Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brunei - WTF [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
It's legal to kill unborn babies in Canada, no?

It's also legal in the U.S, no?

What about the concentration camps in Cuba for gays? Cool with that, but killing gays is a step too far?

You mean back in the 1950's and 1960's? What about the civil rights in the U.S 60 years ago, why aren't you outraged by that right now?

The actual point is that it is 2019 and Brunei with their Sharia Law are moving back to the stone ages. You seem to be okay with that if people aren't equally outraged by things that happened 60 years ago which is very strange. Why not just condemn what Brunei is doing now instead of trying to draw a moral equivalency?

It's just a really odd side of the argument to fall on.

My point is certain people rejoice in cheap vacations to places that trample basic human rights and blindly ignore the facts.

I do condemn both Brunei and Cuba, my question is why don't others?

I think most people are somehow willing to give Cuba a pass and vacation there because it is a small country that minds its own business and is not a threat to anybody, as far as I know. Whether we go or not is irrelevant, imo, as the regime will not change. Yugoslavia wasn't exactly a shining example of human rights, yet our tourist industry was huge. So is Egypt and other countries.
Quote Reply
Re: Brunei - WTF [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

What about the concentration camps in Cuba for gays? Cool with that, but killing gays is a step too far?

You mean back in the 1950's and 1960's? What about the civil rights in the U.S 60 years ago, why aren't you outraged by that right now?

The actual point is that it is 2019 and Brunei with their Sharia Law are moving back to the stone ages. You seem to be okay with that if people aren't equally outraged by things that happened 60 years ago which is very strange. Why not just condemn what Brunei is doing now instead of trying to draw a moral equivalency?

My point is certain people rejoice in cheap vacations to places that trample basic human rights and blindly ignore the facts.

I think most people are somehow willing to give Cuba a pass and vacation there because it is a small country that minds its own business and is not a threat to anybody, as far as I know. Whether we go or not is irrelevant, imo, as the regime will not change. Yugoslavia wasn't exactly a shining example of human rights, yet our tourist industry was huge. So is Egypt and other countries.

Your moral rationalization is impressive. Pathetic but impressive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I think most people are somehow willing to give Brunei a pass and vacation there because it is a small country that minds its own business and is not a threat to anybody, as far as I know. Whether we go or not is irrelevant, imo, as the regime will not change. Yugoslavia wasn't exactly a shining example of human rights, yet our tourist industry was huge. So is Egypt and other countries.

See what i did there? Interested in the moral gymnastics to defend this now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
softrun wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I think most people are somehow willing to give Brunei a pass and vacation there because it is a small country that minds its own business and is not a threat to anybody, as far as I know. Whether we go or not is irrelevant, imo, as the regime will not change. Yugoslavia wasn't exactly a shining example of human rights, yet our tourist industry was huge. So is Egypt and other countries.

I See what i did there?

Of course everybody does. You once again high jacked a thread that had nothing to do with Cuba because of your ongoing obsession with me. If you actually went to Cuba, you might have an idea of what you're talking about instead of constantly making an ass out of yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Religion of peace.

I guess that is worse that Christians just making being gay a life in prison instead of the death penalty. Much better I guess.

Cite to a source please

I mean Uganda was originally going to have a death sentence,

https://www.npr.org/...ludes-life-in-prison

Is anyone surprised that Christians are so homophobic?

That's also the part of the world where albinos are killed for witchcraft ceremonies so I'm inclined to be a little circumspect that Christianity is the driving force there.

Well

https://www.motherjones.com/...anti-gay-law-uganda/

Can you find a legitimate source?

Look I'm sure there are some nut job Christians who beleive that shit but you have to be intentionally stupid to think that killing gays is a widely accepted Christian doctrine.

https://www.nytimes.com/...africa/04uganda.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

For the same reason some don't condemn Saudi Arabia, China, Russia, Thailand, Philippines and a good majority of the world for their human rights abuses. Others don't condemn Canada, Australia or the U.S for the historical (and continuing) human rights abuses in regards to their native people.

People throw stones at other countries with selective outrage while ignoring what is going on in their own backyard.

Quote Reply
Re: Brunei - WTF [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

For the same reason some don't condemn Saudi Arabia, China, Russia, Thailand, Philippines and a good majority of the world for their human rights abuses. Others don't condemn Canada, Australia or the U.S for the historical (and continuing) human rights abuses in regards to their native people.

People throw stones at other countries with selective outrage while ignoring what is going on in their own backyard.

Just curious as to what current human rights atrocities the US, Canada and Australia are committing?
Quote Reply
Re: Brunei - WTF [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
softrun wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I See what i did there?

Of course everybody does. You once again high jacked a thread that had nothing to do with Cuba because of your ongoing obsession with me. If you actually went to Cuba, you might have an idea of what you're talking about instead of constantly making an ass out of yourself.
+1. He is just nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Brunei - WTF [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
softrun wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I See what i did there?

I just find the hypocrisy of you condemning one country for violating human rights while full bore endorsing another violator pathetic.

Here's an imperfect analogy. Jamaica is a paradise, as long as you stay on resort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
softrun wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I See what i did there?

+1. He is just nuts.

How so? Have I made up the ladies in white? The lack of civil rights? The fact people can't emigrate?
Quote Reply

Prev Next