Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Investment Advice For 72 Year Old Retired Individual
Quote | Reply
My mother-in-law recently sold her home (now renting) and we are looking for advice on investment options. Given the volatility of the markets, I'm reluctant to go that route. She does have some health issues, but we're staying conservative and planning for a 15 to 20 year investment horizon.

For the sake of stability and security, I was looking at a "ladder" of 1 to 5 year GICs that would average out at around 3.2% per year. Not a fantastic return but might be worth it for the security.

Am I missing any other options that would give better returns with low risk?
Quote Reply
Re: Investment Advice For 72 Year Old Retired Individual [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo71 wrote:
My mother-in-law recently sold her home (now renting) and we are looking for advice on investment options. Given the volatility of the markets, I'm reluctant to go that route. She does have some health issues, but we're staying conservative and planning for a 15 to 20 year investment horizon.

For the sake of stability and security, I was looking at a "ladder" of 1 to 5 year GICs that would average out at around 3.2% per year. Not a fantastic return but might be worth it for the security.

Am I missing any other options that would give better returns with low risk?

Kind of off topic but does your MIL have the right insurance coverage? Does she have a Medigap policy? If not, her savings could be greatly reduced if she had a long hospitalization. It looks like you want to try and take the risk out of investing and preserver her wealth, have you looked at T-Bills? For the conservative investor that should be an option. Also look into things like iShares Edge MSCI Min Vol USA ETF, an index composed of U.S. equities that, in the aggregate, have lower volatility characteristics relative to the broader U.S. equity market.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Investment Advice For 72 Year Old Retired Individual [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you are missing much.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How financially secure is she? What tax bracket is she in? If she can't afford a down market, sounds conservative. If she is sitting on a $2.0 million of low basis stock and living on SS, then I would have different advice than a GIC. I'm not real big on GICs and tying your money up.
Last edited by: summitt: Apr 2, 19 8:28
Quote Reply