Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gene mutation that makes your life virtually pain & anxiety free & you heal more quickly
Quote | Reply
A 71-year-old woman who has lived virtually pain and anxiety free was the subject of a study just published in the British Journal of Anesthesia. There is a story on her in the NYT today.

From the NYT article: "Researchers attributed (her) virtually pain-free life to a mutation in a previously unidentified gene. The hope, they say, is that the finding could eventually contribute to the development of a novel pain treatment. They believe this mutation may also be connected to why (she) has felt little anxiety or fear throughout her life and why her body heals quickly."

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this gene mutation would affect athletic performance, particularly endurance events.

Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Mar 28, 19 19:53
Quote Reply
Re: A gene mutation that would make your life virtually pain and anxiety free [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this gene mutation would affect athletic performance, particularly endurance events.

Not a lot - I still get beaten by the F70-74 in most races. My target is to maintain my current pace for another 30 years and get a sex change. Then Kona - here I come.
Quote Reply
Re: Gene mutation that makes your life virtually pain & anxiety free & you heal more quickly [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely interesting. Connecting to the central governor idea, right? Would people push themselves past the mental barrier to the point where their bodies give out? Faster times and more injuries?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Gene mutation that makes your life virtually pain & anxiety free & you heal more quickly [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
A 71-year-old woman who has lived virtually pain and anxiety free was the subject of a study just published in the British Journal of Anesthesia. There is a story on her in the NYT today.

From the NYT article: "Researchers attributed (her) virtually pain-free life to a mutation in a previously unidentified gene. The hope, they say, is that the finding could eventually contribute to the development of a novel pain treatment. They believe this mutation may also be connected to why (she) has felt little anxiety or fear throughout her life and why her body heals quickly."

There was a woman, I think in Colorado, who became a pretty great ultrarunner with the same condition.

However, if you don't notice a small break which grows into something worse, you'll be much worse off. Additionally, sore legs means they need rest/recovery. Losing that would be detrimental. I'm guessing that woman is the exception and not the rule. Such a condition sounds like a nightmare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...the woman was lucky to have made it this far. Being able to feel pain is evolutionary conserved for a good reason. Athletes who can block out their pain for a while might be more successful than others, but having a mutation that numbs pain in general is not a treat that will be selected amongst athletes, IMO.
Uli
Quote Reply
Re: Gene mutation that makes your life virtually pain & anxiety free & you heal more quickly [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Definitely interesting. Connecting to the central governor idea, right? Would people push themselves past the mental barrier to the point where their bodies give out? Faster times and more injuries?

This. Basically what you said ;-).

Quote Reply
Re: Gene mutation that makes your life virtually pain & anxiety free & you heal more quickly [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:

There was a woman, I think in Colorado, who became a pretty great ultrarunner with the same condition.

However, if you don't notice a small break which grows into something worse, you'll be much worse off. Additionally, sore legs means they need rest/recovery. Losing that would be detrimental. I'm guessing that woman is the exception and not the rule. Such a condition sounds like a nightmare.
I read that the other day. If I remember correctly the woman concerned is one of only 2 people ever identified with this specific condition. It seems unlikely the woman in Colorado was the other. Perhaps some similar symptoms but different details/mechanisms.

Apparently she only came to be studied when she was getting surgery and told them she wouldn't need painkillers afterwards. They couldn't believe she didn't need pain relief and referred her for investigation. She hadn't really thought much of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have normal anxiety levels, but little pain you may be able to become cautious enough to avoid getting injured or pushing too hard in races, so the lack of pain could possibly be a benefit in racing and high intensity training sessions. If you have normal pain levels, but little anxiety that might help you avoid overtraining/injury or "choking" in races, but how much of racing success is tied to anxiety, i.e. fear of losing, of not being seen as worthy? Are there really "happy warriors" who aren't anxious when competing?

Multiple athletes that I know or have read about seem to have developed the enhanced ability to push through pain because of life experiences that undoubtedly caused them to feel a lot of anxiety or they have so much anxiety about not meeting expectations that they can endure more pain than most.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Mar 29, 19 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: Gene mutation that makes your life virtually pain & anxiety free & you heal more quickly [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
dfroelich wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:

I read that the other day. If I remember correctly the woman concerned is one of only 2 people ever identified with this specific condition. It seems unlikely the woman in Colorado was the other. Perhaps some similar symptoms but different details/mechanisms.

Apparently she only came to be studied when she was getting surgery and told them she wouldn't need painkillers afterwards. They couldn't believe she didn't need pain relief and referred her for investigation. She hadn't really thought much of it.

Found her: https://www.runnersworld.com/...fixing-dianes-brain/
She was epileptic and had surgery to remove the funky bit of her brain. Certainly a different mechanism than a little SNP!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add this gene mutation to the one that Dean Karnazes has that prevents forming lactic acid so he can run basically forever. Add one from that German girl who has 20/2 vision, can see and identify a person from a mile away and see the color pixels on a TV set. You're on your way to the Six Million Dollar Man (or $35,500,000 Person today) Gonna need a new division at Ironman races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm.... I knew a rower - really only met him a handful of times but I would say we were acquaintances and actually he was my inspiration to get into the sport. He was short even for a lightweight (5'8" maybe?) and did not have the physical characteristics one normally associates with an elite rower. The US National Team coach told him he could make the Olympic team if he hit a 2k erg (Concept 2 rowing machine) time of I think it was 6:09, and just assumed that would never happen and ceased thinking about it. Low and behold, at the speed order or selection camp or wherever, he showed up and pulled under that time and went on to get a bronze in the lightweight 4 in the Olympics. Everyone used to say ridiculous things about him like his body does not produce lactic acid, therefore he feels no pain and could do inhuman things in the boat and on the erg. The national team doctor even singled him out once in a talk to the team about how his VO2 Max was not that great yet he was able to pull amazing times anyway so people should find inspiration in that and not stress out about the physiological testing.

A few years ago a mutual friend told me a story about how after retirement from rowing this guy had been working on his house and fell off the roof or something. His arm swole up like a basketball and turned purple and green yet he seemed not to notice and insisted he was fine and continued to work on the house until his family and friends basically held an intervention and made him go to the doctor where it was determined it was broken clean-through.

I wonder if he has this mutation?

Edit - I just noticed the post above about a gene that prevents lactic acid production, maybe those rumors about him back in the day weren't so absurd?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Mar 29, 19 20:05
Quote Reply
Re: Gene mutation that makes your life virtually pain & anxiety free & you heal more quickly [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Edit - I just noticed the post above about a gene that prevents lactic acid production, maybe those rumors about him back in the day weren't so absurd?

Lack of lactate production would be fine for Karnazes, but a large part of rowing is anaerobic, so not being able to make energy from lactate would be a huge detriment.
Quote Reply