Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bonus in paycheck....return it?
Quote | Reply
My manager told me he wanted to give me a one time bonus since his manager gave him one (even though we both make the max to receive a bonus). Basically, they have pay ranges for certain position and if your over 3% of the max you don't get a bonus or pay raise. Both of us have been like this for 5 years and haven't received a merit raise or bonus. But his manager said she would "make it happen". However, he submitted it and HR nixed it. I was told I wasn't getting a bonus.

I checked my paycheck today and its there after they told me I wasn't getting it. I mentioned it to my manager and now he is going to talk to his manager. He didn't get his yet. I'm wondering if I should have kept my mouth shut! I'm taking they will want me to return it?
Quote Reply
Re: Bonus in paycheck....return it? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have kept quiet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You definitely did the right thing by telling your manager. After being told you weren't getting a bonus, it would be shady to not report it. Hopefully they'll reward your honesty and let you keep it. Or maybe it was correct all along, and you just weren't properly notified. Either way you did the right thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Bonus in paycheck....return it? [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that happened fast. They are letting me keep it! His manager went to HR and said he needs keep it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have said "thank you for reconsidering and giving me that bonus! I will finally be able to afford braces for my dear little Sally!"

If they take it back, they really look like assholes.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Bonus in paycheck....return it? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I would have said "thank you for reconsidering and giving me that bonus! I will finally be able to afford braces for my dear little Sally!"

Have you seen Sally's teeth? It better be a big ass bonus.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Bonus in paycheck....return it? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Have you seen Sally's teeth? It better be a big ass bonus.

For sure. For an eight year old, she sure is ugly!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you did the right thing. You just showed your company that you're concerned about doing the right thing. One alternative would have been to check with your manager and tell him that you received the bonus and wanted to make sure that they received theirs too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You absolutely did the right thing. This situation once happened to me for a new hire bonus from a referral I made, except the person didn't stay long enough for me to qualify for the bonus. I told my manager, he said "would you like to keep it," to which I replied "Yeah, but I don't feel right just keeping it so I need to do the right thing since I didn't really qualify for this." He said he'd "talk to his manager" but I'm pretty sure he never talked to anyone and I just kept it with a clear conscience having done my part in notifying him.
Quote Reply