Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAF Academy Chapel
Quote | Reply
In the category of "What's another $68 million in the scheme of things" category.

The Chapel at the USAF Academy was supposed to be renovated, at the cost of $68 million, beginning this year. However, after Hurricane Michael leveled Tyndall AFB, it's going to cost at least $3 billion to fix that base. So the USAF has pulled "maintenance money" from this and other projects to get started on fixing Tyndall.

It is a pretty cool building. Sunday church service was mandatory when I got the the Academy in 1972 until the Supreme Court put a stop to that. A lot of cadets still went there for church services, and a lot of us got married there. It seems like fixing water leaks and corrosion would be important. (A stitch in time saves nine.) Goodness knows the USAF has more infrastructure than they need given the number of airplanes and personnel these days, but having three USAF bases in the Florida panhandle (Hurlburt, Eglin, and Tyndall) must be a priority to someone.

But gosh, for less than the cost of a single F-35, they could fix the poor place up.

https://gazette.com/military/air-force-academy-chapel-renovation-canceled-in-favor-of-hurricane/article_e1305930-50b0-11e9-a09a-d71c11922eb4.html

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: USAF Academy Chapel [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't you talk to god anywhere? Seems like a big tent would do.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: USAF Academy Chapel [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
USAF and tents? Do you think we're like a bunch of Army grunts?

It is (was?) a pretty neat building. (Corrosion and water leakage won't be good for any structure.). A lot of tourists visit, not that they're there for a religious experience. (Sort of like tourists going to Notre Dame, St. Paul's Cathedral, or the Sistine Chapel).

I was always impressed when I walked into the "upstairs" protestant chapel (the pagan catholics were relegated to the "lower level" along with Hebrews and other religions) with how sunlight coming through the stained glass windows gave everything a purple haze appearance.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: USAF Academy Chapel [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure God won't mind the delay in upgrade. The chapel is the most impressive house of the lord on any base, fort or naval station that I have ever visited. So impressive is it that the time worn comment about USAF bases and the first budgeting and planning priority being the O' club and golf course does not apply to the USAFA. I visited the campus in the 2017 summer for a first time. I Have always considered my chapels as where I found most peace with nature. The La Jolla Cove was always my favorite Sunday morning service as we dipped our toes in for the swim out to the 1/2 mile buoy. High on my list was my bike ride around the loop on the USAFA campus. A close second that day was a round of golf on the Eisenhower course. The front range on a clear summer's day is almost heaven and the USAFA is one impressive property.
Quote Reply
Re: USAF Academy Chapel [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

As long as you have the collection plate, you are good to go ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: USAF Academy Chapel [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
I hear you. I was at Navy but I'll say this: when you're at a service academy, especially that first year, you're getting stress piled on you day after day.

Being able to attend chapel services is one small sanctuary for those guys, even the non-religious ones. I can't emphasize how valuable the chaplains are in the services. If not for them, the graduation rate would be lower, I promise you that. So it makes me sad to see this kind of renovation being put off.

If it gets bad enough I guess academy grads / donors will probably come to the rescue but I hope it doesn't get that bad.

It was also the only air conditioned place for middies, no?
Quote Reply