Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best way to ship a motorcycle across country?
Quote | Reply
My son has moved back to Ontario after being six years in B.C. I want to ship his Harley Davidson for him. The HD dealer is totally off the wall with their pricing of dealer to dealer costs. I hear yo can bundle the bike with other merchandise being shipped and its a lot cheaper? Train or truck? Do you use a broker? Anybody ever done anything like this?
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to ship a motorcycle across country? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uship.com?

Shipping is expensive. Got some bids from above, but it ended up being not worth it.

I was looking for a specific utility trailer.

Shipping from Southern CA to MN was going to be $2500.

Ended up going local.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ROAD TRIP!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to ship a motorcycle across country? [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That seems like the best option by far. I've priced it out before, never found an option I liked.

But I did once fly to Boston to buy a bike and rode it back to Columbus.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which Harley? If it's a touring bike pay for my expenses and I'll ride it!

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to ship a motorcycle across country? [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:

2017 HD Sportster Roadster 1200. Not really a touring bike but maybe a road trip across the country might be the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to ship a motorcycle across country? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
That seems like the best option by far. I've priced it out before, never found an option I liked.

But I did once fly to Boston to buy a bike and rode it back to Columbus.
-
Bought a bike in Portland, Oregon, flew out, stuffed the saddle bags with my stuff and rode back to Atl; threw in 80 miles or so of dirt road riding, and an extra day on a rental bike in Moab. Good trip, and when I think back on it the only thing I should have done different is take a few more days to enjoy the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally a road trip situation if either of you can take the time off. If the bike itself isn’t something you’d ride that far, rent a pickup and put it in the bed or trailer it and tow it out.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would build a pallet for the bike, making sure it is strapped well and protected well.You want to find a local company that handles LTL shipments. In the states, I would ship using Dayton Freight, ABS, or similar crossdock type shipping company. It will be cheaper for you to deliver to a local cross dock, then either do pick up or curbside delivery. Maybe harder for you to do in Canada.

Typically you will be charged a weight plus size. So if you have 700lbs plus a 60 x 45 x 40 pallet, cross country shipment should be less than $1000. Probably $200 to make a pallet. USD of course.

Here is a Canadian company for you, as an example. https://www.manitoulintransport.com/...ices/ltl-tl-services
Last edited by: shoff14: Mar 31, 19 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

2017 HD Sportster Roadster 1200. Not really a touring bike but maybe a road trip across the country might be the way to go.

With a range of only ~ 250 km, plan the route well.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to ship a motorcycle across country? [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to ship a motorcycle across country? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.wolverinecycle.com

Wasn't thaaat expensive if I remember correctly. Dedicated to motorcycle transports. Maybe not available in Canada though. Would use them again if I had to.

I rented a Penske, bought some floor securing floor plates with the designed-for nylon straps, drilled/screwed/secured the plates into the aluminum floor of the truck, loaded my motorcycles into it, secured them to the nyon straps with tie downs, and did it myself the second time. Removed the screws from the floor before I returned to Penske; they don't care or bother to check for 1/4" holes in the floor.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who wanted the latest Honda 450 motocross bike, but it wasn't available in the US yet. So he flew to Japan, bought the bike, disassembled it, put the engine in one duffel bag, the frame in another, and the wheels and forks in another and flew home. You should try that with the Harley.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

When I was 16 I had my heart set on a Suzuki RF900RR. Scoured the internet for months to find one, finally found one on cycletrader but it was 1,000 miles and a 14 hour drive away. Somehow I convinced my dad that it was worth the trip so we drove down there and took turns riding the motorcycle bike. We had rain, hail, and even got snowed on on the trip back. We were definitely thinking that the truck and enclosed motorcycle trailer would have been a better idea by the time we were done.

Still have the bike, 17 years later!
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to ship a motorcycle across country? [North] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
North wrote:
I have a friend who wanted the latest Honda 450 motocross bike, but it wasn't available in the US yet. So he flew to Japan, bought the bike, disassembled it, put the engine in one duffel bag, the frame in another, and the wheels and forks in another and flew home. You should try that with the Harley.

Should have bought a KTM and stayed home.
Quote Reply