Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about a jumping chain
Quote | Reply
My drive train is....
  • SRAM etap
  • SRAM PG-1170 11 speed cassette (11-26T)
  • SRAM Red 22 11 speed hollow pin chain
  • SRAM Force 22 GXP crankset (50/34)

I put this drive train on at the end of last season and have only rode it on the trainer. I haven't used my 50 front, 11 rear combination till today when I went outside. The chain is jumping in that gear only. Not jumping off (laterally) or not like it doesn't want to get into that gear (etap micro- adjustment). It is jumping vertically and falling back on the 11t ring.

I put it on the stand to take a closer look. It rolls about 3 teeth in and the 4th tooth will hit between the link raising the chain. The next link will fall into place and then repeat.

My first thought is the chain length is wrong.

My old drive train was the same except for the cassette which was a Shimano ultegra 11 speed cassette (11-28T).

Has anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Question about a jumping chain [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it possible that it's just slightly brushing the next cog and that is what is moving it?

If you look at it from directly behind are the derailleur pulley wheels slightly towards the wheel putting an angle on the chain or is 11t, pulleys and chain all perfectly vertical?
Last edited by: OddSlug: Mar 31, 19 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: Question about a jumping chain [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took a look and everything seems to be lined up. I think it may be the fact that I dip my chain in paraffin wax and put a new chain on this morning before I went out. I think it may have been wax build up. I did not have that issue with my shimano cassettes. I put it on the trainer for a few minutes as well and could not get it to do it again. I guess I will have to wait til I go out again to know for sure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the wax I bet. Mine does that the first few minutes after I wax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine does that as well... I wax my chain and have eTap on both my road and TT bikes. On my TT bike I was getting skipping mid cassette'sh. On that bike my derailleur was way out of adjustment... as in it would touch my spokes if not under chain tension. Not sure how that happened but I went through a bunch of micro adjustments and it doesn't do that anymore.

My road bike is currently skipping on the 11 gear about once every chain revolution. Just waxed the chain but am going to check the alignment of the derailleur as well. I've not had it do this before though... weird.

Which brings me to a comment on my eTaps... I wish I could adjust or tune them via the USB dongle which as far as I know is good for nothing to us consumers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never dealt with eTap, but if it has a limit screw it could be that it is set too tight to let it properly stay in the 11T.
Quote Reply