Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Cassius Winston is the dude. Duke's team seems more like a pipeline to the NBA than a college program. Super exciting game for sure. Michigan vs Auburn in the final I think.

Actually, the "one and done" is designed specifically to be a pipeline to the NBA. It's not even a secret, it's there right in the open. Kind of like the Avenatti dude trying to extort Nike, but the shady/illegal stuff they've been doing is right in the open all along, and everyone knows it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
len wrote:
Cassius Winston is the dude. Duke's team seems more like a pipeline to the NBA than a college program. Super exciting game for sure. Michigan vs Auburn in the final I think.

Actually, the "one and done" is designed specifically to be a pipeline to the NBA. It's not even a secret, it's there right in the open. Kind of like the Avenatti dude trying to extort Nike, but the shady/illegal stuff they've been doing is right in the open all along, and everyone knows it.

It was strippers & hookers that adidas sent that got Pitino in trouble

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky and Duke share the one and done style teams on center stage. I think both programs now attract the one and done blue chip players that can turn pro after 1 year out of HS. I don't like Duke, but admire Coach K as a coach and recruiter. Those two programs both live and die by the sword. It is hard to take a mostly 18 or 19 year old Freshman team and play teams where a bunch of the players are 19-21 years old and have 60 or more Division I games behind them. Even with less talent , 21 year old experienced players are different men than 18 year old Frosh. Back in the olden days when I was a kid, Freshman didn't even play varsity ball.

That is where the one and done program often falls short. They play the crap out of their best 6 or 7 players and if one gets injured they are bring in another blue chipper that has been riding the bench to replace him. It is complicated, but our college sports program is a mess with no simple one line solution.

I did see where the talking heads are already thinking Zion will pick up one of the biggest sneaker contracts before he ever touches an NBA basketball. Life ain't bad with the lad. I smell money.
Quote Reply
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [go so slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go so slow wrote:
Thom wrote:
Can we please stop talking about Zion Williamson now?

My kids played against Zion early in his HS career (before his games became an internet sensation) and we live 30 minutes from his HS so we made the effort to watch him play on multiple occasions. I'm willing to admit that probably gives me a bias towards him, but put me down as a Zion fan who has really enjoyed watching him play this year. He's not the best to ever play the game in college and maybe he won't be in the pros. But he is unique and he's incredibly entertaining. I think those things merit at least most of the coverage he's gotten.

Also, FWIW there are no local stories that contradict the image of a good kid who loves to play the game.

I love to hate on Duke as much as the next guy. Laettner is 49 years old and I still think he is a worthless punk.

But it is hard to hate on Williamson. He doesn't preen and pose any more than anyone else. He doesn't run his mouth. He is just big and strong and plays really really hard.

Don't get me wrong, it was still great to see MSU beat Duke.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why all the hate for Duke? I don't believe their athletics program ever retained a serial sex abuser for years and looked the other way. I am surprised a school that did such even has an athletics program at this time.
Quote Reply
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [tgrunnin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgrunnin wrote:
Why all the hate for Duke? I don't believe their athletics program ever retained a serial sex abuser for years and looked the other way. I am surprised a school that did such even has an athletics program at this time.

Excellent point, which is why I hate both programs equally. Izzo is a POS as well.

Tough guy on the sidelines with a true freshman, but when 2 of his sexually assault a fellow student - crickets.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgrunnin wrote:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/...ncaa-0329-story.html

Duke? Likeable? NAH

Quote Reply
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Don't get me wrong, it was still great to see MSU beat Duke.

I actually think this is one of Coach K's worst coaching years. These kids were so talented it's like he rolled the ball out there and let them figure it out. I think it's pretty cool that the teams left standing aren't blue bloods, but are teams with upper-classmen and coaches who coached.
Quote Reply
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

Hmmm not sure how that's going to happen as that team down south (little sister) lost to Texas tech.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
tgrunnin wrote:

Excellent point, which is why I hate both programs equally. Izzo is a POS as well.

Tough guy on the sidelines with a true freshman, but when 2 of his sexually assault a fellow student - crickets.

