Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Obama DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson: 'We Are Truly in a Crisis at the Border'
Quote | Reply
Jeh Johnson, Barack Obama's former homeland security head, speaking on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" says "I cannot begin to imagine what 4,000 [apprehensions at the southern border] a day looks like..."

He goes on to note:

“When I was in office at Kirstjen Nielsen’s job, at her desk, I’d get to work around 6:30 in the morning and there’d be my intelligence book, sitting on my desk,” Johnson said. He continued, “The PDB and also the apprehension numbers from the day before. And I’d look at them every morning…and my staff will tell you if it was under 1,000 apprehensions the day before that was a relatively good number. And if it was above 1,000 that was a relatively bad number and I was going to be in a bad mood the whole day.

On Tuesday there were 4,000 apprehensions. I know that a thousand overwhelms the system. I cannot begin to imagine what 4,000 a day looks like, so we are truly in a crisis.”

With even Jeh Johnson saying that what we're seeing down at the southern border -- where a seeming sea of people from various Central American countries are demanding entrance into the United States -- is a genuine crisis, it seems clear that protestations to the contrary by various folks on the left side of the aisle are going to ring hollow and/or fall flat.

Of course, Johnson won't go all the way, to the full Monty reveal, because he disagrees with the current Preezy of the United Steezy's contention that a wall would solve the problem (newsflash: I don't think it would completely solve the problem, either... but it's a start). Still, he's shown he's willing to break out of all those left-wing talking points that base their arguments on Emma Lazarus and "The New Colossus," for the most part. So good on him.

Johnson's long-term solution (more investment in Central American economies) may actually have some promise. But that's for the long-term, and it does nothing to help the Border Patrol address the issue of 4,000 or more people arriving at the southern border every day.

If let in, they'd add nearly 1.5 million folks to the country's rolls in a single year. I'm not seeing how legions of low-skilled, poor-English-speaking people who may or may not want to come to the United States for genuine and sincere reasons, other than to get a low-paying job (depriving many Americans of the opportunity to get those jobs, as well) and almost immediately begin repatriating U.S. dollars back to their own countries. Where's the desire to assimilate or participate in any of the other cultural anchors that used to turn immigrants into Americans, and if not them then their children born here? Not seeing that, either.

Okay. Rant over. Time to go lay by my dish. Heh-heh.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Obama DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson: 'We Are Truly in a Crisis at the Border' [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But but who is going to pick our lettuce!
Quote Reply
Re: Obama DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson: 'We Are Truly in a Crisis at the Border' [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:

Dan!

LOL! Just kidding. No idea. But the situation down there, as it currently stands, seems unacceptable.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Obama DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson: 'We Are Truly in a Crisis at the Border' [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:

but you'll eat lettuce nevertheless. today, probably. and they'll have picked it. same with every other vegetable, orchard fruit, milk, beef, pork, chicken.

the cycle: we eff up a central american country. they flee here. they feed us. sort of has a nice symmetry to it.

the joke's on us all, brother. only thing missing: duffy denying he eats food passed thru illegal hands.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Obama DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson: 'We Are Truly in a Crisis at the Border' [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
getcereal wrote:

but you'll eat lettuce nevertheless. today, probably. and they'll have picked it. same with every other vegetable, orchard fruit, milk, beef, pork, chicken.

the cycle: we eff up a central american country. they flee here. they feed us. sort of has a nice symmetry to it.

the joke's on us all, brother. only thing missing: duffy denying he eats food passed thru illegal hands.

The real problem is the Orangeman-in-chief has MAGAed the crap out of the US of A. Now everyone wants in.

Be careful what you wish for ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Obama DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson: 'We Are Truly in a Crisis at the Border' [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meanwhile two highly skilled, young, married Indian people I've worked with in the past two years have been deported because their visa expired and their # in the lottery didn't come up...one is back in India, hoping to move to Canada for a few years because it's supposedly easier to get back into the US through Canada (legally) and the other is stuck in a Dublin office - she hates Dublin, cold and wet and she doesn't even drink booze.

We're super strict with the legal, highly skilled immigrants to the point of forcing them out of the country in TWO WEEKS - imagine dealing with house, car, family, everything you have in this country in two weeks - and don't do fuck all about thousands and thousands crossing the border every single day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeh Johnson, Barack Obama's former homeland security head, speaking on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" says "I cannot begin to imagine what 4,000 [apprehensions at the southern border] a day looks like..."

