Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

docs...hernia or groin pull help pls
Quote | Reply
about a month ago was doing front squats in the gym. wasnt doing heavy weight, i was really working on proper form and a full range of motion. a couple days later i have a discomfort right above the crease of my leg on the left side. there's no pain, it's just not right. i had a groin pull 20+ yrs ago but it seems like it was lower on my leg.

when i apply compression to the area it feels better. and, the discomfort comes and goes. if i dont do anything too strenuous for a couple days it seems to go away. if i ride/play tennis, then it's bothersome. i haven't lifted since the issue started, thinking it was a pull, but it is still there, but i'm prob not giving it long enough to recover.

flew with a buddy a couple weeks ago who had a hernia in the same area. he said he noticed it when he was about to get into the shower, he went and blew his nose and he saw the area that i'm referencing protrude when he blew. he spoke to someone that said if you hold your nose and blow and see an 'inflation'(i hope i'm conveying what i'm trying to describe) in your groin area you've got a hernia. when i hold my nose and blow there's no abnormalities there.

if i had a hernia would the discomfort come and go? or does this sound like a pulled muscle? or is there no way to tell from what i've told ya.

thanks

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: docs...hernia or groin pull help pls [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds very much like an inguinal hernia, all things considered. That won't fix itself with time. Go see your doc, PA, NP, whomever. Pretty straight forward, if there's protrusion with intraabdominal pressure (sneezing, coughing, etc.) and relieved with pressure.

The only caviat is if there's no protrusion, and pain goes down into the medial aspect of the thigh (adducter muscle) then there's a possibility of athletic pubalgia (i.e. sports hernia) which a majority of primary care providers will misdiagnose as an inguinal hernia. Put a thick pillow between your knees and try to squeeze them together. If it causes sharp abdominal pain and pain in your leg, be very suspicious of sports hernia and mention that to your provider.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had two inguinal hernias in the last 4 years. Neither protruded, don't go by that symptom alone.

The first happened while running, ran through a swarm of gnats and sucked quite a few into the ol intake, which resulted in a massive reflex cough, WHAMMO. Left side inguinal blow out., I thought I strained an abdominal muscle. Waited to see the Dr for 2-3 weeks, an ultrasound confirmed the hernia, surgeon wanted an MRI to more accurately pinpoint the location. My pain came and went. It would hurt if I squatted down or sneezed, other than that I was totally fine, trained and raced throughout. Surgery a week later.

The second happened Feb 2018, building a metal frame, tried to muscle two bolt holes into alignment, WHAMMO. This one felt like I had been shot in the right inner thigh, dropped me to the ground. Very weird, Dr and PT thought it was a groin pull, right side adductor movement was horrible. Again no protrusion, ultrsound didn't reveal anything. Finally got approved to see a general surgeon (luckily same surgeon as before), he gave me the old fashion, "turn your head and cough" exam, bingo! Surgery the next week. Now I'm 48 years old, two fresh-ish inguinal hernia repairs and a horrific fear of lifting anything heavier than 50 lbs.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Apr 2, 19 6:28
Quote Reply
Re: docs...hernia or groin pull help pls [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the intel sphere and mck.

sphere, i did the pillow thing, no additional discomfort or anything unusual.
is/was just a test to try and deduce which type of hernia it may be?

thanks so much guys.

edit: sphere, i think youre a guy, i honestly dont know, if not, my apologies. thank you ma'am.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, sometimes hard to distinguish. Here's a bit of a primer.

https://www.totalperformancept.com/...in-or-sports-hernia/
Quote Reply
Re: docs...hernia or groin pull help pls [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx mucho.
man, had no idea how close the two could mimic each other.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'r very welcome, now get yourself an appointment with the doc!

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could also be a labrum tear. They checked for both when my labrum was torn. Similar area and pain can make it hard to distinguish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And be very cautious about googling inguinal hernia images. I have a few images seared into my retinas.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: docs...hernia or groin pull help pls [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
You'r very welcome, now get yourself an appointment with the doc!

i was sure hoping yall were just going say it's prob a pulled muscle, i really dont like the idea of surgery. i've never been knocked out.
had an uncles cousin die a couple weeks ago after hip surgery. she was kinda old, early 70s, but took very good care of herself, was in great shape. she died of sepsis.
then had a guy from work in his mid 40s die of sepsis also a few months ago. this is what really scares me.
but i'll let a professional check it out. it's quite annoying.

thanks yall

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: docs...hernia or groin pull help pls [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
For that particular surgery, they can do it with regional anesthesia instead of knocking you out.

i had no idea.
hmmmm...part of me, no freaking way.
but i did have all my wisdom teeth pulled via local only.

thank you

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: docs...hernia or groin pull help pls [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I come out of general anesthesia pretty easy. Either way, you're going to be loaded up on narcotics. You wont feel a thing for a while. If you're like me that evening you'll be making all kinds of plans with your time off work. The next morning when the dope has worn off, you're going to toss that list of things to do in the trash.

-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Apr 4, 19 17:09
Quote Reply