Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

AERO - Speedsuit / Race Ki
Quote | Reply
What are the top couple of options available for age groupers looking to gain a few watts on the bike of an ironman?

Would curious to see your thoughts on TOP aero suit as well as best BANG FOR YOUR BUCK option.

Thanks!
Last edited by: thunderdouble: Mar 28, 19 20:27
Quote Reply
Re: AERO - Best available speedsuit ( [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever long (and by that, I mean to elbow, not to your wrist) version fits you the best without wrinkles and will make you comfortably sit in aero position for a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be inclined to look at BioRacer or NoPInz, maybe HUUB too.
Quote Reply
Re: AERO - Best available speedsuit ( [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any models you would start with?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: AERO - Best available speedsuit ( [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are asking if there are any suits that have generally tested well in the wind tunnel for a wide variety of people, I don’t know. there are other on here who might and have replied to similar threads and might reply here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it depends
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velotec is consistently testing faster than any other suit at most of the test facilities around the world (at least those who don't have there own suits to sell...funny how that happens). Then again, it'a highly individual. If you're looking for best bang for buck, it's an easy recommendation.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: AERO - Best available speedsuit ( [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a specific rec?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
at least those who don't have there own suits to sell...funny how that happens

Um, meaning Aerocoach/NoPinz?
Quote Reply
Re: AERO - Best available speedsuit ( [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you start? Anyone suggest a few to order and test fit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Velotec is consistently testing faster than any other suit at most of the test facilities around the world (at least those who don't have there own suits to sell...funny how that happens). Then again, it'a highly individual. If you're looking for best bang for buck, it's an easy recommendation.

I'd never heard of velotec before now. It's so cheap! Is it the LD suit or elite suit tht that's well?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: AERO - Best available speedsuit ( [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the long sleeve Aero Skinsuit. Not sure if the tri suit has really been tested.

I'd look at the New HUUB suit and Cuore of Switzerland suits, if you need something tri specific.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Is there a reason you believe the Velotec is testing faster? Ie. is there a feature or design element that makes it so? Also, have you tested anyone with a NEW tight fitting race suit that is a rear zip sleeveless with the lanyard tucked in? Has anyone tested suits initially that were fast but then after a few uses they slowed down considerably?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

I bought a few of the velotec kits the one problem they have is they are soooo freaking ugly my wife wouldn't let me wear it. Really big neck and see through material....

look at the top it is all see through and if you go one their instagram you will notice no shots of the kit except side shots kinda hiding the ugliness.
Quote Reply
Re: AERO - Best available speedsuit ( [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: AERO - Best available speedsuit ( [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered direct i had it in a week maybe a week and a half. might have a med extra if you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested if you still got it. They sais it would be 3 weeks till they are back in stock.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

I bought a few of the velotec kits the one problem they have is they are soooo freaking ugly my wife wouldn't let me wear it. Really big neck and see through material....

look at the top it is all see through and if you go one their instagram you will notice no shots of the kit except side shots kinda hiding the ugliness.

Based on the feedback here, I just bought one of the black UCI legal skinsuits. I'm not having the same experience as you. I can't see your picture, but mine is not see through and I am pretty pale. As for the neck hole, It's not larger than any other suits I've had and if you look at most skinsuits the neck tends to stretch out when standing because they are designed to be in the proper position when in the TT position.

At face value, it seems to be well worth the $100 (slightly more with conversion), but everyone's experience is individual, so your mileage may vary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Velotec's Pro Aero Skinsuit and it's a great piece of kit. I hate a neck that stretches out like the suit in your pic. The Pro Aero Skinsuit neck does not stretch out like that. It actually fits without much skin showing around the neck at all. Also, the skinsuit is not see through on me. These suits are very common at the time trials I've competed in and they look great (not see through and with a normal fitting neck).

I think Jim@ERO is referring to this skisuit's performance. The results are reported in a Cycling Weekly article

I cannot speak for Velotec's trisuit though, which I believe is what you are wearing.

When it comes to trisuits, IMHO, the Louis Garneau Lgneer is the best available. The Kiwami, Roka and Huub suits also look like great options.
Quote Reply
Re: AERO - Speedsuit / Race Ki [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference between well fitting skin suits can’t br more than a minute over an IM. I doubt if it’s even 30s. If that kind of time matters to you, then by all means do your research. Otaherwise pick one that fits well and you are comfortable in.

I have had the Fusion skin suit in the past along with the Desoto Riviera and Castelli All out. Between those, I would go Castelli>Desoto in a close race. Fusion is good but it’s hard to get into and out of it and pee because of how high the zipper is. I would recommend it for a HIM but not IM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thunderdouble wrote:
What are the top couple of options available for age groupers looking to gain a few watts on the bike of an ironman?

Would curious to see your thoughts on TOP aero suit as well as best BANG FOR YOUR BUCK option.

Thanks!

Since you said for an Ironman a few watts are great assuming you can still run. A suit needs to be fast on the bike (no brainer) but if its uncomfortable, hot, restrictive, on the run it can will slow you down. What's the point of a few watts, assuming you are not going to fully change your gear in T2, if you can't run in it.? If you fully change the watts savings can be eaten up in transition.

Fast bike splits are a very good thing but.....................the marathon is where Ironman dreams go to die.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about "Bang for buck" but been very happy with the Kiwami Spider 2. I have not tested it but I biked super low watts with a good MPH avg. It has some features that some other suits don't have that I think are very nice. If your racing long course storage and cooling I think come into play and need to be talked about.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone use a velotec? How is the sizing compared to other suits?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim,

I have always enjoyed/appreciated your insight and have a question. I recently got the new Specialized Tri suit. It is VERY comfortable and the fit from the chest down is perfect. I got the small/tall and I am 6ft2 and 150lbs.

The sleeves are not tight enough and scrunch up a bit creating some wrinkles on the arms and shoulders.

I do know a good seamstress. Do you think attempting to get those sleeves taken in is worthwhile? If they stayed down I think the shoulders would be wrinkle free.

Thanks Jim
Quote Reply