So does this mean we can trust things said or done in the Obama administration now?
Quote Reply
Re: Obama DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson: 'We Are Truly in a Crisis at the Border' [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

So does this mean we can trust things said or done in the Obama administration now?
-
I'd venture a guess that most ex-admin people are more honest, or at least straight-forward, than when they were actively serving. Some of my favorite pundits are former admin people from left and right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
-
Someone willing to take less than whoever is picking it now. We definitely need to increase the below poverty numbers in this country so that the things you and I want get cheaper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Obama DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson: 'We Are Truly in a Crisis at the Border' [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Meanwhile two highly skilled, young, married Indian people I've worked with in the past two years have been deported because their visa expired and their # in the lottery didn't come up...one is back in India, hoping to move to Canada for a few years because it's supposedly easier to get back into the US through Canada (legally) and the other is stuck in a Dublin office - she hates Dublin, cold and wet and she doesn't even drink booze.

We're super strict with the legal, highly skilled immigrants to the point of forcing them out of the country in TWO WEEKS - imagine dealing with house, car, family, everything you have in this country in two weeks - and don't do fuck all about thousands and thousands crossing the border every single day.

As someone who has lived in a foreign country on a long term visa this seems strange. How did they not know their visa was expiring until less than two weeks out? If they were actually deported they must have been here illegally- so they overstayed? That’s not really cool when someone is allowing you special privileges to be there.

BTW there is a ton of fun stuff to do in Dublin other than drink. I loved it there and would have stayed-except I could not get the visa I needed to stay. I left before the one I had expired- because I’m not big into breaking laws and knew there would be consequences to staying. It was pretty clear what the terms of my visa were and what I needed to do to stay in compliance. Perhaps this made it easier - rather than being in the US where we are totally wishy washy about encoring our immigration laws I was somewhere I was certain it would be an issue if I overstayed.

But visa overstays remain a top path to illegal immigration so why would we be less stringent about that? It’s surprising your friends still hope to come here. Many countries would bar you from future entry after illegally over staying a visa.
Quote Reply
Re: Obama DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson: 'We Are Truly in a Crisis at the Border' [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
As someone who has lived in a foreign country on a long term visa this seems strange. How did they not know their visa was expiring until less than two weeks out? If they were actually deported they must have been here illegally- so they overstayed? That’s not really cool when someone is allowing you special privileges to be there.

BTW there is a ton of fun stuff to do in Dublin other than drink. I loved it there and would have stayed-except I could not get the visa I needed to stay. I left before the one I had expired- because I’m not big into breaking laws and knew there would be consequences to staying. It was pretty clear what the terms of my visa were and what I needed to do to stay in compliance. Perhaps this made it easier - rather than being in the US where we are totally wishy washy about encoring our immigration laws I was somewhere I was certain it would be an issue if I overstayed.

But visa overstays remain a top path to illegal immigration so why would we be less stringent about that? It’s surprising your friends still hope to come here. Many countries would bar you from future entry after illegally over staying a visa.
These are not visa overstays. These people are here on H1B visas and they have an expiration date. They enter a lottery to extend their visa and if they're rejected three times in a row then they no longer have active visas in this country and have to leave. One situation was somewhat unique in that his job title, using the official categories constructed by our massive multi-national bank was something like 'business analyst', which didn't match what he did as a software engineer and didn't match what his work visa was for, when he came up for extension they rejected it and he was out in two weeks, the company was notified on a Tuesday and had to confiscate his phone, laptop, shut down his email and take his badge on the spot. He had to be out of the country by the following Friday. The other is someone in my new company, she went through the multiple visa lottery renewals and her number didn't come up so she was out. She has no chance of getting in this year because my new company was just acquired by a huge bank and they haven't sorted out how to process lottery applications for all the visas in our company. Two other people just heard this week that their visas aren't being renewed, one is being relocated to Singapore and the other might wind up in Dublin.

I may be misconstruing some of this, these are just from conversations with them and the guy who was deported I only heard second hand, but I can promise you these aren't visa overstays. These are Indian software engineers who went to school here, got a job and had a visa for a period of time and there are fewer available slots than there are needs in the industry. Literally every single engineer I work with is either Indian or Asian, every single one, and the majority of them are fantastic at what they do. Until we can develop home-grown engineers there's a real need in tech for these workers, but there aren't enough visas to go around so you have people stuck in this insane system.
Quote Reply