Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "I know a lot about wind" [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It blows.

I once majored in Atmospheric Science. That's all I remember.
Quote Reply
Re: "I know a lot about wind" [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.cbc.ca/...ents-audio-1.5076563

It seems like it could even get worse for the PM.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: "I know a lot about wind" [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair question. Currently, the materials used to make turbine blades are not particularly amenable to refurbishing for reuse as turbine blades although apparently, they can be re-used by facilities that are just getting up and running. The 2nd article below is the one I had in mind when I made that post - after re-reading it, it's not quite as grim as I thought I remembered, although some of the material recovery/recycling processes (pyrolysis) are quite energy intensive. The first article has some pretty interesting stuff about wind power as well.

https://cen.acs.org/...e-blades-toward.html

https://cen.acs.org/...ng-renewables/96/i15

Oh, and my handle refers to my preference for bicycle frame material - love me some Ti.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: "I know a lot about wind" [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
sphere wrote:
Two replies and zero responses to the content.

Several problems with this quote (going back to the populist demagoguery thread).

Maybe Pres Trump actually thinks that's how wind power works, which makes him woefully uninformed to a point where he hasn't been properly prepared to make decisions about energy policy.

Maybe Pres Trump understands how wind power works, but he's saying stuff like this out of a cynical and condescending effort to appeal to the lowest common denominator because he thinks large portions of his base either don't know better or don't care. One of the dangers of this option is that there are, for better or worse, lots of people who will hear that kind of statement from the President of the United States, assume he knows what he's talking about, and then go forward thinking that's how wind power works. It's one thing if random crackpot on the internet devotes his blog to why wind power only allows your ham radio to work while it's windy out. It would be irresponsible for the President of the United States to knowingly spread that kind of faulty information. The "I know a lot about wind" line is just comical when contrasted against the rest of the quote.

A little slow on uptake or maybe my bulb is dimming. Your use of "quote" in your first and last sentence, are they in reference to thread title or is it to sphere's comment?

You two postulated "maybes" that I consider all encompassing. I am hard pressed to come up with another, but then I am an unabashed TDS'er. Both are non complimentary and equally plausible. Both are equally acceptable for us Derangement Syndromers. The latter fits the postulation of a no- good, populist demagogue politician in full display. This is the more worrisome "maybe." The man is more sly than he is dumb, I am going with the latter.
Quote Reply
Re: "I know a lot about wind" [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
sphere wrote:
Two replies and zero responses to the content. The internet has enough gifs to keep you going at this pace indefinitely. Don't forget to hydrate.

To be fair the OP is hackneyed TDS.

It's not really a syndrome when fully warrented - everything he says is moronic or straight out his ass.
Quote Reply
Re: "I know a lot about wind" [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
Fair question. Currently, the materials used to make turbine blades are not particularly amenable to refurbishing for reuse as turbine blades although apparently, they can be re-used by facilities that are just getting up and running. The 2nd article below is the one I had in mind when I made that post - after re-reading it, it's not quite as grim as I thought I remembered, although some of the material recovery/recycling processes (pyrolysis) are quite energy intensive. The first article has some pretty interesting stuff about wind power as well.

https://cen.acs.org/...e-blades-toward.html

https://cen.acs.org/...ng-renewables/96/i15

Oh, and my handle refers to my preference for bicycle frame material - love me some Ti.

Thanks for the referenced response. Too bad Ti is not a candidate for blading wind turbines as we might then have blades for life.
Quote Reply
Re: "I know a lot about wind" [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
orphious wrote:
BarryP wrote:
"When said person starts a new thread every other day yes. I know Trump is a buffoon and I take what he says with a grain of salt. Alot of posters here would be far better off doing the same. "

Are suggesting that they should be spending more of their time posting memes mocking a freshman congressman from the bronx?

How do you reconcile your position on this thread with your behavior on the AOC thread?

Am I posting everyday in that thread? Am I starting a new thread about AOC every other day?

no kidding... dinglebarry bumps the AOC thread to keep it near the top

Guess Ill head back in that thread and post up a meme since he is so offended by it.
Quote Reply
Re: "I know a lot about wind" [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Am I posting everyday in that thread? Am I starting a new thread about AOC every other day? "

No. But Kay isn't doing that with Trump, either.

And, you know, the bigger differences are:

Trump is the President, not a distraction from the bronx

What he says is actually egregious.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: "I know a lot about wind" [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't decide whether it's more sad that the president is a babbling moron or that there's a good percentage of my fellow countrymen who are willing to accept this kind of nonsensical bullshit as gospel on a regular basis.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: "I know a lot about wind" [VagueRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VagueRunner wrote:
At the risk of starting something, how do you think wind power works?

Last time I checked, if you were using wind to generate electricity and the wind wasn’t blowing, you won’t be generating electricity.

That's not what Pres Trump said.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't decide whether it's more sad that the president is a babbling moron or that there's a good percentage of my fellow countrymen who are willing to accept this kind of nonsensical bullshit as gospel on a regular basis.

I think it's the latter. How so many are fooled by Trump is a question that will be analyzed for decades.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
The bigger issue with wind is the finite service lifetime of the hardware, particularly the turbine blades. They're yuge, and there's currently no good way to deal with them after they're replaced and taken out of service.

Maybe they can figure out how to use them in the border wall. You know, stack them up or something.
Last edited by: zed707: Mar 29, 19 20:40
Quote Reply
Re: "I know a lot about wind" [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"They say the noise causes cancer. Rrrrrerrrarrrr"

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next