Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying a vehicle from cold climates - rust question
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a new truck (well, slightly used). Prices are far better out if province, particularly in Alberta. Even with the cost of shipping I would be saving thousands.

I live on the coast and rust isn't really an issue here. I hear vehicles in colder climates can get rust issues pretty quickly due to road salt/brine. Is it worth it for the savings? Will I be driving a rust bucket in a few years?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a vehicle from cold climates - rust question [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I keep our vehicles an average of 8-10 years and are in PA which uses a shitload of salt/brine during winters, but we've never had rust issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a vehicle from cold climates - rust question [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually experienced more rust issues when I lived in the lower mainland than Alberta. Southern Alberta is pretty dry (very low humindity) most of the year.

Edmonton started using brine a couple of years ago, but Calgary doesnt use much salt (they actually use some sort if beet juice if I recall). A lot of sand/gravel is mostly used resulting in cracked windshieldsnd chipped paint, but not much salt. Salt doesn't work well below -10.

My 2006 wrx is driven year round and other than some surface rust at the rear wheelwells, it's pretty solid, even underneath.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how it is there, but I live in Michigan. It gets stupid cold here and they ice the roads. I've never had rust issues on vehicles save for some light undercarriage surface oxidation that doesn't effect the frame or anything important. It's even better these days with better materials, just don't see the old rust buckets of the past driving around. I don't worry about it in the least but do try to keep my car washed somewhat regularly throughout the winter after we've had snowfall and salt spray.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Car rust, oxidation of the iron in the steel, is typically a function of:

1. the steel quality (hopefully the Truck is not a Lada)
2. coating on the steel (generally good on most manufacturers)
3. Humidity / wetness
4. Temperature - the warmer it is the faster it rusts.
5. Salt (something that catalyzes the oxidation)

Alberta may use more salt, but is also dryer than BC. If the truck was driven on gravel has loads of chips then the coating is compromised and it will rust faster.

If rust is a concern - get one from Flagstaff, NM. The cold, dry air, little salt should slow the rust.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think all major manufacturers are way past the days of lancias where you could put your foot through the floor

I'd think late model would be fine, can you arrange a vehicle inspection?

I had a 2010 wrx parked outside in London for seven years, in a damp wet climate and my biggest issue was brake corrosion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in Quebec, rust was an issue for a long time. Many OEs actually do corrosion testing in Quebec or the Maritimes, Quebec uses more road salt than anywhere. That said, modern galvanization and rustproofing has come a long way since the Civics from the 90s...

That said, F150s from 2016 and up are aluminium bodies...
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a vehicle from cold climates - rust question [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I don't know how it is there, but I live in Michigan. It gets stupid cold here and they ice the roads. I've never had rust issues on vehicles save for some light undercarriage surface oxidation that doesn't effect the frame or anything important. It's even better these days with better materials, just don't see the old rust buckets of the past driving around. I don't worry about it in the least but do try to keep my car washed somewhat regularly throughout the winter after we've had snowfall and salt spray.

That's just mean. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a vehicle from cold climates - rust question [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh, shit. Me dumb. They salt the icy roads, but sometimes I think the plow trucks add more ice first.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a vehicle from cold climates - rust question [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:
Here in Quebec, rust was an issue for a long time. Many OEs actually do corrosion testing in Quebec or the Maritimes, Quebec uses more road salt than anywhere. That said, modern galvanization and rustproofing has come a long way since the Civics from the 90s...

That said, F150s from 2016 and up are aluminium bodies...

Looking at Titan XD's. 7000-something pounds of steel, baby!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I'm looking for a new truck (well, slightly used). Prices are far better out if province, particularly in Alberta. Even with the cost of shipping I would be saving thousands.

I live on the coast and rust isn't really an issue here. I hear vehicles in colder climates can get rust issues pretty quickly due to road salt/brine. Is it worth it for the savings? Will I be driving a rust bucket in a few years?

BWaaa welcome to the North... Salt water is far worst.. coast bad for rust.. far north to cold for salt, use sand, You will be fine.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Calgary here. Yes, they switched away from using salt to using beet juice of some sort, in addition to gravel. As has been mentioned, the factory surface treatment on most vehicles now is great, and more so if it's been competently undercoated. The only major issue you will have is if the car/truck has been in an accident, and the body repair has (inevitably) compromised the factory's metal prep and corrosion protection.

Since you will have to go through an out-of-province inspection, make sure that they check the vehicle for outstanding recall campaigns. You say you're looking at a Titan. If you somehow end up with an early Tundra, then check that it's had the frame corrosion inspection and if necessary, any repairs required. You don't want to pay to ship it to where you are and THEN find out it needs major work (which Toyota would do, but it's a hassle you should not have to deal with at this point).

Less is more.
Quote Reply