Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lori Lightfoot wins Chicago mayoral race, to become city's first black woman mayor
Quote | Reply
I am looking forward to the day where a black woman becoming mayor isn't such a big deal. I thought this might have happened already in cities like Chicago and Detroit but apparently it's another ceiling broken..

"Lori Lightfoot overwhelmingly defeated Toni Preckwinkle for mayor of Chicago on Tuesday, winning by nearly a three to one margin. Precinct-level data shows that Preckwinkle only won precincts in Hyde Park, her home base, but everywhere else Lightfoot dominated."

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Lori Lightfoot wins Chicago mayoral race, to become city's first black woman mayor [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget that she's also openly gay - for the trifecta.

She talks a really good game - hope she can shape things up downtown.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lori Lightfoot wins Chicago mayoral race, to become city's first black woman mayor [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:

If she kills the corruption there is no need for her massive taxes
Quote Reply
Re: Lori Lightfoot wins Chicago mayoral race, to become city's first black woman mayor [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huge "if"
Quote Reply
Re: Lori Lightfoot wins Chicago mayoral race, to become city's first black woman mayor [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
TiDriver wrote:

If she kills the corruption there is no need for her massive taxes

Better chances that she kills corruption than Toni Preckwinkle, who is just part of the big Chicago political machine.

I know. Low bar.
Last edited by: Francois: Apr 3, 19 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Lori Lightfoot wins Chicago mayoral race, to become city's first black woman mayor [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ECE wrote:
Huge "if"

Agreed. She tried and got mixed results as the Chairman of the Police Civil Review Board. However, she was an Assistant Federal District Attorney so she knows her way around the law and how to get things done across agencies, so with the position of Mayor behind her, and apparently a good portion of Chicago as well, she may have a chance.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Lori Lightfoot wins Chicago mayoral race, to become city's first black woman mayor [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree that she has the momentum and the mandate to do what should have been done decades ago, but the "concession" speech Preckwinkle gave wasn't exactly an olive branch.

If she gets reformers like Waguespack on her side and starts to get the cronies out of the power seats she may have a chance to get some structural reform into the city services groups that are dragging down the city finances. She also can't be the punching bag that Rahm became for the CTU leadership.
Quote Reply
Re: Lori Lightfoot wins Chicago mayoral race, to become city's first black woman mayor [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am looking forward to the day where a black woman becoming mayor isn't such a big deal.

It isn’t.

It’s time to move on.

Her race and gender is totally irrelevant to her qualifications, successes and/or failures.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I thought this might have happened already in cities like Chicago and Detroit but apparently it's another ceiling broken..

Detroit has never had a female mayor. Granholm has been Michigan's only female governor.

Coleman Young was Detroit's first black mayor (74-94), then Dennis Archer (94-01), Kwame (01-prison), Dave Bing (09-13).
From 74 to 13, Detroit only elected black men as mayors.
Quote Reply
Re: Lori Lightfoot wins Chicago mayoral race, to become city's first black woman mayor [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If she could read my mind she'd know I think,that it will be 10 degrees or colder in hell before she cleans up Chicago. If she tries it will be sundown on her term that will end up worse than the wreck of the edmund fitzgerald
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait Gordon Lightfoot had a black daughter?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply