Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Driving from Atlanta to Birmingham Alabama
Quote | Reply
May be flying to Atlanta and driving to Birmingham for a wedding. Google saying about 2:20 hrs. and either rt 85 to 20 or rt285 to 20 straight through to Birmingham.

If we fly into Atlanta at 9 am on a Friday, would the drive be the 2+ hrs or so or would the traffic at that time be bad. Would be driving back to Atlanta around noon on Sunday

Trying to decide to drive or just fly. If we fly from home, it's 5:30-6 hrs with layover and price is 3x flying just to Atlanta. Plus I need to get a car in Birmingham anyway so that cost is incured either way.
Quote Reply
Re: Driving from Atlanta to Birmingham Alabama [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traffic shouldn't be bad then, unless it rains. You do go through a time zone change don't you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drive, generally I'd say via 285 to 20, but you should check your traffic app when you get ready to roll.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in west GA.

Once you get up to I-20 (via I-75/85 or I-285, doesn't matter), it's a straight shot to B'ham. You'll be going against traffic until you get close to B'ham.

As long as you keep it 80 mph and under, no cop is going to give you a second look. You can bump it up to 85 once you cross into AL (everyone else does).

Getting back into the game...
Slower than you.
Quote Reply
Re: Driving from Atlanta to Birmingham Alabama [bcart1991] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, sounds like a good option. Just saved myself $2300 in flights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be aware that I-59/20 in Birmingham is closed downtown from exit 126 to I-65 (exit 124) so you will need to detour (with the usual traffic associated with detours) somewhere before the closure. You can go up to the city center and northward on I-65 and westward on I-20/59 but I-20/59 from I-65 to US Rt. 280/31 is closed.

https://5920bridge.com/detours/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the drive from Atlanta once years ago (only time I've been to Birmingham), flew into ATL and then drove the rest of the way where it was cheaper and also easier logistically given my schedule.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Driving from Atlanta to Birmingham Alabama [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We get in really early now so even with the drive we have plenty of time to explore Birmingham. And going home we get in late afternoon rather than late at night so all in all it should be better.
Quote Reply