Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Intern Woes - The Sequel
Quote | Reply
First of all, he's not my intern, so I can't fire him.

Secondly, everyone who said he should be fired was correct.

He has been tasked to integrate the data for a report that I have built. Despite his zero years of experience, he is convinced that the report that we have been asked to build is a bad idea and that it should be done a completely different way. After we had agreed with the customer to move forward and build the report that they asked for, the intern asked for a quick data clarification with the customer. During that meeting he pointed out some potential inaccuracies with the way its being presented and talked them into agreeing to do it differently (I was there for this). To be clear, they didn't agree to scrap the original report. They agreed to add an option to view it his way.

Today he showed me his way, and while it had value, it was an engineer's report, not a manager's report. IOW, lots of details and exact answers, but very difficult to see high level views.

After talking over this for an hour, I told him that we could add a tab with one of his drill down for detail views, but that I wanted the rest of the report to remain the same.

And then holy shit! He absolutely did not want to do what I asked and when I suggested that we have another meeting with the customer to clarify, he tried to talk me out of it because they "already agreed to his way." When I told him I was going to schedule to clarify, he actually told me that he thought I only wanted to meet with them so that I could convince them to do it my way.

Fuck, I almost lost my shit!

I'm going to go bang on some drums now. TGIF!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Last edited by: BarryP: Mar 29, 19 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: Intern Woes - The Sequel [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And to be clear, this has been probably 4-5 hours of total meeting time I've had with him over the last month, and not once has he ever just agreed to do what I asked. I don't mean like he hasn't agreed to do it the first time. I mean he still won't fucking do it.

Last edited by: BarryP: Mar 29, 19 11:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Hey INTERN, why don't you STFU and do what I tell you."

You're welcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF dude? Just tell him he's the fucking intern and what he's told to do. If he has a problem write him up. You're way too tolerant of this shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Intern Woes - The Sequel [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
WTF dude? Just tell him he's the fucking intern and what he's told to do. If he has a problem write him up. You're way too tolerant of this shit.

+1. How did you ever let it get this far?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Intern Woes - The Sequel [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

+1. How did you ever let it get this far?

Talk to his manager and say that the dipshit doesn't take direction very well. And put it in writing. Interns are there to take direction and hopefully learn a thing or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I'm with Barry on this. Funny how people with no experience think they should be VPs or know everything. How these same people will give over the top belief they are doing an awesome job in their 365 feedback forms despite being the worst employees. I'm just curious how it got this far.
Quote Reply
Re: Intern Woes - The Sequel [Ozymandias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Sorry, I'm with Barry on this. "

My suggestion, remember that Spntrxi sent you to this thread for some real juicy details on just how nuts I am, and this is what you got.

Keep that in mind the next time he tells you something.

; )

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"Sorry, I'm with Barry on this. "

My suggestion, remember that Spntrxi sent you to this thread for some real juicy details on just how nuts I am, and this is what you got.

Keep that in mind the next time he tells you something.

; )

I'm mostly just razzing you Barry... remember how fondly I spoke of the 2 grads we got from your school
Last edited by: spntrxi: Apr 18, 19 10:07
Quote Reply
Re: Intern Woes - The Sequel [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think in the last 3 years, people have lost their fucking minds. In all areas. Interestingly, I've toned down and become more rational. Must be age finally kicking in, or fatigue with all the craziness.

I find I fight more with people I agreed with 5 years ago than I do with leftist these days. Then again, a lot of my leftist friends unfriended me or work with me or go to temple with me. I don't talk politics at work or temple.
Quote Reply