, anything else is hit or miss (usually miss).

Of course, those are typically in “time value of money” and other concepts, which on paper make sense but sometimes fall apart in the real world.

Personally, I found an mba helped me move from a military technical role to a broader general management and sales role. Currently I am leading the distribution efforts for a global 100 company in an entirely new industry (for me). The mba helped me continue to “learn how to learn” and my engineering background helps with organizing and process thinking. Not sure where I would be had I not invested my time and $ in the program. I did not go to a top 10 school, but I have lived in/near the Rocky Mountains and been able to have a reasonable work-life blend the past 20 years.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: In good news today; offer on house & place on MBA [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply

I think there are some non-monetary benefits.

It's a good school, top 10 in France, top 30 globally for some of its programs in FT rankings (what ever thats worth)

I think I am very weak on management finance / accounting and outside of large program management and strategy I've not done much operational management (and don't want to) for a decade.

I think it offers a clear reason to future employers on my ongoing career break (skiing).

It offers mandatory language tuition, a good industry network and I think most importantly, some continued professional development which in the most general sense I've not had for a decade.

The time / money calculations are not really a consideration. From a financial perspective it would be pointless, from a networking perspective, from the perspective of getting to grips with finance / accounting and the network given we're based here, I can't really buy that.

I'm 44, I need to do some thing in some form prospectively. I've been out of formal education / training for more than a decade since my last "professional development" and I have an idea of how I'd like to use it.

What to do what to do.....
Quote Reply
Re: In good news today; offer on house & place on MBA [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The network is important. Both of my institutions are weaker than I’d like. Of course, I am part of the problem right now but hopefully can be part of the solution going forward.

Completely agree that at some point the cost-benefit analysis typically does not include the more qualitative aspects of getting the degree. The exposure to a strong network, the ability to leverage past experiences with new education, the chance to continue learning, all are valuable but difficult to put a hard number to.

The qualitative inputs on my decision ended up outweighing the quantitative inputs. Hence my decision on the school I attended and the first career choice I made. With 20-20 hindsight I can see some mistakes, but I still would make similar choices today given the chance.

Good luck with your decision. An enviable place to be in and probably no “bad” options.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: In good news today; offer on house & place on MBA [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I thought I was in the running for a fairly senior role at a big 4 consultancy, but because its the middle east its difficult to know. Its always tomorrow tomorrow.

I would like to be able to credibly make that leap, so I need a good school and strong network. I'd also like to either change sectors, from healthcare, or at least move more in to operational strategy and away from disease and delivery strategy.

It's a year. I'm not looking for a pay rise or a promotion so it may well fit the bill
Quote Reply