Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tour of Catalunya, not a fan of Quintana/Movistar *SPOILER*
Quote | Reply
Just finish watching today's stage 3. What the heck was Quintana thinking by not working with Bernal, which letting Yates and eventually Martin back into the race? In the last a few years, Quintana has not been racing with any kind of aggression, and seems to be content to be sucking wheels uphill a lot of times. Not sure if he just doesn't have it anymore or some sort of team tactic. If it's the latter, then Movistar sucked at that: Lopez clearly didn't have it and he couldn't possible be of help to Quintana even when he bridged up. I am not big fan of Sky, but I like this Bernal kid.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Catalunya, not a fan of Quintana/Movistar *SPOILER* [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years ago, Quintana seemed to lose his turbo. He became timid and reactive; very unfortunate. When he is on form he climbs as good as anyone, but unless he is already far behind in the GC he no longer seems willing to take digs at his opponents. All year he has looked like he is just hanging by a thread with the killer younger Colombians (and other GC skeletons) on all of the big climbs.

I don't think he is holding back form though. I think he has been surpassed by a scary good new crop of young countrymen who can not only climb, but some of who can TT (which Nairo still struggles with). Dani Martinez and especially Egan Bernal have surpassed him. Sosa may have also, but at the World Tour level he has yet to be turned loose on his own accord. Others clearly beyond him are the Yates brothers; Tom D; Froome; Martin; Nibali; Thomas; Gesink? Fuglsang? Lopez? Uran? I could go on and on.

Its not that I'm not a fan, but I think his time has gone. He seems like a good man and seemingly clean as well so I wish him well. When he is on it is golden. I just don't see a win in the cards for him.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Catalunya, not a fan of Quintana/Movistar *SPOILER* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he's plenty aggressive, even at Paris-Nice. He just can't drop the best climbers at will like we tend to expect. But over the last few years he's one of a very short list of people who directly attacked Froome in Grand Tours. Not a ton of success there, but he has pushed his chips to the middle rather than just racing for 2nd.

I think he wasn't working today simply because he was at his limit and afraid of leaving himself exposed to a counter by Bernal.

Also Movistar did the bulk of the work today in controlling the break despite Lotto being the team of the GC leader.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Catalunya, not a fan of Quintana/Movistar *SPOILER* [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go watch Paris-Nice replay and then report back.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Catalunya, not a fan of Quintana/Movistar *SPOILER* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched that race... it was far from impressive and too few in the last a few seasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he was just at his limit & has an amazing poker face. If he could have gone he would have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a rule in bike racing: if you don't like someone sucking your wheel, then drop them.
There is no requirement to go to the front and pull.
Think about that when you watch bike racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, an 8-stage race with three lead changes, Quintana throwing everything at Bernal on stage 7 (and Bernal sitting on Quintana’s wheel) and then laying down a 50k attack on final stage is a real snoozer and lack of effort.
Quote Reply