Let me guess, Michigan fan? The rumored sexual assault I'm guessing you are referring to was fully investigated and the prosecutor called a press conference to say that no crime had been committed. But feel free to throw unfounded accusations around if you have more first hand information than the prosecutor. What's your position on the Duke lacrosse scandal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgrunnin wrote:
Why all the hate for Duke?

Nixon went to Duke. Maybe it starts there?

That being said. Nixon would be a breath of fresh air right about now

Quote Reply
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
jepvb wrote:
tgrunnin wrote:

Let me guess, Michigan fan? The rumored sexual assault I'm guessing you are referring to was fully investigated and the prosecutor called a press conference to say that no crime had been committed. But feel free to throw unfounded accusations around if you have more first hand information than the prosecutor. What's your position on the Duke lacrosse scandal?

Michigan fan? Not even close, but nice try.

Honestly, I don't remember which sexual assault I was referring to - its hard to keep track.

http://www.espn.com/...rry-nassar-case-espn

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
tgrunnin wrote:

I'm guessing someone has already laughed at you and corrected you right...

That freshman, and the team and past players all said, yeah thats coach you don't go play for him if you don't expect to get yelled at when you dont run back on defense. It was a non-issue to any past or present MSU players and most all Basketball players and coaches...

The sexual assaults, hmmm do you mean criminally investigated and found to be true that would be the Duke Lacrosse team, MSU has had no such issues, despite the media circus.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
Thom wrote:
jepvb wrote:
tgrunnin wrote:

Honestly, I don't remember which sexual assault I was referring to - its hard to keep track.

That ESPN hack job has since been discredited.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
len wrote:

Hmmm not sure how that's going to happen as that team down south (little sister) lost to Texas tech.

My wife does this as well. Her school has each class connected to a team in the tournament. Her class's team is Michigan State. She keeps saying, "who does Michigan play." I keep correcting her. That little distinction drives me crazy.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
Thom wrote:

You referred to 2 Izzo players, there is only one public incident involving 2 Izzo players. It was investigated by the police, the DAs office and the title nine office and nothing came of it.

The Nassar situation is horrific and in hindsight I wish the university would have handled it better. Espn has desperately tried to tie that to the football and basketball program. That article you posted is more than a year old. Since then the University, the local DA, the NCAA, an independent law firm, the local police and the states attorney general's office have done investigations and turned up nothing. The 2 basketball players were cleared. The 4 football players were immediately dismissed from the team and the university and ended up being convicted of misdemeanor charges. Zero follow-up on those issues from ESPN. Let me try again, Purdue fan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgrunnin wrote:

Because that is what makes sports fun.

http://lmgtfy.com/...t+hated+duke+players

Laettner
Hurley
Allen
Did I mention Laettner? Man I have a lot of lingering hate for that guy, I bet his mom doesn't even like him.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
len wrote:

I will never say michigan when I mean michigan state again.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Why kind of deal with the Devil has Duke made??? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
jepvb wrote:
Thom wrote:

You referred to 2 Izzo players, there is only one public incident involving 2 Izzo players. It was investigated by the police, the DAs office and the title nine office and nothing came of it.

The Nassar situation is horrific and in hindsight I wish the university would have handled it better. Espn has desperately tried to tie that to the football and basketball program. That article you posted is more than a year old. Since then the University, the local DA, the NCAA, an independent law firm, the local police and the states attorney general's office have done investigations and turned up nothing. The 2 basketball players were cleared. The 4 football players were immediately dismissed from the team and the university and ended up being convicted of misdemeanor charges. Zero follow-up on those issues from ESPN. Let me try again, Purdue fan?

Man you Sparty fans are sensitive - a simple message board attack on Izzo and you guys pounce. Like the previous poster said, it's a wonder MSU is even playing D1 sports at this time. Any self-respecting institution would've taken the high road. You are just like UNC, except at least UNC's failures didn't involve sexual assault.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am somewhat sensitive to calling innocent young men rapists.
Quote Reply

Prev Next