Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any gardeners??
Quote | Reply
I am guessing there are at least a few vegetable gardeners on here. Anyone getting as antsy as I am to get things going? We had a really cold winter by Oklahoma standards so it is going to take a bit for the soil to get warmed up. We hopefully had our last freeze last night. We live in the middle of the city but have a good sized yard and garden. Last Sunday we had a duck land in our backyard and build a nest next to the hoop house where I started all of my seeds. Now The kids are anxiously waiting on the 9 eggs it laid to hatch. Is anyone growing anything somewhat unique or odd compared to the things most people tend to grow? This year I have glass gem corn, burgundy okra, white eggplant, peanuts, and purple sweet potatoes which all should be interesting I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Any gardeners?? [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grow vegetables every summer and fall. Actually some of what is grown does so on its own from seeds leftover from the previous season. Tomatoes sprouted up in early March but the cold kept them from growing much. The last days have been warm and it shows. Due to rain and traveling, I planted seeds late and not expecting much. My hope is to get at least a few beets and melons. If the corn and leeks grow, it will be miraculous given the transitional weather now.

Quote | Reply
We live in the country and plant vegetables. We typically get about 100lbs of potatoes, 40lbs of onions and carrots.
I was getting the plot ready for the potatoes on Saturday and then we got about 4" of snow on Sunday. I'll wait another few weeks...

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We grow a bunch of everything in our backyard in CO.

I think last year we had tomatoes, peppers, watermelons, beans, peas, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, grapes, onions, carrots, squash and a few other things.

We completely jam in in our back yard. Spacing is kinda an afterthought. But we just don’t have a huge yard compared to like the Midwest or other places.
Quote Reply
Re: Any gardeners?? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year the full garden for us will be raspberries, blackberries, 4 tomato varieties, 6 pepper varieties, 2 eggplant varieties, 2 peanut varieties, broccoli, cauliflower, 3 sweet potato varieties, 2 Okra varieties, and 2 corn varieties, green beans, 3 onion varieties, squash, and zucchini. It is by far the largest number of different things we have planted.
I have a couple of friends that I get together with each year and we all contribute to the seeds we have and then start everything at my house. We end up giving away a whole lot more than we use between the 3 of us but each year my goal is to get a new person involved in gardening. It makes it fun and my oldest son (6) loves it. This year we also have a mallard hen nesting next to the little greenhouse where the seedlings are so that has been fun too. So far she has laid nine eggs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan large infrastructure projects for March and April to keep me from jumping the gun. I'll start planting the first of May of the forecast looks good for the next few days and the ground is warm.

I just got done putting in hardwood floors inside which got me through the last week of crap weather. But the list for the rest of the month is long. And the weather literally breaks today here so I am ready to go.

Trim the fruit trees
Rebuild the raised beds for the roses
Rebuild the back steps/small deck on my house
Install the giant iron pot/fountain in the herb garden
Put a new liner in the fish pond if I can't get the leak fixed
Build a giant outdoor bed for the fire pit area
Go to the gardening symposium at Williamsburg, VA

That should get me through this week. :)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We do a lot of gardening but we don't do anything unique.

Cucumbers, butternut squash, rasberries, variety of tomatoes, calarabi, carrots, beets, zucchini, radishes. This year we are going to try sweet potatoes and onions.

We live in the midwest so it just makes way more sense to buy corn from the local pickup truck stand at 20 cents a ear than to grow it. Unless you have a ton of room for corn it makes no sense.

As for the duck, we had one years ago, chances are if you have kids, they will scare the duck away enough it will abandon the nest. So best is to keep them 20-30 feet away from the nest at a minimum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more of a fruit gardener. a dozen blueberry bushes, raspberries, several new "fall gold" raspberries i'm excited about, fig, a new plum tree, apples, pears, peach, blackberries, boysenberries which are new this year. have some mint for mint juleps and mojitos. grow sweet potatoes usually every year using seed potatoes from the prior year. never much luck with actual vegetables. i don't think i give them enough care.
Quote Reply