Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much does weight matter? [ILoveMyTrinity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ILoveMyTrinity wrote:
That's true, I'm a standard triathlete in my own right. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. I am looking to complete a HIM in May in 5hrs 30mins on a flat, forgiving course.

Mick?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ILoveMyTrinity wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
also...

for a ramp test you are suppose to completely empty the tank. the last interval is an absolute failure point. your legs simply will not work anymore. it’s not “hard” it’s “impossible”.

i’m wondering with a result of 140, maybe you bailed too early?

In hindsight, absolutely. I will have to redo the test with this in mind, avoiding embarrassing results this time!

Yeah I'd be surprised if 140 was your FTP. That's pretty low for a fit male. I would expect closer to 200. What wind trainer were you using for Zwift?
Quote Reply
Re: How much does weight matter? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Schnellinger wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Schnellinger wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
ILoveMyTrinity wrote:
RCCo wrote:
What is your current FTP and how fast is your swim and run?

My FTP is 140, so just over 2 watts per kg. I know this isn't very good and the bulk of my training has gone into cycling recently. I swim steady at just under 2 min/ 100m and I'm currently running around 5min/km.

Hello

1) I do not think your FTP is 140w. Given your swim and run it is more probably 200w+ ?

2) don't overthink about your weight. You are light. Just train correctly, fuel correctly, and avoid too much cookies, fat and alcohol.
But give your body what it needs to enhance your muscles. At 68kg for 1m75, I don't know what is your muscle mass vs fat mass, but training correctly and eating correctly will help, whatever it reduce (fat reduction) or increase (muscle increase) your body weight.

200?? Neither his swim or his run would indicate amazing fitness to drop a 200+ watt FTP

Unless 200w is with one leg, it should be pretty easy to achieve for someone who runs at 5min/km during a 70.3

He said he’s currently running that pace not racing a 70.3 run at the pace. The numbers don’t make sense. He wants to go 5:30. If he can swim 2:00/100m let be generous and comes out with transition at 45 mins. Running a 1:50ish would still give him 2:55 for the bike. If his ftp was over 200 watts on the bike and is sub 150lbs we’d be talking about under 5hrs not under 5:30.

200+ watt ftp, on a flat course at his size is easily 22-23 mph if not more. I did Florida 70.3 bike at 200 watts avg at 23.5mph and I probably had 20lbs and 6 inches on him at the time.

Unless I`m mistaken, you're not able to hold your FTP for a half. He would probably be riding at 150-170, at most, with an FTP at 200 and that does not equate to 22-23mph on any course. Probably not even 20

Disagree on the speed part. Even at 150 watts on a flat course at his weight he can be pushing 20+mph You can look at the numbers on bike calculator. Obviously it depends on position and set up but not out of the realm of possibility anyways.

There are a couple people saying that he’s probably over 200 watts ftp, it just doesn’t make sense. Anything over 200 you’re really getting into the 20s on a flat course with a good set up.

Considering the fact that he is new to cycling I find it hard to believe that he's position is dialled in and fine tuned. He's probably not wearing a skin suit nor an aero helmet. Does he shave his legs? How are his wheels? That you can get into the 20´s at 200 watts doesn't mean that a rookie can. I guess you pay more attention to aerodynamics than any newcomer does. Only fair to belive that his ftp is more than 140 and that it wouldn't make him particularly fast.
Quote Reply
Re: How much does weight matter? [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL at using an IM course with less than 10ft elevation per mile, and likely the advantages of being in an event where some kind of passerby draft is inevitable with a field of that size.

Go out and do a TT, truly alone, with 50ft per mile and see what 200w gets you. It won't get you a 23.5mph avg speed, that's for sure.

Using IM FL as an example is about the same as using the British "freeway" time trial courses where they have 55+ mph cars passing by them within inches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That FTP is pretty low.....my guess based on everything else your saying your FTP is higher
Quote Reply
Re: How much does weight matter? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

If I had to choose between losing a kg and revamping my training a bit to get more run frequency/volume and a 2-3 extra tempo sessions in that 6-3 week period prior to the race without a large increase in fatigue heading into a major race I know what I would choose.

hmm which would you choose? You never actually said -

I'm looking on cutting from 191 to low 180s or so this week for a Sunday race. I've cut before for other reasons. The only thing I am concerned about is taking away food stores that my body has been using during training, which may lead to nutritional walls that I hit race day that I am unaccustomed to dealing with, but I guess would just have to make it to the next aid station.....

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply

Prev Next