Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CdA values for modern boutique road race wheels?
Quote | Reply
Hello All:
I've recently been looking at modern race wheels; Campy Eurus and Shamal, Fulcrum Racing Zero and One, Mavic Ksyrium etc. They all claim to be aero but don't look that aero to me with lots of sharp corners / machine surfaces. Are any of you aware of any unbiased source for drag numbers for these types of boutique wheels? Maybe German Tour magazine or something like that? A search turned up the CyclingPowerLab page but they report watts saved and time differences that seem unrealistic to me.
Also, what modern wheel would be the closest to the 80s era Rovals? From what I recall, those actually had very low drag and a low profile (so low side loading in crosswinds). Anything like that available now? With unbiased CdA values?
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: CdA values for modern boutique road race wheels? [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hambini probably isn't the place to go.
Quote Reply
Re: CdA values for modern boutique road race wheels? [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jim,

From memory, around 2010 or so, Mavic wheels with thick alloy or carbon spokes had the highest drag, by a lot. The spokes were flattened, so I guess they could say "aero" but those wheels were the slowest wheels in the WorldTour. Similar thick-spoked Campy wheels too. Second slowest were the carbon spoked ADA/Lightweight/Cosmic Ultimate. (Though that didn't stop Ryder from winning the Giro on them.)

Hed used to have WT data on their site. I didn't see it there with a quick check just now, but I'd trust that if you can find it. Maybe try archive.org?

Jack Mott compiled public tests at http://www.aeroweenie.com/ but I don't know if you'd call them unbiased? Maybe Tom A's are good (linked from there). Anyway, with enough tests, even biased, one might get a feel for what features generally lead to low drag wheels.

Tires can have a big influence, and were often not specified in older tests. Sadly the hand-made "cotton" tires have great road feel but terrible drag. We scanned a bunch of tires and once you see the cross sections in 2D it becomes really clear why.

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: CdA values for modern boutique road race wheels? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Damon! Sad to hear what you say but confirms how they look to me.
I would definitely trust what Steve put on the website and will look for the archived site. Aeroweenie looks promising, thanks for that link.
Yes, I know the tire is highly influential but even with the best tire these boutique wheels look like they would be high drag. Almost like something an engineer would concoct as a joke. Maybe they are, in fact, a joke on the cycling public!
Cheers,
Jim

damon_rinard wrote:
Hi Jim,
From memory, around 2010 or so, Mavic wheels with thick alloy or carbon spokes had the highest drag, by a lot. The spokes were flattened, so I guess they could say "aero" but those wheels were the slowest wheels in the WorldTour. Similar thick-spoked Campy wheels too. Second slowest were the carbon spoked ADA/Lightweight/Cosmic Ultimate. (Though that didn't stop Ryder from winning the Giro on them.)

Hed used to have WT data on their site. I didn't see it there with a quick check just now, but I'd trust that if you can find it. Maybe try archive.org?

Jack Mott compiled public tests at http://www.aeroweenie.com/ but I don't know if you'd call them unbiased? Maybe Tom A's are good (linked from there). Anyway, with enough tests, even biased, one might get a feel for what features generally lead to low drag wheels.

Tires can have a big influence, and were often not specified in older tests. Sadly the hand-made "cotton" tires have great road feel but terrible drag. We scanned a bunch of tires and once you see the cross sections in 2D it becomes really clear why.

Cheers,
Damon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused by what you mean by "road race wheels." What you're talking about are more like today's "training wheels."

This is what "road race wheels" look like now, and without evidence, I wouldn't be surprised if they're all much more aero than your 80's Rovals.

Last edited by: trail: Mar 28, 19 7:08
Quote Reply
Re: CdA values for modern boutique road race wheels? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Trail:
Are you saying the Fulcrum Racing Zero is not marketed as a race wheel?
Sorry but the pic you linked isn't showing up. There are likely some good wheels out there for sure but there are also wheels that cost $1000-2000 that are high drag as Damon mentioned.
Cheers,
Jim

trail wrote:
I'm confused by what you mean by "road race wheels." What you're talking about are more like today's "training wheels."
This is what "road race wheels" look like now, and without evidence, I wouldn't be surprised if they're all much more aero than your 80's Rovals.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jim,

When I worked at Trek years ago, Jeff Bogstad, Trek's wheel manufacturing engineer, proposed large diameter hollow spokes in aluminum or carbon fiber. We laughed. Then Mavic launched R-Sys, LOL!

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Hi Trail:
Are you saying the Fulcrum Racing Zero is not marketed as a race wheel?

No, just that almost no one sponsored by Fulcrum actually uses that model to race with.
Quote Reply
Re: CdA values for modern boutique road race wheels? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch! I am imagining the scene in a meeting room. Too funny (for everyone except Jeff). Then again, how much money did Mavic make off their (slow but ever so light?) R-Sys?
Cheers,
Jim

damon_rinard wrote:
Hi Jim,
When I worked at Trek years ago, Jeff Bogstad, Trek's wheel manufacturing engineer, proposed large diameter hollow spokes in aluminum or carbon fiber. We laughed. Then Mavic launched R-Sys, LOL!

Cheers,
Damon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better question: how much did they lose when the wheels started failing?
Quote Reply
Re: CdA values for modern boutique road race wheels? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:

To me, the most humorous part about that whole episode was BikeSnobNYC's introduction of a new unit for compressive force, the "Diminutive Frenchman" <doh!>

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/...in-sky-keeps-on.html

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Fulcrum Racing Zero

This doesn't look aero to you?.... ;)

Back when I investigated this... 12+ years ago?.. I concluded that a simple 25+mm aluminum with minimal aero steel spokes was nearly as good as deep aero wheel at low yaw. And this was back when all the rims were narrow. The gap might be closer now, especially if you put a smallish tire on that rim.

But the boutique wheels with sharp edges, voids, and fat spokes (aluminum or carbon) were not so good. I'll see if I can dig up some old data off my computer.
Quote Reply
Re: CdA values for modern boutique road race wheels? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was this really a thing? I have a set of 2012 models and they have been bulletproof for me. I must really be easy on my stuff. ;)

RChung wrote:

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: CdA values for modern boutique road race wheels? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Fulcrum Racing Zero
But the boutique wheels with sharp edges, voids, and fat spokes (aluminum or carbon) were not so good. I'll see if I can dig up some old data off my computer.

Very cool, would love to see data if you can find it.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. PM me your email.
Quote Reply
Re: CdA values for modern boutique road race wheels? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rruf, that design looks like a kamm tail to me. Lol
Quote Reply